Headed to Base Camp Everest

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks all, you are re-shaping my expectations and packing. Given this is a once in a lifetime experience I am seriously wondering whether to leave the Nikon at home and use my iPhone 14 to capture the landscape. This is a big move from where I started when starting this string! It shoots raw but I need to question the quality. That said I’m no professional photographer, I’m looking for a great record of what I witnessed to shown my family and I guess that’s it. Possibly post on Instagram too.

I don’t think the intent of those of us who have done the trek was to discourage you from taking something better than your phone, it was just to set reasonable expectations so that you could take a kit that allows you to make better pictures than with your phone, but not at the expense of your safety or health on the trek. I’ve done many multiple day treks in the Himalaya, the Alps, the Rockies, and Patagonia, and lighter and simpler has served me well. I’ve also seen many people carry too much and not be able to complete the trek (occasionally with some rather serious outcomes).

One other reason I’d discourage just the phone - you often don’t have a lot of choice on where you are able to position yourself (for example - you might have a big drop off on one side and a cliff face on the other, or you may be surrounded by people’s homes and fields, or your guides just don’t want you wandering off). The short telephoto range is pretty important.

I think one other great lesson I’ve learned over many treks is: I’d rather take something like the 24-200 with all it’s limitations and use it and feel good trekking, than take a bunch of higher quality equipment and not use it as much because I’m miserable due to the weight (or worse, I’ve just stopped carrying it and put it in the bag the porters carry). If you are open to renting, the 24-70 f4, 24-120, or 24-200 are all good options, and it you want to drop some weight on the body, renting a z5/6/7 series camera would help a bit as well. One camera and one lens is pretty easy to fit in most day packs and still have room for all the clothing, water, first aid kit, etc. that keep you safe and comfortable.

Also, how are you planning on carrying the camera each day? I used a peak design capture clip, which kept the camera nice and accessible. It also keeps a small kit pretty stable while allowing your hands to be free. There is a bit of scrambling so having free hands is nice. Also, I’m a firm believer in the positive benefits of trekking poles.

Thanks all, you are re-shaping my expectations and packing. Given this is a once in a lifetime experience I am seriously wondering whether to leave the Nikon at home and use my iPhone 14 to capture the landscape. This is a big move from where I started when starting this string! It shoots raw but I need to question the quality. That said I’m no professional photographer, I’m looking for a great record of what I witnessed to shown my family and I guess that’s it. Possibly post on Instagram too.

I think there is an in-between (I certainly wouldn't just take the phone).

For Nikon I would take
  • Z7
  • 24-200
  • Maybe a fast prime for night shots etc
Another option outside of Nikon would be M43. I suggest this because of the weight/compactness and the computational features. Handheld High Rez, Neutral density filter, graduated neutral density filter and maybe the best image stabilization around.
  • OM-1 Mark II
    • Lighter alternative is the OM-5. Much of the same features for this type of shooting minus the graduated ND of the OM-1 II. Some computational features not as fast or feature rich (ND feature is a stop or two less and hand held high rez takes longer to process).
      • Biggest minus with this is that you can't use a capture clip with it (weak tripod mounting point). If you can work around that it may be a better option.
  • OM 12-100 (24-200 FOV compared to your Nikon)
    • Alternative lighter option would be the OM 14-150 or the Panasonic 14-140. A little more reach on the long end (more ability to isolate landscapes), still very good IQ just slower on the long end but probably doesn't matter if you are taking landscapes.
  • OM 8mm 1.8 FE. This can be defished if needed and has excellent IQ.

Last edited:
You might think about the Z 50-250 DX if you need anything longish. It's small, light, and easy to pack. Staying in the DX spectrum, the 16-50 is a good all purpose zoom. But the battery life of a Z50 is not very good, so I'd use these lenses on a Z7ii or Z8 camera. The 26mm f/2.8 pancake is a nice little lens and a lot faster. While not perfect for astro, it's usable. It's also a fun portrait lens for the kind of trip you are taking. Along those lines, there are some nice little F-mount lenses that are manual focus, and looking for light weight, could be worth considering.

Think the mp on the iPhone is 12 <22mm and > 77mm and 44 mp (same as Z8 between 23mm and 76mm)

Think the mp on the iPhone is 12 <22mm and > 77mm and 44 mp (same as Z8 between 23mm and 76mm)
Yes, but it's a tiny sensor. You I'm not sure about the size of the photosites, but you can upsize to any pixel size you want and with a small sensor, you still have image quality limitations. The sensor of the iPhone 12 is a 1/3.6 inch sensor while the Z7ii and Z8 are full frame cameras with a sensor that is 1.33 inches x 0.95 inches.

Certainly the iPhone camera is okay - but there is a big difference between an iPhone camera and a full frame mirrorless.

Yes, but it's a tiny sensor. You I'm not sure about the size of the photosites, but you can upsize to any pixel size you want and with a small sensor, you still have image quality limitations. The sensor of the iPhone 12 is a 1/3.6 inch sensor while the Z7ii and Z8 are full frame cameras with a sensor that is 1.33 inches x 0.95 inches.

Certainly the iPhone camera is okay - but there is a big difference between an iPhone camera and a full frame mirrorless.
Unless you are doing larger prints, in my opinion, if you are going to Everest and have weight limitations/concerns, it is a reasonable alternative, if one is limiting sharing pictures with friends/family or on FB.

i’m mostly here to say how cool it is to have a place you can ask questions like this and get experienced, knowledgeable answers!

as someone with no actual experience going up mountains under my own power with heights measured with more than four digits 🤣 my knee jerk response is the 24-120. it’s sharp, flexible, reliable and light

also, i’m not sure i’d count on changing lenses. i think KISS. lots of good stuff you could get with the 24-120

eager to hear about your adventure!

Some thoughts:
I had to give up on z7IIs for weight reasons being 15 years older than your good self
I tested the Z50 with kit lenses against the Z7II
Up to 30mm the FF had only a marginal advantage
Above 30 mm FF equivalent no noticeable difference
My tests were of buildings -mountains have fewer important details
Z50 + 18-50 mm = 585g
Z50 + 50 -200 mm = 765g
Can produce excellent A3 prints but that is the limit
The Dynamic Range is good at 13
Depth of Field 2.7m to ∞ has a 3m closer advantage than FF
No IBIS but the lenses have IS, no focus stacking and only one card slot
Obviously a Z8 has the edge on focus but with few birds no issue AF is OK
Also an Olympus EM5 Mark 3 is in this league weight wise
366g 20-MP +Panasonic 14-140mm lens, 265g. =631g
4/3 compared to crop but one kit covers 28mm to 280mm.
Have a great trip and post your best here
JIm

Been twice. 1993 and 96. First trip, took an SLR and a couple of zooms, maybe up to 200mm, not sure. Second time took a decent zoom compact. If I was going now I'd take Z7ii or Z8 and 24-200. Main thing is to have something that's easy to have to hand and to use it. If I was to carry more, it would be a 100-400 and a 1.4x converter. Problem with that is you'd need a tripod too which with the lens means a lot of weight.
Depends on your arrangements. If you have a porter, he/she can carry the extras and you use them during breaks/overnight stops/acclimatisation days etc. I think most of my images were taken at such times.
Another option would be to use your phone whilst on the move and porter the SLR for use on stops.

Attachments

• AA_3840 (15 of 59).jpg
    AA_3840 (15 of 59).jpg
    978.1 KB · Views: 16
  • T_9a-gigapixel-low_res-width-2500px.jpg
    T_9a-gigapixel-low_res-width-2500px.jpg
    263.3 KB · Views: 14
Back