Hiking Backpack For Long Lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just wondering what people's solutions are for carrying a super telephoto lens out in the field. It would be great if we could all load up our cars with anything we might need and drive to every spot, but more often than not, I need to hike a bit to get to where the best opportunities await. What do you guys use to carry long lenses for mid length hikes? Lets say 2-5 miles? Do you typically just carry the big lens (and support, if needed), or do you carry other gear as well?

I shoot mostly with a 500 F4G, but I don't like to be limited to just one focal length unless I know exactly what and where will be shooting, so I often carry the 80-400G too, a 105 for macro stuff, teleconverters, monopod, sometimes a flash, sometimes a wider angle zoom, and other bits, etc. Most of the time I have one of the long lenses in my hand, and all the other stuff in the backpack. This is usually a reasonable solution, but troublesome if it rains, as it is hard to fit everything actually in the bag. Also, it is obviously heavy, and the more I take the heavier it gets.

I'm currently using a Mindshift Backlight 26L, with a lens pouch attached to the hipbelt. It actually does a surprisingly good job of fitting things, and I love the rear panel access, but ergonomically it seems to be designed for a smaller weight load. The shoulder straps and his belt just don't seem designed for holding a kit that can weigh 30+ pounds, and the boxy shape so common to camera bags isn't an ideal fit - which becomes more apparent as the weight increases.

So let's hear it. What does everyone use?

-Frank

I'll walk quite a ways with my big lens mounted on my tripod with a pad for carrying but when I do pack it all away it goes into a Moose Peterson MP-1 pack. Actually after using his original MP-1 pack for almost two decades I recently picked up the new version of the same pack sold as the MindShift MP-1 V2. It carries my 600mm f/4 with a D5 body attached in one big compartment and has two smaller compartments for other lenses, back up bodies, flashes and accessories.

I tried the Lowepro Long Lens pack many years ago for an older 600mm f/4 lens that I owned at the time but I decided it was too limiting as it really just carried the one big lens and I usually have a couple of shorter lenses plus some day supplies like a bit of food and water and maybe rain gear that I also want to carry if I'm going very far from the car.

I'm sure there are other solutions out there and you should have more options with the 500mm f/4 G lens as it's a bit smaller than the 600mm f/4.

I have the Tanrac Anvil Super 25 it will carry my 600 f4 and some teleconverters, if I wanted to push it it would hold the camera as well but I don’t like putting pressure on it. I then bought a couple think tank bags to carry my camera and another lens On the belt. I have a 32oz water bottle, strapped to the side of the bag. I also carry a small Emergancy kit, knife, lighter, Emergancy blanket, fire starter, life straw, tactical flashlight and a compass ( just in case I get turned around) Can never be to safe.
If I’m not carrying the big lens I have some inserts from other bags and can carry camera, 3 lens... and a bunch of other stuff in the same bag.
It has worked out really well I just wish the bag was 1” higher. Oh and of course I can carry my 5541 tripod as well.
Gordon

Dr
I'll walk quite a ways with my big lens mounted on my tripod with a pad for carrying but when I do pack it all away it goes into a Moose Peterson MP-1 pack. Actually after using his original MP-1 pack for almost two decades I recently picked up the new version of the same pack sold as the MindShift MP-1 V2. It carries my 600mm f/4 with a D5 body attached in one big compartment and has two smaller compartments for other lenses, back up bodies, flashes and accessories.

I tried the Lowepro Long Lens pack many years ago for an older 600mm f/4 lens that I owned at the time but I decided it was too limiting as it really just carried the one big lens and I usually have a couple of shorter lenses plus some day supplies like a bit of food and water and maybe rain gear that I also want to carry if I'm going very far from the car.

I'm sure there are other solutions out there and you should have more options with the 500mm f/4 G lens as it's a bit smaller than the 600mm f/4.
where did you find the mp-1 v2 bag??

Last edited:
Just wondering what people's solutions are for carrying a super telephoto lens out in the field. It would be great if we could all load up our cars with anything we might need and drive to every spot, but more often than not, I need to hike a bit to get to where the best opportunities await. What do you guys use to carry long lenses for mid length hikes? Lets say 2-5 miles? Do you typically just carry the big lens (and support, if needed), or do you carry other gear as well?

I shoot mostly with a 500 F4G, but I don't like to be limited to just one focal length unless I know exactly what and where will be shooting, so I often carry the 80-400G too, a 105 for macro stuff, teleconverters, monopod, sometimes a flash, sometimes a wider angle zoom, and other bits, etc. Most of the time I have one of the long lenses in my hand, and all the other stuff in the backpack. This is usually a reasonable solution, but troublesome if it rains, as it is hard to fit everything actually in the bag. Also, it is obviously heavy, and the more I take the heavier it gets.

I'm currently using a Mindshift Backlight 26L, with a lens pouch attached to the hipbelt. It actually does a surprisingly good job of fitting things, and I love the rear panel access, but ergonomically it seems to be designed for a smaller weight load. The shoulder straps and his belt just don't seem designed for holding a kit that can weigh 30+ pounds, and the boxy shape so common to camera bags isn't an ideal fit - which becomes more apparent as the weight increases.

-Frank

I have a Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW II with 6 accessory pouches to accommodate 70-200mm and 5 shorter lenses. It has a front pocket to fit a rain jacket + a sandwich...used maybe twice before health issues precluded long treks with camera. Will accommodate my Nikon 600mm f4 with lens attached or 800mm by itself. Excellent piece of kit...just wish I was still up to making good use of it. If interested, will consider any reasonable offer.

Last edited:
I also use the LowePro Photo Trekker backpack and it has well padded shoulder straps and an excellent waist strap to support the weight. The Lowepro is long enough so I can have the 600mm lens with a 2x teleconverter attached fit easily inside. A common problem with backpacks and even shoulder bags in general is that the larger they are the poorer the straps and waist belts that are provided.

That’s a lot of stuff! LowePro 650 is a beast and will fit it all, and then some. It’s a true hiking pack so it’s pretty comfortable. I have the bag you currently have and the LowePro.

I have Moose Peterson also and it’s awesome but not as comfortable for hiking. They’re no longer made and most place have sold their stock.

-Frank
I recently (about 2 years ago) picked up the Atlas Adventure Backpack. You can check all it's features here. Earlier I was using the Manfrotto Bumblebee Backpack which was good for my gear but lacked space for other things.

They are located in Phoenix, Arizona, US. There are several YouTube reviews of the same which you can check out. Since I am located in Singapore, I always need to travel out of the country to do my wildlife photography. Hence I needed a backpack which I can hand carry on flights with all my gear. They have impeccable service and will answer all your questions via email. The owner Allan Henry is a very friendly guy and his response is very fast. The best part is you get to customize your backpack as per your built and requirements.

AtlasAdventurePack008.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

In order of preference depending on situation.
*No 600 f/4
  • Hand Carry
  • Shoulder strap- Peak Design "Slide"
  • Shoulder bag- Domke F-1X
  • Backpack- Lowepro 500AW "flipside"
  • Harness- LowePro S&F Technical w/assorted bags and a rope for supporting camera/lens attached to shoulder strap

Last edited by a moderator:

I've got the same Backlight 26L and find it great for lighter loads. Also got the Backlight Elite 45L and find it really good too. Can easily tab for hours in relative comfort with a 500mm f/4 and 300mm f/2.8

I have used the Lowepro Lenstrekker 600AW for some time and I was very happy with it for the following reasons:
1. It is quite narrow compared with other backpacks, which makes it a bit easier to carry if you need to keep the space free for moving your arms (e.g. using a bike or climbing)
2. Good and flexible system for tripod
3. Depending on the long lens you carry, you will be able to modifay the interior in a way, that allows you to have a second body with a lens in there as well
4. Many points for attaching Street & Field pouches for additional stuff (lens, binoculars, seat)
5. Good wearing comfort

The integrated rain cover is very good, but only covers the backpack itself. If you have external attachments it gets ab bit tricky. But I haven't used it much, because the outer material is quite rugged and water-resistant in itself and it allows impregnation.

The picture below shows it with one D750 with grip and the 500 f/4G (hood in transport position) plus second D750 with grip and the 24-120 f/4. The additional velcro pad in the front was removed for the photo (I had some spare from my Peli case). For small accessories you have another pocket on the outside. I don't have it any more so I can't check, but I am pretty sure I would have got the second body in there also with the rather big 24-70 f72.8 or the 300PF.

Lowepro_Lens_Trekker_600_AW_II_07_s.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

If somebody looks for bags and wants to see how other people use it and what they can get in you take a look here and you can see, why ths guy is calling his webbsite "bag freak" :). It is a German only site (sorry) but this guy has collected photos of LOTS of bags from others. In the section "Taschenart" they are sorted by the category of bag/packpack/..., in the section "Hersteller" they are sorted by manufacturer and model. Maybe that helps also ...

I have a Lowepro Lens Trekker 600 AW III that I no longer make good use of due to health. I have 6 accessory pouches to strap 70-200 mm and 5 smaller lenses to the outside of the pack. The pack accommodates my Nikon 600mm f4 with body +- TC or my 800mm w/o body attached.
If interested, I will pass on to you for any reasonable offer.

I've got the same Backlight 26L and find it great for lighter loads. Also got the Backlight Elite 45L and find it really good too. Can easily tab for hours in relative comfort with a 500mm f/4 and 300mm f/2.8

How do you find the 45L compares to the regular 26L? They have a 36L too, but it just looks like a scaled up 26L, and while bigger, I doubt it will be any better for the heavier load. Do you find the Elite 45L to be well fitting? Is the harness system noticeably improved? Is the hip belt able to take the weight of the pack? Thanks for any info you can share!

-Frank

How do you find the 45L compares to the regular 26L? They have a 36L too, but it just looks like a scaled up 26L, and while bigger, I doubt it will be any better for the heavier load. Do you find the Elite 45L to be well fitting? Is the harness system noticeably improved? Is the hip belt able to take the weight of the pack? Thanks for any info you can share!

-Frank

The 45L is totally different, feels more like a mountain pack. Fits me well, I'm 6ft and 220lbs. Harness system has more adjustment than the 26L and the hip belt is more rigid, think the main aluminium frame helps too.

Pas évident quand je vois tous ces sacs. Pour moi, qui ne suis plus très jeune et ai des problèmes avec mon élévateur de pied, mon premier critère est que lorsque je bouge mon appareil doit être dans le sac pour qu'il soit protégé en cas de chute. 2ème critère, capable d'accueillir mon trépied et une petite assise pliante. 3ème critère, une poche pour pouvoir accueillir ma tête pendulaire (démontée). 4ème critère embarquer un 24-120 mm f4 et un D850 + un 150-600mm, un sac de quelques filtres (ND, polarisant), une télécommande, une rotule normale et quelques bagatelles. L'idéal pour moi serait toujours de pouvoir monter mon 24-120 mm sur mon D810. On peut rêver. (Google Traduction)

I use a Think Tank Glass Limo. I reverse the lens hood and with my D5 attached it will fit nicely. I have a 1.4x , extra battery, QXD cards, and shutter release inside the bag. On the outside I attached a Lens Changer 50 for a 24-120mm F4. At times I've added a Lens Changer 75 Pop Down for an 80-400mm F4.5-5.6. I hand carry my tripod although it could be attached to the bag. I've hike a mile carrying this. As a side note, I'm a flat-lander and 73 yrs old.

Back