Grip for D850

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Woodpecker

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi there, I play with the idea to replace my D750 + D7200 by one D850, but because I use all my cameras with a grip and I would like to get the 2 extra fps from the D850 I wouldn't want to use it without. In the past I was always going for the Nikon originals and bought them second hand, because there were all kinds of stories about third party copies like faster draining batteries etc. - many of those turned out to be true.
By the looks of it used MB-D18's are not easy to get and new they are really expensive, so I thouhgt I just ask around here for real life experience with third party grips. What are your thoughts about quality, sealing, really delivering the 9 fps, draining batteries etc. I couldn't find a thread around this topic, so I decided to start a new one ...

I no longer use that camera, but I bought a Vello grip from B-H and was very pleased with it. They offer two, one will not allow the up is FPS.
My 850 came with a free Nikon grip. That grip did not fit well and felt loose to the body. The Vello was fantastic.

I have the Vello grip (BG-N19-2) on a D850 for the last three year and its never failed. Not quite the same build quality as Nikon, but then a third of the price of the OEM one. It has all same control functions as the the OEM. Too achieve the 9 FPS you would need to get the EN_EL18a/b battery, the BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover and of course a charger for the battery.

The extra battery in the Vello grip only extends the camera's shooting time. To get the higher frame rate you need the EN-EL 18 battery which is rated at 10.8v compared to the EN-EL15 which is 7.2v. There are a number of third party options available as the Nikon pricing may come as as shock. I have used the Wasabi battery and charger and it delivers the 9fps.

I have the Vello grip (BG-N19-2) on a D850 for the last three year and its never failed. Not quite the same build quality as Nikon, but then a third of the price of the OEM one. It has all same control functions as the the OEM. Too achieve the 9 FPS you would need to get the EN_EL18a/b battery, the BL-5 Battery Chamber Cover and of course a charger for the battery.

The extra battery in the Vello grip only extends the camera's shooting time. To get the higher frame rate you need the EN-EL 18 battery which is rated at 10.8v compared to the EN-EL15 which is 7.2v. There are a number of third party options available as the Nikon pricing may come as as shock. I have used the Wasabi battery and charger and it delivers the 9fps.

Thanks. As I also use a D4S I have already EN-EL18x in use (Nikon as well as 3rd party, in my case Patona) the battery question is not a problem. In fact if I get a D850 with a grip I seriously think of forgetting the EN-EL15 batteries. The only thing worrying me is charging. For the EN-EL-15 I have found good USB chargers that even work with my portable solar panel, but up to now I haven't found anything liek that for the EN-EL18, although it would be electronically possible to get a charging voltage of more than 10,8V created from a 5V source like a USB-port.

I will have a look for a Vello grip here, but as far as I know they only sell in the US.

Back