Heavy Cropped FF or Crop Sensor

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RGS

It seems that most on this forum are Nikon or Sony users, but I hope this Canon tale will prove interesting (or useful) at least in general. For the last several years my main wildlife rig has been a Canon EF 70-300L mounted on a Canon 7DII. This L series lens is very sharp and focuses accurately and quickly, and on the crop sensor 7DII it is a 480mm lens. I recently bought a Canon R6. Since the R6 is a 20Mp FF camera, I knew the 70-300 would not be as long and the smaller Mp count would make cropping a less interesting alternative. What has surprised me is that I think I am beginning to prefer a pretty deeply cropped image from the R6 to an uncropped (or less cropped) image from the 7DII. I haven't yet decided how to get more reach on the R6 (without spending 1000s) but, in the meantime, I am happier than I expected to be with cropped images from the R6. And the 7DII is still going along for the ride if I change my mind. So, by way of example, here are a few images from the R6 that have been cropped (some quite a bit), rather simply processed in LR and finished with Topaz DeNoise.

I have to say that I am amazed at what the best mirrorless cameras from Canon, Nikon, and Sony are capable of producing.
2203 -  337-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

2203 -  347-Edit.jpg

2203 -  291-Edit.jpg

2202 -  87.jpg

2203 -  325-Edit-Edit.jpg

I think part of it could be the generation of the sensor.

While technically not compatible with extenders, people do put the 1 4x on that lens as long as they keep it at 300. Otherwise the part that extends into the lens bumps into the lens glass. Used ef 1.4x are not expensive, especially the version ii.

I think part of it could be the generation of the sensor.

While technically not compatible with extenders, people do put the 1 4x on that lens as long as they keep it at 300. Otherwise the part that extends into the lens bumps into the lens glass. Used ef 1.4x are not expensive, especially the version ii.

True. I have tried version iii and it fits at 300mm. Does version ii also fit? I have considered that a simple rubber band around the lens extended to 300mm would protect it from being accidentally collapsed on the TC. I have considered picking up a used TC and maybe a used 100-400L II (should be plenty available as people sell them to upgrade to the RF 100-500). Sticking with the EF system will allow me to keep using the 7DII as well.

It would be worth researching but I read the difference in IQ is slight. I use the version ii on the 100-400 and like it.

It would be worth researching but I read the difference in IQ is slight. I use the version ii on the 100-400 and like it.

Yes, the two lenses are very similar - almost twins. I've had opportunities to use the 100-400 and it is excellent. I've also tried one of the new 800 f11s. It is a bit quirky and takes some practice and thought to use well but it is capable of good images and may ultimately be my choice. Its biggest drawback is its near-focus distance - 19 feet. Here's one of my shots with the 800mm.
2202 -  287-Edit-Edit.jpg

Reactions: Hut
Back