Has Nikon fallen asleep

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
New product introductions are down this year. There is plenty of F lens that have not been updated in the Z format.

There is a lack of strong DX body - Z8 with DX sensor would be a real winner IMO.

Could we see a blow out 1Q with all sorts of new replace and updated products?

Or are all the major camera/lens mfr having trouble introducing new products due to advanced chip and material (Mn) shortages?

Or is Nikon working on the Red integration into the product line. Big gamble here. They are losing momentum so unless some stellar comes out soon

What do you thing is going with Nikon? Quiet period? Red integration? Something will happen soon?

I don't think so. Development cycles, they rushed to get into the mirrorless world and I would guess now the development side has to catch up after the big push they had in new glass and bodies. I suspect you will see another big push by end of next year.

Nikon will, have 2 bodies this year, plus a few lenses. They've hit the common needed stuff, I'm sure they'll slow to 4 or 5 lenses a year at most since the remaining stuff is more unique (tilt shift, etc)

dont really miss DX anymore - Z9/8 gives enough cropping reserves.
the Z glass offering is very,very good as well meanwhile but I do miss:
a lightweight Z 300/2.8 (just like Sony's), 200mm/f2 Plena & a longer macro beyond 105mm e.g. 180/2.8 Macro

Things which I believe are coming: More glass (35 f/1.2, tilt-shifts, macro, telephoto primes, wide angle primes, cine); More cameras (DX updates, Z8/Z9 updates, RED video-centric); More firmware updates (AF improvements, content authentication, wireless comm with cloud/private servers)...

No need to fret about Nikon. :)

The company is fine. I just don’t like the fact that my friend is probably going to buy a Canon APS-C mirrorless because Nikon’s offerings in DX are truly sub par in terms of autofocus and frame rate.

Other than the entire DX line-up, what's missing?
Not knocking Nikon as personally I think their rollout of new lenses has been great. But there are definitely lenses that were once produced I'd love to see again:

- 300mm f/2.8 or something like a Z mount version of the stellar 120-300mm f/2.8
- 200mm f/4 micro (this was never updated to AF-S in the F mount lineup so we may never see it in Z mount but wow what a macro lens)
- 500mm f/4
- 24mm and perhaps 85mm Tilt Shift lenses both of which were amazing in the F mount version
- Z mount version of the 180-400mm or 200-400mm f/4 lens, awesome lenses when working from blinds

Those are a few that come to mind and maybe we'll see some of those or something like them in the coming years.

Tamron finally replaced my last piece of F mount glass (70-300 af-p) with their introduction of the 50-400. Now I'm still waiting for a 14 mm 1.8 or 1.4 in Z mount. I don't care who does it, whether it's Sigma, Tamron, or Nikon. I just want a nice sharp and fast ultrawide made for astrolandscape.

dont really miss DX anymore - Z9/8 gives enough cropping reserves.
the Z glass offering is very,very good as well meanwhile but I do miss:
a lightweight Z 300/2.8 (just like Sony's), 200mm/f2 Plena & a longer macro beyond 105mm e.g. 180/2.8 Macro
A 200mm f/2 Plena?

Nikon, please don't do that to me any time soon.

But, Nikon, please do that to me soon! :p

Back