Help with the Z8

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

No. Why would you?
No. Why would you?
Thank you for your remark I have a Z8 photographer friend who's quite "techie" had said this.. makes no sense to me . So a question back to you.... Do you have Banks saved on your Z8? ABCD?..I have started to create the Banks and I'm worried about losing all the settings that I've been working on..I do know that when you remove your Card to load your photos for Post Process that you do need to save settings before removing So when you insert your card back in camera and format it you do need to Load settings back on the card.....

Thank you for your remark I have a Z8 photographer friend who's quite "techie" had said this.. makes no sense to me . So a question back to you.... Do you have Banks saved on your Z8? ABCD?..I have started to create the Banks and I'm worried about losing all the settings that I've been working on..I do know that when you remove your Card to load your photos for Post Process that you do need to save settings before removing So when you insert your card back in camera and format it you do need to Load settings back on the card.....
Once you have your desired settings configured in each bank (or as many as you choose to use) you should save your settings.

As you use the camera any changes you make will override the settings in whichever bank is current. You can recover your saved settings by loading the saved settings back to the camera whenever needed.

When you remove a card to transfer images for post processing, you do not need to reload settings when you insert the card in the camera.

If you haven’t done so, I suggest buying a copy of Steve Perry’s Z8/Z9 setup and shooting guide. It’ll be very helpful. 🙂

Once you save them, they remain saved until you save again, OR you do a reset which wipes your settings. Any new changes to any settings remain in effect on your Z8 until you Load previously saved settings or do a reset. When you tap Save/Load, the next choice is to choose whether to Save or Load. Settings are saved onto the memory card in slot one, or if you have no card in slot one, onto the card in slot two. If you Format a card containing Saved Settings, those settings are erased from the card. If you go to "https://onlinemanual.nikonimglib.com/z8/en/sum_save_load_menu_settings_332.html" you will get a more comprehensive answer.

You’re not the first person I’ve heard say this. I’m not sure where it comes from or if it was misinterpreted somewhere but it’s not accurate. The settings configured in the camera remain until you change them or do a reset. The idea of saving them to a card is so they can be reloaded to the camera if something happens, such as you messing them up, doing a factory reset, or even copying them to a new camera (same model). I wouldn’t keep/store them on the same card you use for shooting as it would be a pain to reload them to the card every time you format. I keep them on my computer and would just copy them back to the card to reload if something happened. I can’t imagine ever needing to do it in the field myself. If I’m somewhere important to me I will have another camera with me so it isn’t something that id be concerned with in the field. For you or others it may be but then I’d keep the settings on a spare card that was not expected to be used.

Also, just a reminder, it’s good to resave settings before and after firmware updates just in case something goes wrong and you need to restore but keep the settings separate or it will overwrite them. It’s also why I keep the settings on my computer. I can put them in a folder that has a copy of the settings and the firmware to keep them organized.

It’s a good idea to copy the saved settings to a cheap small SD card and leave that in your bag, or desk just incase you format both your cards and forgot.
Thanks I was aware of that part which totally makes sense !!
You’re not the first person I’ve heard say this. I’m not sure where it comes from or if it was misinterpreted somewhere but it’s not accurate. The settings configured in the camera remain until you change them or do a reset. The idea of saving them to a card is so they can be reloaded to the camera if something happens, such as you messing them up, doing a factory reset, or even copying them to a new camera (same model). I wouldn’t keep/store them on the same card you use for shooting as it would be a pain to reload them to the card every time you format. I keep them on my computer and would just copy them back to the card to reload if something happened. I can’t imagine ever needing to do it in the field myself. If I’m somewhere important to me I will have another camera with me so it isn’t something that id be concerned with in the field. For you or others it may be but then I’d keep the settings on a spare card that was not expected to be used.

Also, just a reminder, it’s good to resave settings before and after firmware updates just in case something goes wrong and you need to restore but keep the settings separate or it will overwrite them. It’s also why I keep the settings on my computer. I can put them in a folder that has a copy of the settings and the firmware to keep them organized.

Thank you very much for taking the time to explain And I would like to save on my computer such a great idea

...Do you have Banks saved on your Z8? ABCD?...
I set up my Z8 initially the way I wanted it, which I found out later only saved them to Bank A. I did not change any other banks. However, on a couple of occasions I have found the camera inadvertently set to Bank D. I must have accidentally hit something, but I don't know what or how. This set everything to the camera default, which includes JPEG only (no RAW). Due to advice on this forum, I copied my settings from Bank A to the other three banks so if it accidentally changes again, my settings will not change.

This is what I do which I got from Hudson Henry's Z8 setup video.
Save Settings-Loads settings onto card.
Load Settings-Loads settings into camera.
I have Save/Load settings and Format card set in My Menu
When I have finished shooting I "Load Menu Settings"
I remove the card and download the photos to wherever I want to save them.
Put the card back in the camera and Format it.
Go to "Save Menu Settings"
This way you always have your most current settings loaded in the camera.

You have the settings saved to the card that that you are using when you take your photos. When you take the card out of the camera, and unload your photos, when you format the card the settings that you saved to the card are also gone so you have to save the settings back onto the card.

You have the settings saved to the card that that you are using when you take your photos. When you take the card out of the camera, and unload your photos, when you format the card the settings that you saved to the card are also gone so you have to save the settings back onto the card.
I keep a copy of my Z8 settings file on the SD card (which I don’t format often), on cloud storage, and on my laptop. I also keep a copy on an old CFe card in my camera bag.

Last edited:
Reactions: PKW
Why would you reload settings you did erase or overwrite in the first place?
In my case, it’s not unusual to modify my saved settings due to weather and lighting conditions while I’m in the field. By loading my saved settings at the end of the session I can be certain to put the camera back in the state I expect it to be when I pick up the camera next time.

In my case, it’s not unusual to modify my saved settings due to weather and lighting conditions while I’m in the field. By loading my saved settings at the end of the session I can be certain to put the camera back in the state I expect it to be when I pick up the camera next time.
That's only if you are using banks. Many of us do not use banks at all, since it is way too easy to "lose" your desired settings and have to re-load them into the camera.

I keep a copy of my Z8 settings file on the SD card (which I don’t formally often), on cloud storage, and on my laptop. I also keep a copy on an old CFe card in my camera bag.
I do the same in keeping a copy of my Z8 settings on my computers (desktop and laptop), the cloud, and an old XQD card that travels with me. But I never thought about copying it to the SD card in the second slot, which, like you, I rarely use and therefore rarely format. Great idea, thanks!

Banks are certainly interesting, but as others have said, they’re also a personal choice.
However, Hudson Henry provides two videos where he sets up benefic settings for Band A, and the he has a second video where he sets up banks B, C and D specifically for Action, Landscape and Astro. Watch these and you’ll gain a terrific insight into Z8 settings. You can use whatever you want, but this is a great intro

Once you’ve set up the banks to your satisfaction, goto Settings, Save Settings. If you reset the camera or change ny settings, you can reload from the card. Banks are a bookmark…unlike the user settings of Nikon DX cameras, the settings stay changed if you change them. The only way to get them back is to reload from the card.

Once you’ve set up the banks to your satisfaction, goto Settings, Save Settings. If you reset the camera or change ny settings, you can reload from the card. Banks are a bookmark…unlike the user settings of Nikon DX cameras, the settings stay changed if you change them. The only way to get them back is to reload from the card.

Are you sure about that "save settings" for banks? Again, I'm under the impression the "save settings" option is only to save settings for a card. Once you set a setting in a bank it remains at that setting until you change it, at least that is what I've read. From google:

"Showing results for what is the "save settings" option for a nikon camera
Search instead for what is the "save settngs" option for a nikon camera

Select Save settings to save the following settings to the memory card(if the card is full, an error will be displayed). Use this option to share settings among cameras of the same model."

From Nikon:
"Toggle your way to the Save/load settings on your Nikon DSLR. Make sure you have a memory card in your camera (I save the settings to my primary memory slot which you can define). Toggle to the right once so the Save/load settings is highlighted and then toggle once more to the right on Save settings. When you do that, you’ll probably see your memory card access lamp glow for a heartbeat. This indicates the settings saving file was written to the memory. I personally always double check because of my big thumbs. To check, just repeat the above process but this time notice the Load settings is now lit up where before, it was grayed out. When you see it lit up, you’re good to go!"

https://www.nikonusa.com/learn-and-...convenience-of-using-save-load-settings-smart

Are you sure about that "save settings" for banks? Again, I'm under the impression the "save settings" option is only to save settings for a card. Once you set a setting in a bank it remains at that setting until you change it, at least that is what I've read.
@Patrick M is correct. Settings associated with a Bank change in-camera as the user makes changes while that Bank is active. For me, the easiest way to recover the settings I prefer (including Banks) is to save them to a CFe or SD card by using 'Save settings' once I've entered them on the camera. When needed, I can recover them easily from the card by selecting 'Load settings.'

@Patrick M is correct. Settings associated with a Bank change in-camera as the user makes changes while that Bank is active. For me, the easiest way to recover the settings I prefer (including Banks) is to save them to a CFe or SD card by using 'Save settings' once I've entered them on the camera. When needed, I can recover them easily from the card by selecting 'Load settings.'
I'm unclear on exactly what you are saying, are you saying that the "save settings" is needed to save bank settings once you set them? I don't recall reading that but my memory is faulty at times. What I got from Patrick's message is that the "save settings" saves the individual bank settings, but then sometimes I read too quickly! According to Nikon the "save settings" is only to put them on a card...

I'm unclear on exactly what you are saying, are you saying that the "save settings" is needed to save bank settings once you set them? I don't recall reading that but my memory is faulty at times. What I got from Patrick's message is that the "save settings" saves the individual bank settings, but then sometimes I read too quickly! According to Nikon the "save settings" is only to put them on a card...
With banks, they remember the settings you last used. So if you change shutter speed, focus mode, it remembers those instead of reverting back to the original settings. So in this case, if you save your settings to the card, go shooting, make changes, reloading from the card resets back to what you had when you went out shooting before making changes. I can see how that makes sense. I’d prefer Nikon provide the option for sticky banks so it reset by itself back to the saved settings instead of remembering the changes you made while shooting.

Back