If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Gottshotz

Supporting Member
Marketplace
During my August trip to Uganda I was incredibly fortunate to come across one of these critically endangered animals foraging in an old coffee plantation. Pangolin means "Roller" in Malay, the action they take of curling up into a ball for self-defence. There are 8 species in the World , 4 in Africa and 4 in Asia--this particular animal is a White-bellied or Tree Pangolin.

A2C03608-Edit-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Note the very powerful front paws with long claws to rip off bark and dig into termite mounds and ant-hills. Indeed, they are sometimes referred to as "scaly anteaters". This particular species is semi arboreal and frequents lowland forests where they help to prevent termite destruction, thus maintaining a balanced ecosystem.

A2C03694-Edit.jpg

Their scaly tail can sometimes be mistaken for a snake in the dense undergrowth, which unfortunately can lead to death by the machete wielding ladies who do most of the cultivation in Uganda and are traditionally fearful of snakes (of which there are many in the countryside with a highly venomous bite ! ).

A2C03754-Edit.jpg

The tail is also quite prehensile in this species, giving the animal a stable platform to balance on and thus freeing its front legs to rip off bark and access the insects hidden inside.

A2C03724-Edit-2.jpg

Although their eyesight is poor they have a great sense of smell and a long sticky tongue to pick off the smallest prey in some numbers. They can consume up to 20,000 ants a day !

A2C03783-Edit.jpg

Tragically, there is one Pangolin being killed every 5 minutes for their unique scales, and over the last decade well over a million have been illegally taken from the wild to feed demand from the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) market as they are believed to treat a range of ailments from asthma to rheumatism and arthritis. None of TCM using animal parts, including the Keratin scales of Pangolin have been found to be scientifically effective --- you may as well crush your own nail clippings and save yourself a stack of money and more importantly save the Pangolins too !!

Phenomenal opportunity to capture images of a rare endangered species. Thank you for sharing…👍

You are so lucky to have spent time with this amazing animal. Your pictures are great. I saw a pangolin in the Serengeti last February but it was hiding and all I could see was its back and a bit of tail. I am envious of all your shots.

That must have been the most wonderful sighting you could dream of. I hope you know how lucky you are. I know game rangers that work in the parks - that have never seen one.
Your photos of the Pangolin are incredible too.

You are so lucky to have spent time with this amazing animal. Your pictures are great. I saw a pangolin in the Serengeti last February but it was hiding and all I could see was its back and a bit of tail. I am envious of all your shots.
Thanks Kathy --- fortunately I was not pushed for time, so waited until the Pangolin was more used to my presence and used a zoom lens to keep a respectable distance away.

Nice find, and hopefully not gone tomorrow.
Thanks K9Kirk --- yes, if we could educate more people about the cost to wildlife that Traditional Chinese Medicine creates, then many animals under threat like this one, Rhinos, Tigers etc., etc., could be saved.

That must have been the most wonderful sighting you could dream of. I hope you know how lucky you are. I know game rangers that work in the parks - that have never seen one.
Your photos of the Pangolin are incredible too.
Thanks Elsa --- yes, I agree, I was very, very lucky to see one, let alone photograph it --however our guide was a local and he had asked around the local community for any recent sightings and "bingo" I won the lottery that day !

Amazing sighting of what is, sadly, the most trafficked wild animal in the world.
Thanks MrFotoFool --- I have seen some really endangered animals in my time, Iberian Lynx, Black Rhino, and a white Brown European bear for instance, but nothing quite comparable to this little guy's fate due entirely to human ignorance and avarice.

There is a judgment call when burning jet fuel to travel to an overseas destination to photograph wildlife that is becoming extinct in large part from our own lifestyle and hobbies.

During my August trip to Uganda I was incredibly fortunate to come across one of these critically endangered animals foraging in an old coffee plantation. Pangolin means "Roller" in Malay, the action they take of curling up into a ball for self-defence. There are 8 species in the World , 4 in Africa and 4 in Asia--this particular animal is a White-bellied or Tree Pangolin.

View attachment 78063

Note the very powerful front paws with long claws to rip off bark and dig into termite mounds and ant-hills. Indeed, they are sometimes referred to as "scaly anteaters". This particular species is semi arboreal and frequents lowland forests where they help to prevent termite destruction, thus maintaining a balanced ecosystem.

View attachment 78064

Their scaly tail can sometimes be mistaken for a snake in the dense undergrowth, which unfortunately can lead to death by the machete wielding ladies who do most of the cultivation in Uganda and are traditionally fearful of snakes (of which there are many in the countryside with a highly venomous bite ! ).

View attachment 78065

The tail is also quite prehensile in this species, giving the animal a stable platform to balance on and thus freeing its front legs to rip off bark and access the insects hidden inside.

View attachment 78074

Although their eyesight is poor they have a great sense of smell and a long sticky tongue to pick off the smallest prey in some numbers. They can consume up to 20,000 ants a day !

View attachment 78075

Tragically, there is one Pangolin being killed every 5 minutes for their unique scales, and over the last decade well over a million have been illegally taken from the wild to feed demand from the Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM) market as they are believed to treat a range of ailments from asthma to rheumatism and arthritis. None of TCM using animal parts, including the Keratin scales of Pangolin have been found to be scientifically effective --- you may as well crush your own nail clippings and save yourself a stack of money and more importantly save the Pangolins too !!
What an amazing series of images! You are a very lucky photographer to have even seen them! And, as you note, they are under pressure from poaching for scales and for babies, that are, crazy as it seems, considered a delicacy and a sign of status to serve at dinner. Having essentially wiped out the four Asian species, all are Critically Engangered on the IUCN Red List, the trafficking driven by the Chinese has turned to the African species, which are also disappearing rapidly.