Has anyone gone solo to the Panama Canopy Tower Lodge complex?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I appreciate the above responses. Yes, my inclination would (still) be to spend more time at the Canopy Lodge than at the Canopy Tower, having been to some of the birding spots in the Tower vicinity just a few months ago. Also, the climate at the Lodge is a little more agreeable, since it is a couple of thousand feet higher in elevation. However, I have encountered resistance to my proposed trip from my wife, who usually is fine with my running off to do bird photography. This is something I take seriously, so this particular expedition might not happen.

Meanwhile, not to hijack my own thread, but I have also done a bit of looking at possibilities for bird photography in the Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest. Just about ALL of the birds there would be new for me, and there are some terrific spots for photography there. Moreover, there now are some newish Brazilian companies that offer small group photo tours for what seem like ridiculously low prices. The tours seem to need a minimum of just two people. If I could find another person to go with me, that would be very tempting. Anyone?

I will add that dreaming about faraway places and exotic birds to photograph is for me a free luxury, lots of fun.

Doug Greenberg

I appreciate the above responses. Yes, my inclination would (still) be to spend more time at the Canopy Lodge than at the Canopy Tower, having been to some of the birding spots in the Tower vicinity just a few months ago. Also, the climate at the Lodge is a little more agreeable, since it is a couple of thousand feet higher in elevation. However, I have encountered resistance to my proposed trip from my wife, who usually is fine with my running off to do bird photography. This is something I take seriously, so this particular expedition might not happen.

Meanwhile, not to hijack my own thread, but I have also done a bit of looking at possibilities for bird photography in the Brazilian Atlantic Rainforest. Just about ALL of the birds there would be new for me, and there are some terrific spots for photography there. Moreover, there now are some newish Brazilian companies that offer small group photo tours for what seem like ridiculously low prices. The tours seem to need a minimum of just two people. If I could find another person to go with me, that would be very tempting. Anyone?

I will add that dreaming about faraway places and exotic birds to photograph is for me a free luxury, lots of fun.

Doug Greenberg
My hand is up Doug....and I am thinking Bill might be interested as well. I am looking for something to do after Christmas this year in 2025.....

My hand is up Doug....and I am thinking Bill might be interested as well. I am looking for something to do after Christmas this year in 2025.....
Kim! That would be terrific. The flies (more than one) in the ointment are 1) the better time to go to the Brazil Atlantic Rainforest is the dry season, July through October. I suppose one could go during the rainy season (after all, I was/am considering the trip to Panama during the "Green Season.") But for me there is factor 2) that, admitting to one of my guilty pleasures in life, I am now reluctant to travel overseas during the height of the NFL season, in this case, the playoffs, which in recent years have involved my team of choice, the San Francisco 49ers. You actually might recall that during Glenn Bartley's Colombia trip we took together I holed up in my room one evening to watch one of the playoff games.

Rather than continuing the thread hijacking I will send you a PM.

Doug Greenberg

Doug, I’d be curious to check out the places/operators in Brazil you are referring to. I probably can’t commit to anything in 2025 as I have a two week landscape photo trip planned to Patagonia and the Chilean fjords in April, and a 5 day workshop in Alaska in September, both without my wife, so 2026 is my next opportunity. But I’d like to check those out nonetheless.

Above are links to two Brazilian-run websites that offer week-long (or longer) Atlantic Rainforest photo tours for what seem like very low prices. The feedback they have gotten on TripAdvisor has been positive (fwiw). My thought is that these are young guys (mostly guys) with love for nature who see an opportunity within what has been a growing international market for various kinds of ecotravel. They are offering their tours at atttractive prices in order to build clientele and reputation. That said, I have no direct experience, nor do I know anyone personally who has traveled with these companies. Going with them would be "an adventure," not as risk-free as traveling with an established U.S. or European-based company. But it might be terrific.
Doug Greenberg

Great photos! All from Canopy Tower?

I ask because the update to "my story" regarding possibly visiting this destination includes weighing the advantages and disadvantages of spending more time at the Canopy Tower vs. spending more time at the Canopy Lodge. The way the reservation system works, you can arrange for five days at one destination and then add three days at the other, all at favorable "package" prices. I actually have been to many (most?) of the guided birding destinations in the Canopy Tower area, having been to Panama on a birding tour with Eagle Eye Tours just this past March. Some, like the Pipeline Road, were impressive, but some others (e.g., the Rainforest Discover Center) were so-so. On the other hand, I have never visited the Canopy Lodge nor any of its day trip destinations.

The itinerary I proposed to the management of these facilities was for five nights at the Lodge and three at the Tower. Somewhat to my surprise, the head sales and operations agent, Gabriel, actually has tried to change my mind about this. He recommended that I spend the five nights at the Tower, because "we consider it to be the best for photographing birds and wildlife."

I wonder. Has anyone who has been to both destinations comment?
Doug Greenberg
I've been to all three but for birding not photography so I'm not sure how helpful my comments will be. For birding, you'd want all three at some point, because they have different species. Darien (Camp) is the one for multiple chances at Harpy Eagle & also Crested Eagle. They will know the nests that you can get to even on muddy rainy season roads, which would undoubtedly help you find places to set up for your photos. For Lodge vs. Tower, Canopy Lodge got me some different smaller species very easily even just walking around the paths but it felt like you were closer to people's homes or vacation homes in the immediate area of the lodge. That didn't stop me from getting close to a lot of birds, it may have even helped. At the time I was there (2019), lots of people-- not just the lodge itself-- had feeder set ups. Your guide may be thinking that because of the feeders etc, you might easily get all the species you want to get at Canopy Lodge & be ready to "watch the skies" a bit more from the Tower? I've only been at the Tower during migration, so that might influence my thinking here? You're going to have judge my comments for what they're worth because I only recently decided to take up photography. I was just birding during my trips to Panama in the past. No doubt I should plan a new trip myself.

Back