HDMI or Display Port

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Annamaria -
Here's a link I found that shows the differences between HDMI and DisplayPort, as far as I can tell they're very similar if you have the latest versions of each:

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/differences-hdmi-displayport.html

Seems the biggest advantage for HDMI is the ability to support ARC, where the cable can pass audio from a TV back to an audio source, like a soundbar or sound system. I use this on the TV in my home office, though for a computer monitor this probably doesn't apply.

The biggest advantage I'm aware of for DisplayPort is the ability to daisy-chain your monitors, I believe up to 5 or 6, off of a single DisplayPort on your computer. This does require special monitors that have both DP-in and DP-out, but from one DP you can run multiple monitors, especially helpful if your GPU only has one display out, or if your primary editing machine is a laptop, like this:

1683145552000.png

Others my chime in with more helpful info.

Hope this helps!

Hi Annamaria -
Here's a link I found that shows the differences between HDMI and DisplayPort, as far as I can tell they're very similar if you have the latest versions of each:

https://www.coolblue.nl/en/advice/differences-hdmi-displayport.html

Seems the biggest advantage for HDMI is the ability to support ARC, where the cable can pass audio from a TV back to an audio source, like a soundbar or sound system. I use this on the TV in my home office, though for a computer monitor this probably doesn't apply.

The biggest advantage I'm aware of for DisplayPort is the ability to daisy-chain your monitors, I believe up to 5 or 6, off of a single DisplayPort on your computer. This does require special monitors that have both DP-in and DP-out, but from one DP you can run multiple monitors, especially helpful if your GPU only has one display out, or if your primary editing machine is a laptop, like this:

View attachment 60396

Others my chime in with more helpful info.

Hope this helps!
Yes, it did help. An interesting read. I would never have thought there would be a difference in color range. Thank you.

Back