Great Horned Owl approach & settings

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello group! I'm hoping to get some help from you seasoned photographers on how to better approach this subject the next time (hopefully) it occurs.

I LOVE owls, and have always wanted to get a photograph of one. Well, Friday night, walking through a local nature preserve about 1/2 hour before sunset, I just happened to look to my left and was stunned to see a handsome Great Horned Owl sitting in a tree at a pretty far distance from me (I admit...I'm terrible at judging distance). I couldn't believe it! So I'd like your critique on how I went about getting the shots you see below.

APPROACH:
1. Even though too far away, took some shots just to document the event in case the owl decided to leave.
2. Slowly started progressing along the path which was winding, but would end up right next to the tree the owl was in.
3. Kept my eye on other things except the owl as I walked so as not to spook it by staring constantly.
4. Stopped and snapped some shots every 10 yards that I got closer.
5. Didn't want to get too close and bother it, so took my final shots from what felt like a respectable distance away.

SHOOTING (Nikon D500 with 500mm PF 5.6 lens)
S-1250 A-7.1 ISO-AUTO(500) WB-Auto (I was nervous/excited and still had my shutter set for moving birds which led to the higher ISO)
After some of the shots were taken, I dropped my Aperture to 5.6, Changed the WB to sunny, and upped the EC to +1

Overall, I'm extremely happy to have had the opportunity, but know I didn't get the quality of shots I would eventually like to get. Admittedly, I'm not the best hand held photographer (especially when I'm excited like I was in this case! lol) so I think some of the softness can be blamed on me. Also, I found the light really challenging. It's weird, but it seemed bright, but inadequate at the same time. I think (and I could be wrong) that with the sun just starting to dip below the trees it maybe was just a hair later than would have been ideal. Again, with better skill at adjusting the settings perhaps I would have been able to combat that.

Anyway, thanks for making it to the end of this long post (if you did) :) I appreciate all your feedback and expertise!
Great_Horned_Owl1_MNP_1200w.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
Great_Horned_Owl2_MNP.jpg
Great_Horned_Owl3_MNP_1200w.jpg

Last edited:
Congrats on the find and the shots you came away with. I'd say you did pretty well, John. All I'll say about your settings is that for birds/BIF I'd leave that 500 PF set wide open all the time. I joke that on mine I don't even know if the aperture blades work. Regarding approaching the bird, what you described is about typical. Particularly if you were on a path in a park or well trafficked area the bird is probably used to seeing people there. At some point getting closer doesn't do you any good as the angle starts to work against you. IMO shooting up at a sharp angle at birds doesn't present well.

Congrats on the find and the shots you came away with. I'd say you did pretty well, John. All I'll say about your settings is that for birds/BIF I'd leave that 500 PF set wide open all the time. I joke that on mine I don't even know if the aperture blades work. Regarding approaching the bird, what you described is about typical. Particularly if you were on a path in a park or well trafficked area the bird is probably used to seeing people there. At some point getting closer doesn't do you any good as the angle starts to work against you. IMO shooting up at a sharp angle at birds doesn't present well.
Thanks Dan. I'll try shooting wide open next time. I think I was hedging my bet by stopping down to 7.1 just to be sure I got enough in focus. In truth though, at the distance I was, even at 5.6 it shouldn't have been a problem. The biggest problem I have is me...lol. I'm like a kid in a candy store when I see something unusual like this and my brain turns to mush when it comes to composing the shot, and getting the settings right. With time, hopefully I become more skilled. Thanks again.

Fantastic shots!

I would agree that the bird was probably used to seeing people. I wonder how many people walked right past the bird and never noticed it!
Thanks Andrew! Honestly, it was just dumb luck that I happened to look in that direction. The path we were on was pretty mucky, and we had considered turning around shortly before I saw it. At first I thought it was either a paper wasp nest or a peeled piece of bark (both of which I often see and mistake for being owls! lol)

Those are really good. I'd be happy to get photos of a GHO that were half as good, for all the hours I spend in the great outdoors (at least 25 hours a week) I seldom see them; had one on a nest earlier this year, but now the nest is apparently deserted -- the female was probably shot since the nest was easily seen from, and within easy rifle shot, of a road.

Back