High ISO IQ in Nikon Z9, field tests - Jeffrey Wu

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It will be interesting to hear his comparisons of Z9 and D6, which appears to have his primary camera.

This is the more appropriate thread to say this shoutout for 3D tracking in the D6 by Jeffrey Wu only came to my attention yesterday; this prompted by his report on PP Z9 images of high ISOs... This is a repost of his D6 promo video. Previously I was only aware of Moose Peterson reporting on the the major improvement in D6 subject tracking - using AI to focus on grouse and sheep [correction, Moose was endorsing Auto-AF mode in the D6 using Custom GroupAF with Eye-detection turned on, and also AutoAF]

I also singled out the above in this Z9 discussion because 1. Nikon presumably used the underlying AI algorithm from the Z9, and 2. Nikon can be relied on be almost infallible about failing to spell out the benefits and intricacies of what-under-the-hood, in their cameras especially!

Underreporting and Under-explaining the their flagship autofocus of defines the DNA of this infuriating company!!!!

Last edited:
Back