Harris Hawks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

MalcolmP

Supporting Member
Marketplace
210624 Harris Hawk In Flight 20200521-DSC_5873 copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
200917 Hawks 20200521-DSC_5805 ON1 14x14 copy.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Nikon D850, Nikkor 80-400 f/4.5-5.6 1/1250 f/8 ISO 1400

Very cool and nicely done...would love the chance to see and shoot these guys. I had the chance to see and photograph a Harris Hawk on a business trip to Florida two years ago. Oddly, it was when a falconer brought the Hawk and a few other birds to the hotel for a planned event and falconry demonstration. He had it flying "freely" around the grounds of the hotel. Though I got a few decent shots, I immediately lamented the fact that my shots were not of a wild bird. In the forum here we often debate the costs of long lenses. I was quite stunned at what the cost of some of these exotic birds was.

Very cool and nicely done...would love the chance to see and shoot these guys. I had the chance to see and photograph a Harris Hawk on a business trip to Florida two years ago. Oddly, it was when a falconer brought the Hawk and a few other birds to the hotel for a planned event and falconry demonstration. He had it flying "freely" around the grounds of the hotel. Though I got a few decent shots, I immediately lamented the fact that my shots were not of a wild bird. In the forum here we often debate the costs of long lenses. I was quite stunned at what the cost of some of these exotic birds was.
They are fairly common here in the Phoenix area. They often work in trios. One will capture the attention of a quail on the ground and one of the other two will swoop in from behind for the pick. Trapping Harris Hawks here is legal and there is a market for falconers I stumbled on a trapper & asked him what he was doing with them. His response: “Teach him to hunt rabbits.” Pretty sure they know how to hunt rabbits.

Back