Green Cay Birdlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Rassie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I was down in Boynton Beach, Florida, USA for a week of vacation this past week. There I met up with Ira (Irap) who lives in the area and he was kind enough to spend a few hours with me and my friends at Green Cay Nature Center & Wetlands. Ira is very knowledgeable about the local fauna and flora and while he guided us through the wetlands, provided us with a lot of information about the wildlife and flora found at the wetlands.

Ira, you're gentleman. Thanks very much for your advice and guidance, and for sacrificing some of your time for us. It is greatly appreciated. :)

We were there just after sunrise and the light made for great images. All of the images below were made with the Z6II, fitted with Nikkor 200-500mm F/5.6, TC-14E III on a monopod. This was the first time where I had spent a lot of time with the TC-14E III. While image quality is slightly degraded through the converter, I'm actually well pleased how they turned out.

Anhinga chick siblings just after sunrise.

Z62_5147A.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Glossy Ibis.

Z62_5164A.jpg

Grackles greeting the day

Z62_5180A.jpg

Yellow-crowned Night Heron

Z62_5221A.jpg

Very near where we found the above heron was the nest of a Red-shouldered Hawk. We saw it come flying into the nest where it sat tearing apart some prey. Not sure if there were chicks in the nest. After a while the hawk flew into another tree where it proceeded to rub its beak against the branches to clean it. That task accomplished, it started cleaning its plumage as well.

Z62_5302A.jpg

I was down in Boynton Beach, Florida, USA for a week of vacation this past week. There I met up with Ira (Irap) who lives in the area and he was kind enough to spend a few hours with me and my friends at Green Cay Nature Center & Wetlands. Ira is very knowledgeable about the local fauna and flora and while he guided us through the wetlands, provided us with a lot of information about the wildlife and flora found at the wetlands.

Ira, you're gentleman. Thanks very much for your advice and guidance, and for sacrificing some of your time for us. It is greatly appreciated. :)

We were there just after sunrise and the light made for great images. All of the images below were made with the Z6II, fitted with Nikkor 200-500mm F/5.6, TC-14E III on a monopod. This was the first time where I had spent a lot of time with the TC-14E III. While image quality is slightly degraded through the converter, I'm actually well pleased how they turned out.

View attachment 36505

Glossy Ibis.

View attachment 36506

View attachment 36507

View attachment 36508

Very near where we found the above heron was the nest of a Red-shouldered Hawk. We saw it come flying into the nest where it sat tearing apart some prey. Not sure if there were chicks in the nest. After a while the hawk flew into another tree where it proceeded to rub its beak against the branches to clean it. That task accomplished, it started cleaning its plumage as well.

View attachment 36509
Nice set of photos. Really like the Hawk.

View attachment 36505

Glossy Ibis.

View attachment 36506

View attachment 36507

View attachment 36508

View attachment 36509
Koos, It was nice meeting you and your friends. I’m glad you enjoyed yourself. It was fun for me too.

View attachment 36505

Glossy Ibis.

View attachment 36506

View attachment 36507

View attachment 36508

View attachment 36509
[/QUJob well done

Great shots Koos and great that you had a local "guide".
Thanks, Rick. We're looking to purchase a condo there for use as a vacation place to get away from the bad cold here for a while during winter. This will especially be great after I retire. Then I can see myself hanging out there with and doing some photo shoots with Ira. :)

Last edited:
Thanks, Rick. We're looking to purchase a condo there for use as a vacation place to get away from the bad cold here for a while during winter. This will especially be great after I retire. Then I can see myself hanging out there with and doing some photo shoots with Ira. ):
I never made it to Green Cay, but visited Wakodahatchee several times. The first time I went, I met Marilynne from Nikonites.com and she guided me around the place, and it was very valuable to have a guide. It's good that you had Ira meet you and show you the place and Ira, it was very good of you to do so.

Rassie, did you find a condo while you were there? Or did you end up going out with your camera instead? ;)

View attachment 36505

Glossy Ibis.

View attachment 36506

View attachment 36507

View attachment 36508

View attachment 36509
Looks like a productive day! Nice series of shots and variety.

Rassie, did you find a condo while you were there? Or did you end up going out with your camera instead? ;)

I did both. Checked out a few places for sale and spent time at Wakodahatchee and Green Cay. I'm working with a realtor in the area, so finding a condo is a work in progress.

View attachment 36505

Glossy Ibis.

View attachment 36506

View attachment 36507

View attachment 36508

View attachment 36509
Sounds like you had a great experience. From all the post I’ve read from Ira I’m not surprised how accommodating Ira was on your outing. 👍👍👍👍

Back