Hard Drive Question

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DougC

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I keep seeing ads for little screw on brackets thst hold a hard drive on the little metal cages people use for various video accessories. If the camera can’t write directly to the hard drive (for still photos), then why attach the drive? Will the camera record video directly to the hard drive?

I keep seeing ads for little screw on brackets thst hold a hard drive on the little metal cages people use for various video accessories. If the camera can’t write directly to the hard drive (for still photos), then why attach the drive? Will the camera record video directly to the hard drive?
It's a common feature on all cinema cameras, who traditionally required lots of memory and rarely/ever had internal memory cards (for heat reasons). Some hybrids like the new Panny and maybe Fuji has that as well. As far as I know, not applicable to stills and not on any of the flagships from Nikon, Canon, and Sony. In many cases, that's done through the HDMI, not USB connection.

Two trends to watch for re storage: (1) direct to cloud, similar to what Fuji just released on the red-hot 100vi with built-in frame.io and (2) built in ssd like Hassy started to do. I'm not really seeing anyone investing in external SSD recording for stills.

It's a common feature on all cinema cameras, who traditionally required lots of memory and rarely/ever had internal memory cards (for heat reasons). Some hybrids like the new Panny and maybe Fuji has that as well. As far as I know, not applicable to stills and not on any of the flagships from Nikon, Canon, and Sony. In many cases, that's done through the HDMI, not USB connection.

Two trends to watch for re storage: (1) direct to cloud, similar to what Fuji just released on the red-hot 100vi with built-in frame.io and (2) built in ssd like Hassy started to do. I'm not really seeing anyone investing in external SSD recording for stills.
Wouldn't it be great if everyone shipped their cameras (at least the 'pro' bodies) with 1 TB of internal memory like Hasselblad has done!

Back