Gura Gear 30L Reg / 30 L + question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For anyone here using the Gura Gear, I am looking for one that will hold the Nikkor 600 f/4 TC with the hood (backward). Like the 30+ due to the laptop compartment, but see it's 5.5 inches vs 5.9 inches.

Appreciatefeedback.

Thanks

I can fit my Z 600 f/4 TC with hood reversed on one side of the Gura Gear 30L (no laptop compartment). It’s a little tight but works. Not sure if it would work on the one wit the laptop compartment. Gura Gear makes quality packs.

For anyone here using the Gura Gear, I am looking for one that will hold the Nikkor 600 f/4 TC with the hood (backward). Like the 30+ due to the laptop compartment, but see it's 5.5 inches vs 5.9 inches.

Appreciatefeedback.

Thanks
Know this belongs in Buy/Sell, but responding to question here. I’ve got a 32L Guru Gear Betaflae that has all the dividers and is in excellent condition, although the zippers aren’t as smooth as their new backpacks. Considering selling as it carrys two mounted bodies, 70-200 2.8, 80-400 and a 16-80. That all becomes too heavy for me to carry. Friend put his body mounted 180-600 with room to spare. Check internet for interior dimensions. Overall ext: 9“X14”x21”. Definitely longer than my 30L. No laptop sleeve.

Last edited:
Know this belongs in Buy/Sell, but responding to question here. I’ve got a 32L Guru Gear Betaflae that has all the dividers and is in excellent condition, although the zippers aren’t as smooth as their new backpacks. Considering selling as it carrys two mounted bodies, 70-200 2.8, 80-400 and a 16-80. That all becomes too heavy for me to carry. Friend put his body mounted 180-600 with room to spare. Check internet for interior dimensions. Overall ext: 9“X14”x21”. Definitely longer than my 30L. No laptop sleeve.
I'm interested in your 32L.

Trying to figure out how to send 3 pictures to you. Went into APS Elements and sent to myself as JPEG files, but I don’t get them. If I take original JPEG off sd card and paste, it says files are too big! 😱
You would have to go in and resize, I'll send you my email on a private message.

Well, i decided to take one for the team and bought both to try them out. My findings... the 600mm TC with hood attached will fit into both bags. However, the 30L is about half an inch deeper and the lens rest lower in the pocket. I didn't like the hood riding higher in the 30L+ even though the zippered flap covered it, it pushed on the $1000 hood more than I liked (to each his/her own).

Also, my Z9 has a RRS L bracket attached which makes it sit a littlel higher. The deeper pocket helps there as well. I bought a Gura Gear Chobe to carry my laptop in.

So, I sent back the 30L+.

You really have to evaluate your use case as always.

I saw in his latest video that @Steve is using the new 30L+ and seems to be working for him.

You might try packing the hood separately in luggage or get one of those folding soft hoods for travel I forgot the brand name.

Appreciatefeedback.

Thanks

I ordered both the GG Kiboko 30L and 30L+ models to test out for myself how well they each could fit my 600 f/4 TC (with OEM hood attached). You can see my comparison comments and photos in this post: https://bcgforums.com/threads/whats-in-my-bag-africa-2024.35150/post-396137.

I was barely able to squeeze the lens and hood combo into the 30L+ model, so it was a very tight fit and the bulging was noticeable (also I could feel it through the back padding when I put on the pack). I didn't even try to put my 16" MBP in the sleeve with the 600 TC inside. I did confirm that the laptop did fit in the sleeve when the bag was empty, and it "might" have fit with the 600 inside if I removed the lens hood, but I was trying to avoid that option, so in the end I didn't test that combo.

The lens and hood was much easier to pack inside the regular 30L model. I would say that it fit comfortably with some wiggle room to spare.

So at the end of the day I decided to return the 30L+ laptop model and keep the regular 30L version. This didn't bother me too much, as it is not that critical for me to be able to carry a laptop in my camera bag. I'm not going to be hiking around in the field with one, right? There are plenty of travel options for bringing a computer along on a trip, like a messenger style bag, or a variety of other types of bags that meet the airline "personal item" criteria. I'll be perfectly happy carrying my computer using one of those options while traveling.

Last edited:
A few weeks before a planned trip to Central America, I received my Gura Gear 30L. No small airplanes this trip so weight is not an issue but keeping all my kit with me is a priority. I packed the 30L with:
- 400 TC 2.8 with Zemlin lens cap
- 70-200 2.8
- 24-70 2.8
- TC 14 and TC 20
- Z9 body
- Z6ii body
- Spare batteries
- Spare memory cards
- Lens & sensor cleaning kit

I found it easier to put the 400 mm lens hood on the opposite side from the lens and on end since it is a little shorter than it is wide. I could fit the 400 mm lens with camera attached but I feel safer with the camera and lens separate. There is still plenty of room left over for other small items. My laptop is in a personal item bag.

I also tried replacing the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses with a Tamron 150-500 and the 24-120 4.0. It still fit easily. I would normally prefer this kit for my trips in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. This is my first photography trip with tropical birds so I am going with my guide's suggestion that wider aperture trumps reach and flexibility in the jungle.

I ordered both the GG Kiboko 30L and 30L+ models to test out for myself how well they each could fit my 600 f/4 TC (with OEM hood attached). You can see my comparison comments and photos in this post: https://bcgforums.com/threads/whats-in-my-bag-africa-2024.35150/post-396137.

I was barely able to squeeze the lens and hood combo into the 30L+ model, so it was a very tight fit and the bulging was noticeable (also I could feel it through the back padding when I put on the pack). I didn't even try to put my 16" MBP in the sleeve with the 600 TC inside. I did confirm that the laptop did fit in the sleeve when the bag was empty, and it "might" have fit with the 600 inside if I removed the lens hood, but I was trying to avoid that option, so in the end I didn't test that combo.

The lens and hood was much easier to pack inside the regular 30L model. I would say that it fit comfortably with some wiggle room to spare.

So at the end of the day I decided to return the 30L+ laptop model and keep the regular 30L version. This didn't bother me too much, as it is not that critical for me to be able to carry a laptop in my camera bag. I'm not going to be hiking around in the field with one, right? There are plenty of travel options for bringing a computer along on a trip, like a messenger style bag, or a variety of other types of bags that meet the airline "personal item" criteria. I'll be perfectly happy carrying my computer using one of those options while traveling.
See several posts saying the same thing. I like several ordered two to see what would work best, but sure like to have another inch of depth! I’d Don’t know why Gura Gear doesn’t add an inch to the depth of the 30L? (12.6” x 20.47” x 6.69"). They still would be well within major airline regs of 14” x 22” x 9”.
The 32l Betaflae was 14” x 21” x9”. Not sure why they didn’t stay with that?

A few weeks before a planned trip to Central America, I received my Gura Gear 30L. No small airplanes this trip so weight is not an issue but keeping all my kit with me is a priority. I packed the 30L with:
- 400 TC 2.8 with Zemlin lens cap
- 70-200 2.8
- 24-70 2.8
- TC 14 and TC 20
- Z9 body
- Z6ii body
- Spare batteries
- Spare memory cards
- Lens & sensor cleaning kit

I found it easier to put the 400 mm lens hood on the opposite side from the lens and on end since it is a little shorter than it is wide. I could fit the 400 mm lens with camera attached but I feel safer with the camera and lens separate. There is still plenty of room left over for other small items. My laptop is in a personal item bag.

I also tried replacing the 24-70 and 70-200 2.8 lenses with a Tamron 150-500 and the 24-120 4.0. It still fit easily. I would normally prefer this kit for my trips in Oregon, Washington and British Columbia. This is my first photography trip with tropical birds so I am going with my guide's suggestion that wider aperture trumps reach and flexibility in the jungle.
Thanks, this is great info. I am going to be taking a trip this summer with very similar gear (renting the 400 f/2.8 TC) and was wondering whether it would all fit in my GG bag.

With my big lenses I use a Lenscoat travel hood that flattens and sits on top of the lens compartments. It adjusts for a wide range of lens diameters. I was concerned about having a cracked lens hood that would cost $600 to replace.

Back