Honest critique appreciated

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

We took this photo in Bosco del Apache earlier this year on a very cold morning and would appreciate comments on the photo and what could be done to enhance it.

Attachments

• New Mexico & Arizona-2262.jpg
    New Mexico & Arizona-2262.jpg
    726.5 KB · Views: 142
I like the mood and light. If this was my photo I would crop off the three birds and lens flared spot on the right. I think it would give better balance. Actually, even just cropping the bird farthest on the right might work, too. I would also maybe let the shadows go just a tad darker to make it close to a silhouette. As is always the case when I give ideas like this, I realize that after the changes are made it might not look quite the way I imagined. Just throwing out some ideas, here. Regardless, this is a very nice shot. The orange light and mist give it a magical quality. I will be in Bosque in a few days and this shot is hyping me up for the trip. :)

I agree with ^^^ previous suggestions, especially the 3 birds on the right. For a different look, try a 16x9 format which may delete some of the grass in the foreground and make the birds a bit mor prominent… wonderful shot! Nice work…

Thank you all for the suggestions and I have applied some of them here. I went to an 8.5 x 11 size as the 16 x 9 format did not work. I also increased the shadows for a more silhouette look. When I added grain, I thought it lost some of the impact. I do think it looks better now. Again thank you all.

Attachments

• New Mexico & Arizona-2262.jpg
    New Mexico & Arizona-2262.jpg
    986.4 KB · Views: 73
I like the backlighting and the mood and the story it tells. The silhouette of the birds on the right and the partial silhouette of the main subjects works, and the glow around the rim of feathers is nice. I guess I would clone away some of the stray grasses seeking a cleaner look without disrupting the vibe.

One distracting thing to me is the blown out areas within the main grasses. The blown out sky adds to the feeling, but if the raw has anything to give to selectively pull down those blown out spots near the subjects. It's nice that they are bright, just need some detail. They kind of pop out as negative space becoming positive. That might be a job for photoshop but you could try it in curves to pull back the whites in that area only.

Nice shot overall!

I am sorry but the shot was taken not at Bosco but at a state reserve about an hour north at Bernardo Waterfowl Mangement Area. It was recommended to us by the rangers at Bosco as the number of birds we saw when we were there left us wanting more. Bernardo Waterfowl Mangement Area had many and we found them to be closer and more active especially in the early morning. Just a note to bring warm gear as one morning it was 5 degrees so be prepared.

Back