Great Horned Owl Chick Flight Training

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DRwyoming

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Went camping this week and spent some time with some Great Horned Owls nesting up on the walls of a narrow canyon. Right around sunset one evening as the light was fading this little guy started hopping around on high ledges flapping his wings:

Z81_9796--20240523-web.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Z81_9126--20240523-web.jpg

After a bit he did some small hops across the ledge. I love the look of concentration :)

Z81_9775--20240523-web.jpg

And eventually took off on some short test flights:

Z81_9850--20240523-web.jpg

Came back the following evening and he still hadn't fully fledged but it can't be much longer...

Z81_4645--20240523-web.jpg

Went camping this week and spent some time with some Great Horned Owls nesting up on the walls of a narrow canyon. Right around sunset one evening as the light was fading this little guy started hopping around on high ledges flapping his wings:

View attachment 89944

View attachment 89943

After a bit he did some small hops across the ledge. I love the look of concentration :)

View attachment 89945

And eventually took off on some short test flights:

View attachment 89946

Came back the following evening and he still hadn't fully fledged but it can't be much longer...

View attachment 89947
Awesome set Dave! Sounds like you had a great time. Well done👍👍👍

I agree with SMB. All the photos are incredible.! When I read SMB's comment, I went back to the last photo and first then did I notice the baby :) Years ago, we had a baby Great Horned fall from it's nest in our subdivision across from our house. I was able to take a few photos before a rehab place came and put up a basket up in the tree nest to the original nest which I think had another baby in it and put the baby in that. Parents took care of it and a short while later - a few weeks - it flew down again. I went to photograph it and it hissed at me...I jumped and was amazed how much it had changed. We were happy our pine tree had lots of vines under it for it to hide in as the crows were trying to get it. It did survive...at least at some point it flew away. So cool for me to see your photos of the owls in the wild! Thanks!

Back