Green Heron

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

marklangner

Supporting Member
Marketplace
So I got up close and personal with this bird....mono pod (ouch), OLD non IS 300/f2.8 Canon lens, plus 1.4 extender....was all caught up photographing a small snowy egret when one of the group of bird watchers frantically motioned me to "come hither". Was an unfortunate grey overcast low contrast lighting day so went somewhat not expecting anything useful. Got this. I'd be hard pressed to find fault, but adrenaline was running high and I always want to learn and improve, so any comments are most welcome.
R5B12458 Green Heron Butorides virescrens.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

So I got up close and personal with this bird....mono pod (ouch), OLD non IS 300/f2.8 Canon lens, plus 1.4 extender....was all caught up photographing a small snowy egret when one of the group of bird watchers frantically motioned me to "come hither". Was an unfortunate grey overcast low contrast lighting day so went somewhat not expecting anything useful. Got this. I'd be hard pressed to find fault, but adrenaline was running high and I always want to learn and improve, so any comments are most welcome.View attachment 28288
Excellent capture Mark!👍👍👍

I really love this shot. The Green Heron is captured very well and I love the background - especially the branch with the lichens - which really shows off the cryptic coloring of the Heron's plumage. If you have a little more space around the Heron, I'd consider a crop version that includes a little more of that beautiful and mysterious background. Especially to the left, where the bird is looking. These are among my favorite Herons. I do a bit of birding from canoe and kayak...easier to get close to them that way.

So I got up close and personal with this bird....mono pod (ouch), OLD non IS 300/f2.8 Canon lens, plus 1.4 extender....was all caught up photographing a small snowy egret when one of the group of bird watchers frantically motioned me to "come hither". Was an unfortunate grey overcast low contrast lighting day so went somewhat not expecting anything useful. Got this. I'd be hard pressed to find fault, but adrenaline was running high and I always want to learn and improve, so any comments are most welcome.View attachment 28288
Great exposure, composition, color, detail, bokeh, etc. I might have moved slightly so that the twig is not coming out of its head or remove in pp.

If this were my shot to play with, I'd see what it would look like with that twig at the top of its head retouched out, and I'd pop the bird's buddy with a little gentle dodging mostly in the middle of it to see if it clarified the detail on the bird some, and to give it a little more three-dimensionality.

Back