Hiking Backpack For Long Lenses

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I have the Lowepro Lenstrekker 600AW and the Kinesis L522 with all the options. While both securely carry lens with body attached, I find them both a bit heavy after a while. Both for sale , like new :) What I really have come to love is my Think Tank Glass Limo. Perfect for my d850 with 400 f2.8 and TC attached. I carried this as a carry-on piece all across India. Will not accommodate the lens with hood extended.

I had tried the Lowepro Lenstreker 600AW when I had a 500mmf4 mounted on my D500. Can't recall but I didn't really care for it for my taste. Currently I have a Tamrac 5793 Professional Series and really like it for hiking with my 600mmf4 mounted on either the D500 or D850 w/grip. Only complaint is lack of space for adding anything else, like another body or smaller lens. I usually manage to stuff a 1.4 tele-converter and a cleaning kit w/extra battery and that's about it. It is all about compromise, too big/heavy & too cumbersome vs too small/lack of space but easy to carry and hike around with.

The 45L is totally different, feels more like a mountain pack. Fits me well, I'm 6ft and 220lbs. Harness system has more adjustment than the 26L and the hip belt is more rigid, think the main aluminium frame helps too.
Thanks for this response. Been looking at the 45L; my want is something that is almost hiking pack first, so good to hear it's "like a mountain pack." Other thing I've been considering is using my hiking backpack (65L arc'teryx) and packing the camera(s) and lenses in separate 'bags' which then get packed into the pack as I'm going to want to hike the gear into locations for a couple of nights on occasion, with minimalist non camera gear, or take someone else and make them carry the tent and my sleeping kit LOL

Thanks for this response. Been looking at the 45L; my want is something that is almost hiking pack first, so good to hear it's "like a mountain pack." Other thing I've been considering is using my hiking backpack (65L arc'teryx) and packing the camera(s) and lenses in separate 'bags' which then get packed into the pack as I'm going to want to hike the gear into locations for a couple of nights on occasion, with minimalist non camera gear, or take someone else and make them carry the tent and my sleeping kit LOL
FWIW, I use a Shimoda Explore 60 for that kind of backcountry over night photo pack. It's a pretty good blend of hiking pack and photo pack and is good for my astro kit or smaller wildlife kit but the core units they sell for it don't really handle a 600mm f/4 or at least without going to the extra large core which wouldn't leave much room for even minimalist camping gear.

FWIW, I use a Shimoda Explore 60 for that kind of backcountry photo pack. It's a pretty good blend of hiking pack and photo pack and is good for my astro kit or smaller wildlife kit but the core units they sell for it don't really handle a 600mm f/4 or at least without going to the extra large core which wouldn't leave much room for even minimalist camping gear.
Worth a look as I consider options. Thanks!

I use a Think Tank Glass Limo. I reverse the lens hood and with my D5 attached it will fit nicely. I have a 1.4x , extra battery, QXD cards, and shutter release inside the bag. On the outside I attached a Lens Changer 50 for a 24-120mm F4. At times I've added a Lens Changer 75 Pop Down for an 80-400mm F4.5-5.6. I hand carry my tripod although it could be attached to the bag. I've hike a mile carrying this. As a side note, I'm a flat-lander and 73 yrs old.
I do have the Glass Limo to carry a camera, lens and a binocular but find it has no room to carry any personal gear, food etc:. I am looking at the Backlight 36L as an option.

Just wondering what people's solutions are for carrying a super telephoto lens out in the field. It would be great if we could all load up our cars with anything we might need and drive to every spot, but more often than not, I need to hike a bit to get to where the best opportunities await. What do you guys use to carry long lenses for mid length hikes? Lets say 2-5 miles? Do you typically just carry the big lens (and support, if needed), or do you carry other gear as well?

I shoot mostly with a 500 F4G, but I don't like to be limited to just one focal length unless I know exactly what and where will be shooting, so I often carry the 80-400G too, a 105 for macro stuff, teleconverters, monopod, sometimes a flash, sometimes a wider angle zoom, and other bits, etc. Most of the time I have one of the long lenses in my hand, and all the other stuff in the backpack. This is usually a reasonable solution, but troublesome if it rains, as it is hard to fit everything actually in the bag. Also, it is obviously heavy, and the more I take the heavier it gets.

I'm currently using a Mindshift Backlight 26L, with a lens pouch attached to the hipbelt. It actually does a surprisingly good job of fitting things, and I love the rear panel access, but ergonomically it seems to be designed for a smaller weight load. The shoulder straps and his belt just don't seem designed for holding a kit that can weigh 30+ pounds, and the boxy shape so common to camera bags isn't an ideal fit - which becomes more apparent as the weight increases.

So let's hear it. What does everyone use?

-Frank
Thanks for prompting this discussion. For what it's worth, I've now read way too much and watched far too many reviews on backpacks aimed at the hiking/camping/backcountry photographer, than is productive :) but I've settled on the F Stop Sukha 70L and two of the "Inner Camera Units -- XL for when the hike is all about photography, and the medium ICU when either length of hike requires more room for camping gear or is more about hiking but I still want to bring along camera gear but leave the big guns at home :) And for Canadians, note the shipping fee is huge (nearly 10% of the bag's cost if from F stop via amazon) but B&H has the bag and of course ships to the wild north for free and more quickly than Amazon. Couple other bags came close for me but all reviewers were pretty clear -- F stop was closest to actual backpack for for comfort, weight distribution and straps and belt configurations and even with the XL ICU still leaves room inside and on the outside of the bag for non camera gear.

Like Pacific1976, I've the Mind Shift Backlight 36L version for two years and love it!

I am not good at setting up dividers. I never understand why they come that way from factory. Do people really use twelve tiny deep compartments or is that just filler to protect the larger lens?
No, they enable you to customise the container for eg teleconverters and other lenses, as well as to close up on the major item to avoid movement.

Good thing about the F-stop Sukha is that it's carry-on.

Sukha review

I'm not convinced about how waterproof its zips are though, or the Shinn's. With horizontal rain or spray I'm planning for more protection. Maybe their cover.

I realize they are meant to be customizable but do you find the provided pieces match what you want/need usually? I am terrible at getting them setup myself.
Yes, I do.
For a month or more in the field I use the XL and Tele Master.
The Tele Master is usually empty as the main rig sits on the front passenger seat. It has empty compartments in the pic as I add what I need before setting out on foot. That will usually be TCs/TC cases and cleaning gear.
The XL is basically the cupboard and takes my small second rig, two general purpose lenses, two TCs, filters and several bags of cleaning gear.
IMG_20200906_082504.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

IMG_20200906_082731.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I have a Digiant camera backpack. I am able to put two camera bodies (D750 and Z6) as well as the following lenses: 300-600 zoom. 70 - 200 zoom, 85 macro, 50 prime, 28-75 zoom, 24 prime and 14 prime. I still have room for filters, cleaning gear, and spare cards. It's heavy, but it works for me.

Seriously considering the Gitzo Adventury 45L as it can fit a 600mm f4 attached to a DSLR body and have room for an additional spare body and or small lens and teleconverters and has a top section to fit packable items like a rain jacket, camo suit, or sweatshirt. Pricey and not any used ones on the market from what I can see recently.

Yes, I do.
For a month or more in the field I use the XL and Tele Master.
The Tele Master is usually empty as the main rig sits on the front passenger seat. It has empty compartments in the pic as I add what I need before setting out on foot. That will usually be TCs/TC cases and cleaning gear.
The XL is basically the cupboard and takes my small second rig, two general purpose lenses, two TCs, filters and several bags of cleaning gear.
View attachment 3261

View attachment 3262
What size ICU is that?

Back