HECS suit?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Wade Abadie

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Have any of you ever used a HECS suit?

If you're not familiar with the product, you can read about it here: https://hecswildlife.hecsllc.com/hecs-technology/ Basically, it is a clothing product that is supposedly designed to hide the human "electrical signature" from animals, allowing you to get closer.

It has been somewhat popular in the deer hunting world, but more recently has been endorsed by wildlife biologist Forrest Galante.

I'm interested, but also very skeptical of products like this. I'm just curious if anyone here has successfully used it in their wildlife photography.

It has been somewhat popular in the deer hunting world, but more recently has been endorsed by wildlife biologist Forrest Galante.

I'm interested, but also very skeptical of products like this. I'm just curious if anyone here has successfully used it in their wildlife photography.
I've got several avid Elk hunting friends that have all switched over to this but when asked most just say it's well made clothing and underlayers that fit really well and hold up in the field. I too am a bit skeptical on the electrical signature sales pitch but it seems like very good camo clothing whether or not their special technology makes a substantial difference. Personally though I do sometimes use blinds I don't really wear camo when photographing wildlife but I do try to stick with dull earth tone colors.

FWIW, I do agree with a point made in at least one of Steve's videos that one compelling reason to think about camo is to draw less attention to yourself from other people. This part really resonates with me as I live right next to a very popular national park for wildlife photography and when I want to get a bit away from the road I don't want to draw attention to myself or create the inevitable bear or moose jam. I'll usually park a bit away from where I want to go and wait till there's no cars in sight before heading out with my gear as a big lens and tripod is like a magnet for everyone driving by to slam the brakes and start asking (often shouting) questions about what I saw and where I'm going. Camo might help that a bit once I'm a little ways away from the road.

Back