Helicon Focus?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi Folks - I'm wondering how many of you that do focus-stacking have invested in Helicon Focus or similar software? I know that the Adobe suite has it built in to Camera Raw and Lightroom but I'm assuming there's a limit to what you can do with that, since hardly anyone mentions using it? Is the limit the number of images in the stack that it can handle? I'd be working with 47 megapixel images from the Z9. Also if you have some other software you prefer over Helicon (Mac user here) I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks!

Reactions: JAS
Also if you have some other software you prefer over Helicon (Mac user here) I'd love to hear about that too.
I've used Helicon Focus and Zerene Stacker and they both do the job nicely but I find the Zerene interface a bit more intuitive. Either can handle 47 mega pixel files just fine. I've also manually stacked images in Photoshop but the dedicated software makes the job faster and easier.

Hi Folks - I'm wondering how many of you that do focus-stacking have invested in Helicon Focus or similar software? I know that the Adobe suite has it built in to Camera Raw and Lightroom but I'm assuming there's a limit to what you can do with that, since hardly anyone mentions using it? Is the limit the number of images in the stack that it can handle? I'd be working with 47 megapixel images from the Z9. Also if you have some other software you prefer over Helicon (Mac user here) I'd love to hear about that too.

Thanks!
I currently use Helicon Focus and am very comfortable with the interface. I too have used Photoshop, in "olden days", before switching to dedicatred software. In his course on Focus Shift shooting, Steve talks about the different software options. You may want to look at trial versions to pick which may work best for you. I too am a Mac user.

I'm wondering if NX Studio has it? I know Canon's free raw converter does. The Adobe one is an automated function built into Photoshop. I don't believe Lightroom nor camera raw have it. The plus in Photoshop is you get layers for each mask, so you can fine tune as much as you wish after the fact. The other programs also let you fine tune as well.

If you are considering Helicon, Photoshop or Zyrene Stacker, you should go ahead and buy Steve's course on Focus Shift shooting:

He demonstrates all three products and talks about pros and cons of each. I would not go down this path at all without viewing this course.

Helicon and Zyrene are far superior to Photoshop for most uses. The one place where PS could be useful is aligning images and cleaning up images in a stack before cropping and exporting the stack so they can be processed in Helicon or Zyrene.

This is far beyond the capability of NXStudio, although that software can be used to process a group of images the same way before exporting to Helicon or Zyrene. You can paste the edits into a group of images.

If you are considering Helicon, Photoshop or Zyrene Stacker, you should go ahead and buy Steve's course on Focus Shift shooting:

He demonstrates all three products and talks about pros and cons of each. I would not go down this path at all without viewing this course.

Helicon and Zyrene are far superior to Photoshop for most uses. The one place where PS could be useful is aligning images and cleaning up images in a stack before cropping and exporting the stack so they can be processed in Helicon or Zyrene.

This is far beyond the capability of NXStudio, although that software can be used to process a group of images the same way before exporting to Helicon or Zyrene. You can paste the edits into a group of images.
Just completed the order for Steve's course and will be digging in this evening :) I should have known he would have had this covered by now!

Thanks for the info, Eric!

I've used Helicon Focus for years but a little extra knowledge is always welcomed. I'll be ordering Steve's course a little later!

Affinity Photo does focus stacking well, and it’s an easier-to-use Photoshop alternative that also does panorama stitching and other very useful things.
I agree. Affinity works very nicely for stacking and is very affordable. Lots of bang for the buck. I switched from photoshop years ago and haven’t regretted it.

Back