Hiking Stool suggestions

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm looking for a lightweight, backpackable, hiking stool for my wife and I. She want's one she can sit on and sketch while I'm photographing. I'd like one for rest stops and food breaks. Any suggestions are appreciated.

Looks to be pretty much the same design Dave posted above...smallest, lightest and plenty strong...highly recommended. I like a tri-leg design since it allows you to tilt in various directions easily. One thing I will be doing is fabricating some slip on 2-3" diameter aluminum pads to slip over the feet for better support when on soft ground.

Cheers!

I really dislike the 3-legged variety due to floatation, comfort, and durability issues. By floatation, I mean surface area on the often-soft -- or not uniformly hard -- ground. I also find that the feet never last long. I MUCH prefer a design with bars rather than feet on the ground.

Here is a link to what I am currently using and happy with: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08R1LWCK2

I bought that one because it was an aluminum version of that design and expected to disable the compact folding feature but find that I do actually break it down into the compact fold fairly regularly depending on which backpack I am using. I did modify mine slightly by removing the under-seat net which I have no use for.

My last version of a similar design was steel and eventually rusted through on the bottom rails. I suspect a weakness of my preferred design is that a sharp rock could dent or deform the bottom rail but it's rare that the only place I can set up is on something like that.

Edit: I decided to link a pic rather than just providing the URL.
415RqH1euSL._AC_.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks all, is the Walkstool a variable height or just full and collapsed? I think that is the one that's gong to work best, but I don't want something too high for my wife.
First of all, you can purchase the stool in different sizes. Secondarily, supposedly you can sit on the seat while the legs are retracted (e.g. at approximately half height). I guess that is what you might mean by "collapsed". I have never tried to use it like that as it seems it would be more unstable in that configuration. There is no in-between setting.

Last edited:
I took one of these to Nome last June. I would warn users that they are not that great on uneven ground, and that if you make any movements that are at all "lateral" (adjusting your position to "scooting" a bit) the stool might well break. Mine did. When I got home I was able to fix it but on subsequent trips I took my walkstool, tallish model.

Check on Amazon as they sell many hundreds in a wide range of styles. The most compact are the tripod legs with a triangular seat but these are also by far the least comfortable. The "stadium" seats are much more comfortable and provide some support for the back and are made from tubular aluminum stock.

Thanks all, is the Walkstool a variable height or just full and collapsed? I think that is the one that's gong to work best, but I don't want something too high for my wife.
In theory, you can use an intermediate leg extension (only 2 clicks) , but from a practical point of view, shortening the legs creates a smaller (narrower’ base to the tripod legs and it’s not stable. Buy one on amazon and she can try it out. Not sure if 3 different sizes available refer to size of canvas seat or height of stool or both. I need large, so don’t know, but the Amazon specs probably answer that.

Heavier (about 2x at least by the looks of it) to stool, but I really need a back on my chair to be comfortable over any length of time so I use this:
Packs up nicely in a bag that hangs over the shoulder (or straps nicely to a day pack).

Back