Guidance for Yellowstone in winter

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Martin_Farrell

Martin Farrell
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi guys. I am from the UK and have travelled extensively arround the world apart from the USA! Now its time to sort that out. I am thinking about a trip to Yellowstone in winter. My usual modus operandi when arriving in new places is to try and get a local guide to show me the ropes.
Do any of you guys know of anyone suitable and any great places to stay and must visit places for wildlife? We dont tend to join groups and we also do video work and most still shooters end up ripping there hair out at the slow pace that video works at.
Any ideas welcome.

Yellowstone is a very big park. You likely will stay in 2-3 locations for that park. I've experienced temperatures as low as -45 F in Yellowstone, so you need to be safe and prepared for weather with emergency supplies. There is no cell phone coverage in most areas. I'd plan a trip of at least a full week so you can adjust to weather. This year has had minimal snowfall, and when that happens wildlife continues to graze in higher elevation areas rather than wintering in the valleys. Other years you may have 5 feet of snow on the ground, and it makes seeing wildlife much easier since animals concentrate in lower elevations and can be seen more easily against snowy landscapes.

Gardiner, Montana on the northern entrance to the park is close to Mammoth Hot Springs and the road to Cooke City which passes through Lamar Valley. The road from Gardiner to Cooke City is maintained for cars throughout the year, and you can normally drive on it in a normal car even in years with a lot of snow. Still, I would recommend an SUV with 4 wheel drive. Lamar Valley is normally a very good location for wildlife and landscapes and with good activity justifies several visits. Gardiner to Cooke City and the return is a full day activity. The nearest airport for Gardiner is Bozeman MT.

West Yellowstone is the normal location for commercial snow coaches as well as entry to the geyser areas such as Old Faithful. Transportation is by snow coach or snow mobile only. These areas are known for wildlife - especially bison around the geyser areas. You'll also possible see birds and elk along the Yellowstone River. You need to arrange commercial transportation for this area and a snow coach is normally the preferred choice. Snow coaches can be overfilled by tour operators so be sure to pick a vendor or guide that caters to photographers. West Yellowstone is a 3-4 hour drive from Gardiner all outside the park.

The third and final area is not in Yellowstone at all - it's to the south in Grand Teton National Park. Wildlife is a bit more accessible at Grand Teton. You can normally use an SUV for travel, but roads may close with heavy snow. There are lodges as well as commercial photo leaders in the area, but you can visit Grand Teton by yourself. Jackson WY is a ski town and is open and busy throughout the winter. There is a small airport just outside Jackson with car rental.

NANPA (North American Nature Photography Association) has been hosting trips for members at discounted rates led by NANPA members who live in the area. It's a good option for a three day trip, then do the rest on your own. Visit NANPA.org for details. I think they are just starting a sold out trip for 2022. http://www.nanpa.org/events/regionals/yellowstone-snowcoach-2022/

All three of the NANPA leaders are excellent. You might also look at Trent Sizemore - a young pro and NANPA member living in the area.

Yellowstone is a very big park. You likely will stay in 2-3 locations for that park. I've experienced temperatures as low as -45 F in Yellowstone, so you need to be safe and prepared for weather with emergency supplies. There is no cell phone coverage in most areas. I'd plan a trip of at least a full week so you can adjust to weather. This year has had minimal snowfall, and when that happens wildlife continues to graze in higher elevation areas rather than wintering in the valleys. Other years you may have 5 feet of snow on the ground, and it makes seeing wildlife much easier since animals concentrate in lower elevations and can be seen more easily against snowy landscapes.

Gardiner, Montana on the northern entrance to the park is close to Mammoth Hot Springs and the road to Cooke City which passes through Lamar Valley. The road from Gardiner to Cooke City is maintained for cars throughout the year, and you can normally drive on it in a normal car even in years with a lot of snow. Still, I would recommend an SUV with 4 wheel drive. Lamar Valley is normally a very good location for wildlife and landscapes and with good activity justifies several visits. Gardiner to Cooke City and the return is a full day activity. The nearest airport for Gardiner is Bozeman MT.

West Yellowstone is the normal location for commercial snow coaches as well as entry to the geyser areas such as Old Faithful. Transportation is by snow coach or snow mobile only. These areas are known for wildlife - especially bison around the geyser areas. You'll also possible see birds and elk along the Yellowstone River. You need to arrange commercial transportation for this area and a snow coach is normally the preferred choice. Snow coaches can be overfilled by tour operators so be sure to pick a vendor or guide that caters to photographers. West Yellowstone is a 3-4 hour drive from Gardiner all outside the park.

The third and final area is not in Yellowstone at all - it's to the south in Grand Teton National Park. Wildlife is a bit more accessible at Grand Teton. You can normally use an SUV for travel, but roads may close with heavy snow. There are lodges as well as commercial photo leaders in the area, but you can visit Grand Teton by yourself. Jackson WY is a ski town and is open and busy throughout the winter. There is a small airport just outside Jackson with car rental.

NANPA (North American Nature Photography Association) has been hosting trips for members at discounted rates led by NANPA members who live in the area. It's a good option for a three day trip, then do the rest on your own. Visit NANPA.org for details. I think they are just starting a sold out trip for 2022. http://www.nanpa.org/events/regionals/yellowstone-snowcoach-2022/

All three of the NANPA leaders are excellent. You might also look at Trent Sizemore - a young pro and NANPA member living in the area.

Wow! Good answer! Is the elk refuge likely to have a lot to see in winter? No elk there in summer or spring the times I've been there.

Wow! Good answer! Is the elk refuge likely to have a lot to see in winter? No elk there in summer or spring the times I've been there.
Thousands of elk in the refuge right now. But yeah, they wander out of the refuge to the high country come spring and don't return until late fall.

A lot of photographers bring long lenses and shoot alongside the highway through the fences into the elk refuge but it's fun to pay for the sleigh rides that go out to feed the elk. You basically go out on a horse drawn sleigh and are surrounded by hundreds of elk as they push feed off the back of the sleighs. About the only time you can shoot frame filling elk images with your widest angle lenses :)

Last edited:

Thanks Eric. Great info. I am googling it now :) I am looking to go in 2023 some I have some time to get things booked. This year full up with Africa trips.

Thanks Eric. Great info. I am googling it now :) I am looking to go in 2023 some I have some time to get things booked. This year full up with Africa trips.

Ive not been there in winter. Have a fall trip scheduled this year. It's an amazing place, like 4 national parks in one. The geyser basin, the falls area, the valleys and mount washburn, mammoth area, yellowstone lake area,

Hi guys. I am from the UK and have travelled extensively arround the world apart from the USA! Now its time to sort that out. I am thinking about a trip to Yellowstone in winter. My usual modus operandi when arriving in new places is to try and get a local guide to show me the ropes.
Do any of you guys know of anyone suitable and any great places to stay and must visit places for wildlife? We dont tend to join groups and we also do video work and most still shooters end up ripping there hair out at the slow pace that video works at.
Any ideas welcome.
As Eric mentioned, Yellowstone is a very big place, so you'll need to narrow your focus. If wildlife is your primary objective, then you might want to concentrate your efforts in the Lamar and Hayden valleys. Getting around in the winter is not for the faint of heart, so having a guide with a good vehicle is definitely advisable. The organization Yellowstone Forever (https://www.yellowstone.org/) offers a number of excellent winter photography (and other) programs - all led by highly experienced and knowledgeable people. Another excellent program is Earth Spirit (https://earthspiritedu.org/), which runs two, 10-day trips to Yellowstone annually - one in summer and the other in winter - led by a couple of extremely competent gents who have been leading the Yellowstone trips for 25 years. While not photography trips per se, they are wildlife focused, and provide many good wildlife viewing opportunities. In addition, there are numerous, experienced guides in the area - a typical daily rate for one runs between $600 and $1000, which can get expensive if you're planning to be there for a number of days. In any event, I would definitely advise against traveling on your own during winter, especially since it will be your first visit. It's an easy place to get in trouble fairly quickly if you're not fully prepared.

As Eric mentioned, Yellowstone is a very big place, so you'll need to narrow your focus. If wildlife is your primary objective, then you might want to concentrate your efforts in the Lamar and Hayden valleys. Getting around in the winter is not for the faint of heart, so having a guide with a good vehicle is definitely advisable. The organization Yellowstone Forever (https://www.yellowstone.org/) offers a number of excellent winter photography (and other) programs - all led by highly experienced and knowledgeable people. Another excellent program is Earth Spirit (https://earthspiritedu.org/), which runs two, 10-day trips to Yellowstone annually - one in summer and the other in winter - led by a couple of extremely competent gents who have been leading the Yellowstone trips for 25 years. While not photography trips per se, they are wildlife focused, and provide many good wildlife viewing opportunities. In addition, there are numerous, experienced guides in the area - a typical daily rate for one runs between $600 and $1000, which can get expensive if you're planning to be there for a number of days. In any event, I would definitely advise against traveling on your own during winter, especially since it will be your first visit. It's an easy place to get in trouble fairly quickly if you're not fully prepared.
Thanks Eric, that is great advice. I would definitely like to have someone that knows the ropes.

"Yellowstone in winter" is one of the most popular wildlife photography tour destinations. There are multiple trips planned every winter led by multiple leaders. I myself am headed there in a few weeks. My trip will be led by Barbara Eddy, but if you Google "Yellowstone in winter wildlife photography tours" behold! You will get almost endless hits and alternatives. Yes, planning for the cold is a big deal, I understand, and the particular weather and temperatures (and snow conditions) are, of course, not predictable. My guess is that these snowcoach tours tend to go to the same places pretty much, but that the longer your trip and more places you go to. Duh.

After I return (I chose this particular tour so that I can get back just before Superbowl Sunday :), I will report my two cents' worth. But I bet a lot of people in this forum have taken this tour (one of the many) and have experience to share.

"Yellowstone in winter" is one of the most popular wildlife photography tour destinations. There are multiple trips planned every winter led by multiple leaders. I myself am headed there in a few weeks. My trip will be led by Barbara Eddy, but if you Google "Yellowstone in winter wildlife photography tours" behold! You will get almost endless hits and alternatives. Yes, planning for the cold is a big deal, I understand, and the particular weather and temperatures (and snow conditions) are, of course, not predictable. My guess is that these snowcoach tours tend to go to the same places pretty much, but that the longer your trip and more places you go to. Duh.

After I return (I chose this particular tour so that I can get back just before Superbowl Sunday :), I will report my two cents' worth. But I bet a lot of people in this forum have taken this tour (one of the many) and have experience to share.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, your trip report will be most welcome.(y)

Back