HELP!! Accidentally deleted files

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

JoelKlein

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hi, I just deleted a folder with client pictures from an external SSD (self-build. Samsung SSD M.2 in enclosure)
It is too big for the recycle bin, so its gone...

I gotta recover them!
What would you recommend? I know there are a ton of utilities to recover. Which one is good? perhaps something that works best with Samsung.

Thanks!

Hi, I just deleted a folder with client pictures from an external SSD (self-build. Samsung SSD M.2 in enclosure)
It is too big for the recycle bin, so its gone...

I gotta recover them!
What would you recommend? I know there are a ton of utilities to recover. Which one is good? perhaps something that works best with Samsung.

Thanks!
I have used Disk Drill for Mac to recover files from reformatted cards. Have not used it for external drives, but it should work. I believe it comes in Mac and PC versions. Suggest you avoid using that drive until this is solved so you don't overwrite files.
Best Wishes in your recovery efforts.

I have used Disk Drill for Mac to recover files from reformatted cards. Have not used it for external drives, but it should work. I believe it comes in Mac and PC versions. Suggest you avoid using that drive until this is solved so you don't overwrite files.
Best Wishes in your recovery efforts.
I too have used disk drill with good success.

I have used Sandisk Rescue Pro software with great success before. I see that they now have a version for SSD drives, but I have not used that .

Thank you Jas.
Now I gotta come up with a better backup plan that doesn’t include online cloud based, because I have a cap on my data.

Thank you Jas.
Now I gotta come up with a better backup plan that doesn’t include online cloud based, because I have a cap on my data.
Screenshot 2022-11-19 132804.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

i'm doing something like this. i use a backup program to make copies from the primary ssd disks to secondary ssd disks, then use it to make a copy to a tertiary spinning disk (large), and then use it to back that up to external spinning disks that get disconnected and rotated.

in general i suggest having at least three copies, at least one of which is off-site

Whoo that is bulletproof.
Which program?
I would not go that intensive though.otherwise its cheaper to get it to AWS S3 and pay for another 100 gig of data

Whoo that is bulletproof.
Which program?
I would not go that intensive though.otherwise its cheaper to get it to AWS S3 and pay for another 100 gig of data
i'm using a package called novabackup, but it doesn't really matter. you can just set up a script to run a copy via something like rsync which is built into the macs, and you can get it on windows by installing cygwin.

also, note online storage is expensive (i've priced out S3). you can buy a LOT of drives when you consider the ongoing costs.

I’m going to need a fresh brain to re think about back up.
Shooting babies, toddlers, etc in our studio is about 400 shots per session.

Yah, a toddler is like BIF… Can’t be fast enough. Same goes for babies. The mother pulls the pacifier, and we have about a half of a second to bracket some shots before the :-( begin…
Sleeping babies, no problem, but its not the same picture compared to those sweet eyes looking straight into the lens.

Then some customers ask for photoshop work, albums, etc. the files are big.

Add in my outings to capture birds, nature, etc.

It only takes a couple months to fill a TB.

i'm using a package called novabackup, but it doesn't really matter. you can just set up a script to run a copy via something like rsync which is built into the macs, and you can get it on windows by installing cygwin.

also, note online storage is expensive (i've priced out S3). you can buy a LOT of drives when you consider the ongoing costs.
I own a phone company Skytektel
And we use S3 to store customers call recording. By law the audio has to stay uncompressed Wav. And it’s all stereo LR Wav files. We push up to S3 ALLOT, the cost isn’t so much as long as it’s being stored. The cost begins when files are being downloaded. But you’re right, I still like physical drives, besides my data in studio has a cap.
Perhaps I should get some more Samsung evo M.2 and stick em in an enclosure. EZ.

I’m going to need a fresh brain to re think about back up.
Shooting babies, toddlers, etc in our studio is about 400 shots per session.

Yah, a toddler is like BIF… Can’t be fast enough. Same goes for babies. The mother pulls the pacifier, and we have about a half of a second to bracket some shots before the :-( begin…
Sleeping babies, no problem, but its not the same picture compared to those sweet eyes looking straight into the lens.

Then some customers ask for photoshop work, albums, etc. the files are big.

Add in my outings to capture birds, nature, etc.

It only takes a couple months to fill a TB.
You echoed my thoughts . Shooting babies is indeed like BIF . I used to use Sony R10 Iv to shoot babies with its 25 fps rate & was on the look out for a FF with that kind of fps . When A1 came I grabbed it ( after reading Steve’s review😜)

I own a phone company Skytektel
And we use S3 to store customers call recording. By law the audio has to stay uncompressed Wav. And it’s all stereo LR Wav files. We push up to S3 ALLOT, the cost isn’t so much as long as it’s being stored. The cost begins when files are being downloaded. But you’re right, I still like physical drives, besides my data in studio has a cap.
Perhaps I should get some more Samsung evo M.2 and stick em in an enclosure. EZ.
I posted in another thread a Black Friday deal. They had 2 TB Samsung 970 Pro for 156 on Amazon. I used the OWC enclosure which doesn't allow max speed. If anyone knows of a faster enclosure let me know.

Back