Head-on Kingfisher

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi All,

First of all - Steve - if you happen to read this, thank you so much! I've been a long-time YouTube follower and have to say when I saw this announcement I was super excited.

To the new community - here's a shot I wanted to share. It's one of my favourites, but I see a lot wrong with it. I know I can be my own harshest critic, so would welcome fresh eyes and a new opinion.

Shot in late summer 2017 in the UK, on my D500 + Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 (500mm, f/5.6, 1/1000, ISO 400). Thanks all...

Attachments

• 37036312910_bb3529eab8_o.jpg
    37036312910_bb3529eab8_o.jpg
    204.2 KB · Views: 136
Love the separation , the detail in the feathers and moss; and the 'look' the bird is giving you :) I'd like it more if the shot angle was more at eye level vs looking up. Nice shot.

Reactions: cjh
It really a beautiful shot. I'm just curious why the left side (in the shadows) of the king fisher is out of focus? Is it something missed in a post layer or maybe the need to shut down the aperture more ( but the branch is in complete focus)?

It really a beautiful shot. I'm just curious why the left side (in the shadows) of the king fisher is out of focus? Is it something missed in a post layer or maybe the need to shut down the aperture more ( but the branch is in complete focus)?
Thanks jst1moor. I think it‘s the combination of me being a little overzealous with the noise reduction and/or raising of shadows.

Hi All,

First of all - Steve - if you happen to read this, thank you so much! I've been a long-time YouTube follower and have to say when I saw this announcement I was super excited.

To the new community - here's a shot I wanted to share. It's one of my favourites, but I see a lot wrong with it. I know I can be my own harshest critic, so would welcome fresh eyes and a new opinion.

Shot in late summer 2017 in the UK, on my D500 + Nikon 200-500mm f/5.6 (500mm, f/5.6, 1/1000, ISO 400). Thanks all...

Sorry, I gotta see the head. I would have deleted it. JMO.

Overall, I like it, it's unique. I'd consider working on the soft side from the noise reduction a bit though. The softness in the features takes away from an otherwise solid shot.

Very nice shot. Luv the colors. I am a fiend for showing the eyes wildlife sees their world through. Often imparts a sense of being in the scene, hearing the story. Would luv to see the eyes. I would crop a bit more, too.

Overall, I like it, it's unique. I'd consider working on the soft side from the noise reduction a bit though. The softness in the features takes away from an otherwise solid shot.
This is not a nature photography critique but rather post processing critique. Lots of this going on across this forum. Just my opinion to try and improve what is already the worlds greatest nature photography forum! 😃

Back