Help with z9 setup!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hi folks. I just got my Z9 and am amazed at the af, to say the least! I have followed Steve's setup guide and all is good, sort of. I have mapped the Fn buttons for 3D, WideC1 and 3D. But, I can not make these functions actually focus without setting them to 3D+AF-ON and WideC1+ AF-ON. The guide touches on the use of the +AF-ON option but doesn't seem to explain it. I assume that I have something else set wrong , causing the problem? Any help would be appreciated. Firmware 3.10 installed. Thanks, Dan

When I first got my Z9, I had the function buttons set to different focus mode and my AF/On on the back set to focus. However, later i found that i could program the buttons too Focus mode +AF/On. For example, F1 button is set to single point AF continuous +AF/On. When shooting and have a static subject I will hit the FN1 button and no others unless i switch to another mode. AF/On is set to Large W with subject tracking. Many times i will get initial focus with the FN1 button and then hit the AF/On button button for subject tracking or eye AF. For example there is a bird in the tree. I will first hit FN1 and attain focus and then switch to AF/On or hit my cursor pad which is set to 3D+AF/On.

In this way I am not having to hit two buttons at one time and can quickly switch through the focus modes.

Hope this helps.

When I first got my Z9, I had the function buttons set to different focus mode and my AF/On on the back set to focus. However, later i found that i could program the buttons too Focus mode +AF/On. For example, F1 button is set to single point AF continuous +AF/On. When shooting and have a static subject I will hit the FN1 button and no others unless i switch to another mode. AF/On is set to Large W with subject tracking. Many times i will get initial focus with the FN1 button and then hit the AF/On button button for subject tracking or eye AF. For example there is a bird in the tree. I will first hit FN1 and attain focus and then switch to AF/On or hit my cursor pad which is set to 3D+AF/On.

In this way I am not having to hit two buttons at one time and can quickly switch through the focus modes.

Hope this helps.
Thanks. I think that I have figured out what I was doing wrong. I need to press the af-on button AND the fn button at the same time? Gonna try tomorrow.

Thanks. I think that I have figured out what I was doing wrong. I need to press the af-on button AND the fn button at the same time? Gonna try tomorrow.
Hi Dan.

First of all, congratulations on getting the new toy. Hope you have lots of fun with it :)

As for the topic at hand; that's indeed how it works. You can essentially configure it in two ways:

1) Assign the AF-ON function to whichever button you like (AF-ON, shutter half press,...). Assign your FN buttons to other AF area modes WITHOUT AF-ON. In order to acquire focus, you'll always have to have your AF-ON button pressed in conjunction with the AF area mode button of choice.

2) Assign buttons to AF area mode WITH AF-ON. In this case, there'll be no need to keep the initial AF-ON button pressed as each individual button will initiate the focus process as well. When using this way of doing things, it's also a good idea to make sure you have custom option a7: focus mode persistence enabled. This allows you to switch between modes without AF starting all over again (if you have acquired focus with one AF area mode, pressing a button for another one will seemlessly take over).

Both are perfectly viable options. Just a matter of preference. Hope this helps.

Hi Dan.

First of all, congratulations on getting the new toy. Hope you have lots of fun with it :)

As for the topic at hand; that's indeed how it works. You can essentially configure it in two ways:

1) Assign the AF-ON function to whichever button you like (AF-ON, shutter half press,...). Assign your FN buttons to other AF area modes WITHOUT AF-ON. In order to acquire focus, you'll always have to have your AF-ON button pressed in conjunction with the AF area mode button of choice.

2) Assign buttons to AF area mode WITH AF-ON. In this case, there'll be no need to keep the initial AF-ON button pressed as each individual button will initiate the focus process as well. When using this way of doing things, it's also a good idea to make sure you have custom option a7: focus mode persistence enabled. This allows you to switch between modes without AF starting all over again (if you have acquired focus with one AF area mode, pressing a button for another one will seemlessly take over).

Both are perfectly viable options. Just a matter of preference. Hope this helps.
Awesome! Thanks. I actually think your option 2 will be my choice, but I will try both. Thank you

Back