If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For the 2nd time in the past 3 yrs, one of my photos taken during one of Steve's Costa Rica 2018 Workshop has placed in the Top 250 category in the NAPA Annual Expressions competition. Thanks, Steve for the all the tips and coaching!

Nikon D00, Sigma 500mm f/4+1.4 teleconverter at f/8, 1/200 sec., ISO 2500

G.Eyelash Viper-jmr.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

That is one fine photograph. Not sure what wows me more, the colours or the composition! :love:
Thanks, it's amazing how, in shade, those colors blend in to the moss and logs. The first time folks showed me one back in 2016, I made a vow to be much more careful where I placed my hands and feet in the Neotropics.

Congrats, newbie here, I wonder if the combo you mention Sigma 500+1.4x+D500 AF speed and accuracy are good for moving subjects? Tnx in advance.
I have no qualms using it on moving subjects. Here's another photo from a less exotic location (my back yard), with real motion involved, that made the Top 100 in this year's NAPA competition - same lens/camera combo with the lens at f/8, 1600/sec, ISO 500 :

Rufus Hummingbird Dispute-0805-IMG_00001.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Stunning! What amazing colors on that snake! Great photo!
Happy to help, but that shot is all yours! Well done and congrats!
Thanks Steve, but you get the credit for teaching us about the nuances of using reflected light.

Oooaaaaoooh !!! really impressive - you sold me on this combo !!! I just now need a back yard like yours :)
Tnx for the reply
It's always fun beginning in July when the hummingbirds are done breeding and start really hitting the feeders. With no travel this year so I spent a lot of time experimenting with my wife's favorite system (Olympus camera and lenses) and comparing results with my Nikon gear - found pros and cons with both.

Last edited: