Hooded Merganser vs Mallards

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Craig Yuill

Supporting Member
Marketplace
A pond that takes about five minutes to walk to from my home is populated throughout the year by Mallards. Around the migration times other ducks or duck-like birds pay a visit. Yesterday I saw a Ring-Necked Duck and two Hooded Mergansers, one male and one female. I was quite amazed at how aggressive the male Hooded Merganser was towards the male Mallards. I managed to get some photos of a few of the exchanges. None of these are as spectacular as the Brown Pelican vs Osprey, small Shark, etc. photos that Mark Smith has posted of late. All were taken with my little Nikon V2 + 30-110mm lens (which has an angle of view similar to a 300mm lens when zoomed to 110mm). These photos have been slightly to moderately cropped. I wish that I could have used a higher shutter speed for a lot of the photos I took, but I don't like going beyond ISO 800 (to 1600) with the V2. (Unfortunately, the V2 does not allow incremental ISO and exposure settings.) I have a longer F-mount lens that I could have attached to the V2 via an FT1 adapter to get tighter compositions - but I felt like staying native, lens-wise.

Anyways, here is the first pair of photos. The Hooded Merganser confronted a Mallard, then chomped on the Mallard's bill.

20220319 Hooded Merganser vs Mallard 1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

20220319 Hooded Merganser vs Mallard 2.jpg

Several minutes later, the Hooded Merganser went after a Mallard, butting it with its rather pointed beak. Don't worry - the Mallard seemed to swim away seemingly unscathed, if shaken up a bit.
20220319 Hooded Merganser vs Mallard 3.jpg

20220319 Hooded Merganser vs Mallard 4.jpg

Fun pictures, well done! I had the opposite sort of experience a couple of years ago when a male Hooded Merganser was following a group of Mallards everywhere as if he wanted to be a part of their group. It was pretty humorous. :)

Back