Horizontal Arm For Macro/Close-Ups

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For general photography, I have always followed the advice that a good tripod without a center column is preferred for stability, and it there is a center column, then try to keep in down or as low as possible. For garden macro/close-up work, this tripod arrangement does not always allow you to get in the position you want to get the photo you desire. I do have a macro rail that allows me some leeway off of the center axis of the tripod, but that only give you a handful of inches at best. I have seen a variety of adjustable horizontal arms (or center columns that raise up to become a horizontal arm) that allow more flexibility. They are usually shown filming overhead shots in kitchens as an example. While not ideal for stability, these do seem like an option worth considering. I have seen models from Sirui, Leofoto and Feisol, as well as tripods from Vanguard and Manfrotto. I could be loading up a D500 or D750 with a 105mm Micro-Nikkor (and possibly a TC on occasion as they work with the 105) so this is a somewhat unbalanced and slightly heavy load, thus I would like an arm that is designed to handle this type of load (probably with an offsetting counter-weight on the other end of the arm). Feisol's VH-60HA is the largest diameter arm at 37mm. And Leofoto has 32mm and 29mm arms.

Has anybody actually used an arm for this type of work? And if so, do you have any recommendations or advice? The Feisol is $200USD, and the Leofoto options run around $90-120USD. I do not want to overbuy, but I also do not want to buy twice, or at all if there are compelling alternatives that might convince me to do otherwise.

Thanks,

--Ken

For general photography, I have always followed the advice that a good tripod without a center column is preferred for stability, and it there is a center column, then try to keep in down or as low as possible. For garden macro/close-up work, this tripod arrangement does not always allow you to get in the position you want to get the photo you desire. I do have a macro rail that allows me some leeway off of the center axis of the tripod, but that only give you a handful of inches at best. I have seen a variety of adjustable horizontal arms (or center columns that raise up to become a horizontal arm) that allow more flexibility. They are usually shown filming overhead shots in kitchens as an example. While not ideal for stability, these do seem like an option worth considering. I have seen models from Sirui, Leofoto and Feisol, as well as tripods from Vanguard and Manfrotto. I could be loading up a D500 or D750 with a 105mm Micro-Nikkor (and possibly a TC on occasion as they work with the 105) so this is a somewhat unbalanced and slightly heavy load, thus I would like an arm that is designed to handle this type of load (probably with an offsetting counter-weight on the other end of the arm). Feisol's VH-60HA is the largest diameter arm at 37mm. And Leofoto has 32mm and 29mm arms.

Has anybody actually used an arm for this type of work? And if so, do you have any recommendations or advice? The Feisol is $200USD, and the Leofoto options run around $90-120USD. I do not want to overbuy, but I also do not want to buy twice, or at all if there are compelling alternatives that might convince me to do otherwise.

Thanks,

--Ken
Following.

I do not own it and don't know about the quality, but a company named Vanguard has a tripod with an integral horizontal arm. Here's a link to it and a link to a YouTube video about it:

I do not own it and don't know about the quality, but a company named Vanguard has a tripod with an integral horizontal arm. Here's a link to it and a link to a YouTube video about it:

I am familiar with Vanguard and with Mike's YT channel (which I enjoy watching from time to time). I have not ruled it out, but I am concerned about the leg diameter of their tripods. I believe they are 26mm, and IIRC, my Gitzo is 34mm for the largest leg. I could probably mount my Olympus E-M1 MK II with the 60mm macro on the Vanguard, but would be a bit nervous about the Nikon setup I mentioned above. I may be wrong, and that was one reason why I put up this thread. I am curious to hear other people's experiences.

--Ken

Has anybody actually used an arm for this type of work?
Yup, I've used a Manfrotto horizontal arm for straight down shots including nature macro shots and copy camera style shots. It's a very sturdy unit and you can adjust the position of the bar horizontally which allows you to hang a weight like a sandbag off the unused side of the arm to improve stability. A very handy accessory for that kind of work.

If I don't need so much horizontal reach I just use a Wimberley Sidekick clamped into a ballhead with the Sidekick sticking straight out to one side instead of standing vertically. The also works for straight down shots in many situations.

I've posted this in other threads, but FWIW here's a camera setup for straight down water refraction shots using the Wimberley Sidekick to hold the lens in a straight down orientation:
1643940976319.png

Yup, I've used a Manfrotto horizontal arm for straight down shots including nature macro shots and copy camera style shots. It's a very sturdy unit and you can adjust the position of the bar horizontally which allows you to hang a weight like a sandbag off the unused side of the arm to improve stability. A very handy accessory for that kind of work.

If I don't need so much horizontal reach I just use a Wimberley Sidekick clamped into a ballhead with the Sidekick sticking straight out to one side instead of standing vertically. The also works for straight down shots in many situations.

I've posted this in other threads, but FWIW here's a camera setup for straight down water refraction shots using the Wimberley Sidekick to hold the lens in a straight down orientation:
View attachment 31991
I have a sidekick and never thought of trying to use it like this. While it does not give me the reach, it does offer some flexibility and I will need to mount it on my main rig and see how it works. Thanks for the suggestion. I am not that familiar with the Manfrotto arm and will give it a look.

Also, I see that you are also using a Lumecube. I have two and find them useful for these types of situations when they are not in use lighting me on Zoom calls.

Thanks,

--Ken

View attachment 31991
One more question. Does the Manfrotto arm raise and lower off of the center axis or is it fixed in the level, horizontal position?

Thanks,

--Ken

View attachment 31991

Like Ken my current tripods are centre column free to ensure stability etc for landscapes and other situations where I might be using long exposure times.

For macro however I find the lack of a centre column limiting relative to the time it takes me to make height adjustments when photographing insects/spiders etc.

I must admit to having a preference for a tripod that already has an adjustable centre column such as the Vanguard models: however would also consider the ‘arm’ option if not too fiddly.

My main question re the arms is how ‘fiddly’ are they to set up as I imagine it means removing the ball or other head from the tripod, installing the arm on the tripod then reinstalling the ballhead on the arm? Then returning the whole system back to its original configuration for landscapes etc. Or alternatively another option might be buying a second ballhead and having it permanently installed on the arm, although it would still mean a bit of mucking about.

How have you found your experience with the Manfrotto arm setup?

Thanks Paul.

Last edited:
One more question. Does the Manfrotto arm raise and lower off of the center axis or is it fixed in the level, horizontal position?

Thanks,

--Ken
The Manfrotto arms I've owned are fixed in a horizontal position if mounted directly to the tripod but I've seen folks mount them on a large Ballhead so they can be tilted to arbitrary angles with another ballhead on one end to position the camera as desired. I never found a need to mount them that way.

The type of boom arm/side arm I'm talking about looks like this:
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 10.30.12 PM.png

How have you found your experience with the Manfrotto arm setup?
I didn't find it very fiddly in the sense that it's pretty sturdy and fast to set up. I didn't keep a spare ballhead on the end and just used my normal ballhead out on one end with the center attached to the ballhead mounting stud on the tripod. This isn't something I carried every day in the field but pulled out for particular projects. It's been several years since I've used one of these and would have to dig through my photo stuff to see if I still have it or if it found a new home along the way. In the past couple of years I've just used the Sidekick when I wanted to point the camera straight down and then found ways to adjust the tripod to get the positioning I was after. It's been a while since I needed straight down shooting angles very often.

I've got a Carbon fibre 3 section legs (for better stability than the 4 section model) Manfrotto 055

I use it with a decent ball head and find it useful sometimes when shooting really low down to chock one or two feet when the legs are sread out to their max so as to allow the end of the arm to get closer to the ground. No chocks needed for working at other heights.

I also have an iFfootage Cobra 2 monopod which is just so flexible and can also get close to the ground

This review hooked me:

Last edited:
Likewise a long term user of a Manfrotto 055 carbon series with the center column that easily converts to a horizontal arm. Reasonably sturdy for use with a D850 or D500 and macro lens. Doesn't seem that the 055 series is still available, but the 190 series is available in AL or CF and has the feature to convert the center post to horizontal.

If you extend the arm out horizontally very far, you'll need to counterweight the opposite side of the arm or the tripod itself.

Doesn't seem that the 055 series is still available, but the 190 series is available in AL or CF and has the feature to convert the center post to horizontal.

Still shown on the UK website:

Listed at B&H

[QUOTE="MotoPixel, post: 144205, member: 4091]If you extend the arm out horizontally very far, you'll need to counterweight the opposite side of the arm or the tripod itself.
[/QUOTE]

If you have splayed the legs out to get lower and they exceed the length of the centre column counterbalancing is not necessary. I'm presuming here that the lens in use won't be a 600mm f4........

Still shown on the UK website:

Listed at B&H

Interesting...it didn't show up when I did a quick check of the Products section ofManfrotto site, though it shows up if you search for it by the 055 series. I must say, the Manfrotto site could be better organized. Thanks for tracking that down.

I must say, the Manfrotto site could be better organized

Agreed! They have the 393 gimbal listed under long lens monopod bracket - not gimbals!!

This is the opposite to 'stable' but for some handheld macro situations while trail walking I use a variation of a painter's Mahlstick. I cut down skinny driveway markers from the home store to about 15 inches so I can reuse the little rubber tips. I make 3 and wrap one end together strongly with rubber bands. This can be used in various ways to stabilize handheld shots. Most stable is to spread out the 3 feet and hold tightly in the claw of my left hand, and rest the camera in my right hand on my left hand.

Not a tripod, but only a couple ounces added to the trail kit.

The Manfrotto arms I've owned are fixed in a horizontal position if mounted directly to the tripod but I've seen folks mount them on a large Ballhead so they can be tilted to arbitrary angles with another ballhead on one end to position the camera as desired. I never found a need to mount them that way.

The type of boom arm/side arm I'm talking about looks like this:
View attachment 31993
I know my wife's garden and several other gardens where I would like to shoot, and if a height adjustable arm proves stable, then that would probably be the best solution. There are spots where it would be difficult to maneuver a tripod more than a little bit, if at all.

--Ken

Likewise a long term user of a Manfrotto 055 carbon series with the center column that easily converts to a horizontal arm. Reasonably sturdy for use with a D850 or D500 and macro lens. Doesn't seem that the 055 series is still available, but the 190 series is available in AL or CF and has the feature to convert the center post to horizontal.

If you extend the arm out horizontally very far, you'll need to counterweight the opposite side of the arm or the tripod itself.
The 055 was one of the first solutions that popped into my head. But, as I already own two tripods, and my Gitzo is rock solid, I was hoping to buy an arm rather than another set of legs if possible.

--Ken

[QUOTE="MotoPixel, post: 144205, member: 4091]If you extend the arm out horizontally very far, you'll need to counterweight the opposite side of the arm or the tripod itself.

If you have splayed the legs out to get lower and they exceed the length of the centre column counterbalancing is not necessary. I'm presuming here that the lens in use won't be a 600mm f4........
[/QUOTE]
In my case, I would not be using a lens that large. And I am usually quite careful about any load and how it hangs off of any tripod or stable platform. The good thing about a large lens is that if you have a long plate, you can alter the center of gravity a bit with where you place the plate on the lens and where you place the plate in the ballhead. For me, the challenge is using Nikon's 105mm macro. It does not have a collar, but is quite a chunky lens. If I add a teleconverter for close-up work, since the lens accepts them, then I have even more weight, but the plate is on the body and the weight distribution over the plate is quite skewed. This is one reason that I am highly interested in the Feisol VH-60HA kit. The arm is the largest of all of the choices that I have seen - 37mm. In the end, I would certainly use a counter weight if needed.

--Ken

Back