Horizontal Arm For Macro/Close-Ups

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For me, the challenge is using Nikon's 105mm macro. It does not have a collar, but is quite a chunky lens. If I add a teleconverter for close-up work, since the lens accepts them, then I have even more weight, but the plate is on the body and the weight distribution over the plate is quite skewed.

Yes, lenses without a foot are difficult to mount. I'm finding that with my Fuji 70-300 with a 1.4x TC.

Manfrotto do a lens support that might offer a way forward. I think that it will not work with the Nikkor 105 as it will not be able to be shortened enough, but the principal puts the center of balance/fulcrum point away from the camera:

For general photography, I have always followed the advice that a good tripod without a center column is preferred for stability, and it there is a center column, then try to keep in down or as low as possible. For garden macro/close-up work, this tripod arrangement does not always allow you to get in the position you want to get the photo you desire. I do have a macro rail that allows me some leeway off of the center axis of the tripod, but that only give you a handful of inches at best. I have seen a variety of adjustable horizontal arms (or center columns that raise up to become a horizontal arm) that allow more flexibility. They are usually shown filming overhead shots in kitchens as an example. While not ideal for stability, these do seem like an option worth considering. I have seen models from Sirui, Leofoto and Feisol, as well as tripods from Vanguard and Manfrotto. I could be loading up a D500 or D750 with a 105mm Micro-Nikkor (and possibly a TC on occasion as they work with the 105) so this is a somewhat unbalanced and slightly heavy load, thus I would like an arm that is designed to handle this type of load (probably with an offsetting counter-weight on the other end of the arm). Feisol's VH-60HA is the largest diameter arm at 37mm. And Leofoto has 32mm and 29mm arms.

Has anybody actually used an arm for this type of work? And if so, do you have any recommendations or advice? The Feisol is $200USD, and the Leofoto options run around $90-120USD. I do not want to overbuy, but I also do not want to buy twice, or at all if there are compelling alternatives that might convince me to do otherwise.

Thanks,

--Ken
I have the vanguard. I have a gitzo series 5 systematic also. The vanguard is more than capable of handling the d500 and the micro lens with converter that you mentioned. I used it for macro shots exactly as you describe with the exact equipment to take photos of my gemstones. I do find using a remote trigger and mirror delay works best to ensure perfect sharpness.

I have the vanguard. I have a gitzo series 5 systematic also. The vanguard is more than capable of handling the d500 and the micro lens with converter that you mentioned. I used it for macro shots exactly as you describe with the exact equipment to take photos of my gemstones. I do find using a remote trigger and mirror delay works best to ensure perfect sharpness.
This is good to hear, especially since you have a very stable rig for comparison (and shutter delay w/emote triggering are a given). May I ask which Vanguard model you have? I was shying away from another set of legs, but I am going to give this some additional consideration.

As I was thinking about this and reading reviews of various products, I began to wonder if I could "deconstruct" the various solutions and create something on my own. Less things that need to be attached has always been considered better for stability, but I was wondering if I could purchase a fixed arm and something like a monopod head and attach them with a plate. This would allow me to pick both the head and arm that I think would be a good solution. It would also allow me to use the head for other purposes. But, I am concerned about how solid the attachment would be between the plated arm and the head. it might not be worse than a cheap solution, but it may not be as strong as a good kit.

--Ken

This is good to hear, especially since you have a very stable rig for comparison (and shutter delay w/emote triggering are a given). May I ask which Vanguard model you have? I was shying away from another set of legs, but I am going to give this some additional consideration.

As I was thinking about this and reading reviews of various products, I began to wonder if I could "deconstruct" the various solutions and create something on my own. Less things that need to be attached has always been considered better for stability, but I was wondering if I could purchase a fixed arm and something like a monopod head and attach them with a plate. This would allow me to pick both the head and arm that I think would be a good solution. It would also allow me to use the head for other purposes. But, I am concerned about how solid the attachment would be between the plated arm and the head. it might not be worse than a cheap solution, but it may not be as strong as a good kit.

--Ken

Is the idea Steve puts forward in this video the sort of thing you are thinking about? For the arm and head.

Is the idea Steve puts forward in this video the sort of thing you are thinking about? For the arm and head.

Yes, this is a good solution for changing a lot of heads. And I appreciate that Steve specifically said that it was as stable as directly bolting the head to the tripod. Introducing plate and connectors where there normally are none can be a concern.

--Ken

Well, after looking at and considering numerous options, I decided to try the Leofoto HC-32 arm - https://leofotousa.com/products/leo...izontal-panoramic-tripod-center-column?_pos=1 . It was the longest arm, and it was 32mm in diameter. I am not that crazy about the toothed interface on the mechanism to raise and lower the arm, but I am willing to give it a try since I can return it if it is a problem.

--Ken

Okay, did anybody read through the comments on this video. I thought this comment about a Loctite alternative was interesting:

while blue loctite is ok, you can use a dab of Colgate toothpaste for the same results with absolutely NO thread damage when you or if you need to remove it. We use Colgate for a lot of frequently removed bolts for desert racing applications... works great

--Ken

The arm and a couple of plates I ordered with it arrived this afternoon. I had a few minutes this evening to try things out (without a counter weight) and I was going to post my initial impressions, but I think it would be more useful if I did a reality check first to make sure my expectations are not out of line. So, my questions for those who have used horizontal arms are:
  • How smooth and easy should it be to get a fully loaded arm in place for a macro photo (i.e. adjusting arm extension and arm angle)?
  • Do most or all arms have some compromises (major or minor) in their designs with respect to smoothness and ease of operations?
I ask because when I normally use my Markins ballhead, adjustments tend to be quite smooth and easy. Making fine adjustments on a fully loaded arm did not seem nearly as smooth, and I did not know if that was just the nature of the best, the nature of the arm that I am trying out, my lack of prior experience with a macro arm or some combination thereof. Any wisdom would be appreciated. I am hoping to spend some actual time photographing with this set-up this weekend if possible.

Thanks,

--Ken

Ken while I am unable to respond to your questions as I haven’t used arms of any type for photography I have a feeling the arms may be a little fiddly for macro work.

I think I will go down the Vanguard Carbon Fibre Tripod road with the multi angle centre column (if I can find the model I want in Oz). My current tripods are both Gitzos without centre columns so I am continually adjusting the legs for height when shooting macro and it is a major pain and often by the time I have them adjusted the insect/spider etc has moved on. At least with the ‘arm’ built into the Vanguard as a centre column it can be raised and lowered without too much mucking about.

Being able to change angles with the centre column should also make things a little easier.

If I can get hold of one I will post my experience here and PM you.

Thanks for putting this thread up.

Paul.

Ken while I am unable to respond to your questions as I haven’t used arms of any type for photography I have a feeling the arms may be a little fiddly for macro work.

I think I will go down the Vanguard Carbon Fibre Tripod road with the multi angle centre column (if I can find the model I want in Oz). My current tripods are both Gitzos without centre columns so I am continually adjusting the legs for height when shooting macro and it is a major pain and often by the time I have them adjusted the insect/spider etc has moved on. At least with the ‘arm’ built into the Vanguard as a centre column it can be raised and lowered without too much mucking about.

Being able to change angles with the centre column should also make things a little easier.

If I can get hold of one I will post my experience here and PM you.

Thanks for putting this thread up.

Paul.
Hi Paul,

I share your interest in Vanguard's tripods and almost ordered one this afternoon so I could do a direct comparison. Instead I ordered the Feisol 37mm arm and head. Like you, I have a Gitzo tripod without a center column. But, my understanding about the Vanguard column is that it has to be fully raised out of the spider so it can pivot and raise and lower like a boom arm. If this assumption is correct, then a third party arm like the Leofoto or Feisol is not really different since those arms also raise and lower like a boom arm. The advantage that the Vanguard offers is when you use the center column in its traditional role where it can raise or lower (but not act like a boom arm). Vanguard may have changed the design of the spider mount and allow the arm to do both, but I have not seen that in any of the videos that I have seen to date.

The other issue that kept me from getting the Vanguard today was that the maximum leg diameter is only 26mm. The Leofoto arm I am evaluating is 32mm and the Feisol is 37mm. With the D500, the 105mm Micro-Nikkor and my Markins ballhead at the end of the arm, it seemed pretty heavy and desperately in need of a counter weight, and the largest legs on my Gitzo are around 33-34mm in diameter. I suppose that with this payload, one may need to commit to always using a counter weight, but it is funny to see the number of macro photography videos where the photographer is not using a counter weight.

Although I guess that is not as bad as the one video of a Sirui arm where the photographer tapped the arm a couple of times and it bounced. I'll give credit to the Leofoto, once you have it in place is seems to be quite solid. It is just getting it in place that I found challenging. If I was full on crazy, I would have also ordered the Vanguard and compared all three, but I have a real life and comparing two is more than enough for me. The Feisol should be arriving the beginning of next week. I hope it works as return shipping will come out of my pocket if it does not.

--Ken

Hi Paul,

I share your interest in Vanguard's tripods and almost ordered one this afternoon so I could do a direct comparison. Instead I ordered the Feisol 37mm arm and head. Like you, I have a Gitzo tripod without a center column. But, my understanding about the Vanguard column is that it has to be fully raised out of the spider so it can pivot and raise and lower like a boom arm. If this assumption is correct, then a third party arm like the Leofoto or Feisol is not really different since those arms also raise and lower like a boom arm. The advantage that the Vanguard offers is when you use the center column in its traditional role where it can raise or lower (but not act like a boom arm). Vanguard may have changed the design of the spider mount and allow the arm to do both, but I have not seen that in any of the videos that I have seen to date.

The other issue that kept me from getting the Vanguard today was that the maximum leg diameter is only 26mm. The Leofoto arm I am evaluating is 32mm and the Feisol is 37mm. With the D500, the 105mm Micro-Nikkor and my Markins ballhead at the end of the arm, it seemed pretty heavy and desperately in need of a counter weight, and the largest legs on my Gitzo are around 33-34mm in diameter. I suppose that with this payload, one may need to commit to always using a counter weight, but it is funny to see the number of macro photography videos where the photographer is not using a counter weight.

Although I guess that is not as bad as the one video of a Sirui arm where the photographer tapped the arm a couple of times and it bounced. I'll give credit to the Leofoto, once you have it in place is seems to be quite solid. It is just getting it in place that I found challenging. If I was full on crazy, I would have also ordered the Vanguard and compared all three, but I have a real life and comparing two is more than enough for me. The Feisol should be arriving the beginning of next week. I hope it works as return shipping will come out of my pocket if it does not.

--Ken

Hi Ken,

I think we may have very similar taste in gear, I also use Markins heads and enjoy their ease of use. Mind you I haven’t used other brand ball heads so I haven’t the ability to compare anything against the Markins.

Ball heads aside and back to arms and tripods for macro photography, my main frustration is adjusting for height and like you felt the need for something quicker and easier to adjust. I initially was going to purchase another Gitzo pod such as one of the Mountaineer Series which has a centre column and addresses my frustration re height adjustment with my current Gitzo’s. Then at some point I saw a video featuring the Vanguard Pod with the MACC and another video featuring a Benro Pod with a similar but less adjustable centre column. I then started thinking about cost vs use and realised macro is a small part of my photography and maybe didn’t justify the purchase price of another Gitzo as much as I love my current two.

I agree re the 26mm size of the Vanguard legs and the fact that the pods centre column needs to be disengaged from the spider mount before it can be used at an angle. For macro I shoot with the Nikon D850 and the Nikon 105mm macro lens but not TC so my weight is slightly heavier than yours, but not sure how much difference that may make. I also use a remote shutter release which helps control any camera and pod ‘tremors’.

I must admit while I was aware of ‘arms’ I have never really looked at them until you raised them in your posts. One of the things that I would be concerned about is the off centre balance when the arm is raised to its full vertical position with camera and lens attached. Unlike pods with their centre columns fully raised with lens and camera attached the centre of gravity remains centred over the pod.

So to cut to the chase I am now going to wait on your comparison and how you find them, especially for ease of use.

Cheers and have fun with the comparison.

Paul

Hi Ken,

I think we may have very similar taste in gear, I also use Markins heads and enjoy their ease of use. Mind you I haven’t used other brand ball heads so I haven’t the ability to compare anything against the Markins.

Ball heads aside and back to arms and tripods for macro photography, my main frustration is adjusting for height and like you felt the need for something quicker and easier to adjust. I initially was going to purchase another Gitzo pod such as one of the Mountaineer Series which has a centre column and addresses my frustration re height adjustment with my current Gitzo’s. Then at some point I saw a video featuring the Vanguard Pod with the MACC and another video featuring a Benro Pod with a similar but less adjustable centre column. I then started thinking about cost vs use and realised macro is a small part of my photography and maybe didn’t justify the purchase price of another Gitzo as much as I love my current two.

I agree re the 26mm size of the Vanguard legs and the fact that the pods centre column needs to be disengaged from the spider mount before it can be used at an angle. For macro I shoot with the Nikon D850 and the Nikon 105mm macro lens but not TC so my weight is slightly heavier than yours, but not sure how much difference that may make. I also use a remote shutter release which helps control any camera and pod ‘tremors’.

I must admit while I was aware of ‘arms’ I have never really looked at them until you raised them in your posts. One of the things that I would be concerned about is the off centre balance when the arm is raised to its full vertical position with camera and lens attached. Unlike pods with their centre columns fully raised with lens and camera attached the centre of gravity remains centred over the pod.

So to cut to the chase I am now going to wait on your comparison and how you find them, especially for ease of use.

Cheers and have fun with the comparison.

Paul
Hi Paul,

Yes, I believe that we do share somewhat similar taste in gear. I have really enjoyed my Markins head and mostly find it a pleasure to use. I do have a small Sirui ballhead and compact travel tripod which I enjoy, but the Markins, like many other well made ballheads, makes the job easy and generally hassle-free.

Regarding equipment for macros, I also did not want to sink a lot of funds into more equipment that would only be used on limited occasions. I didn't want to do this on the cheap, but I also did not want to buy something like another Gitzo. The Vanguard's with MACC columns appear to be a compromise product in that they are not as expensive as high end legs, but not as cheap as a lot of the knock-off gear often seen on Amazon and other online marketplaces. The arms that I am looking at kind of bracket the Vanguard, and I am happy to share my findings. I almost included the Vanguard in my evaluation, but I really do not appreciate it when folks just buy a bunch of stuff knowing that a lot of it will get returned. I can see when an item does not work out moving on to something else, but I try to be reasonable when I can. I ordered the Feisol arm because it appeared to be the best designed product for what I want. I am hoping that it corrects some of the issues that the Leofoto has presented. If not, then I am not sure if I need to reconsider my choices, or just try out the Vanguard since it seems to be the last option similar to the two arms.

You are correct to be concerned about equipment when the arm is out and fully extended, especially with the payload that either of us is considering. Without a counter balance, the Gitzo would have easily tipped over with minimal effort. Extending a camera out that far goes against everything we learned about trying to create a stable platform for taking photos, but I suspect that is not out of the realm of macro photography (and why counter weights may be considered a necessity).

The Feisol arrives on Monday if all goes well, and I will report back when I have it in hand. As I do not normally do much macro work on a tripod, I would still love a reality check form those that do engage in this kind of photography more frequently about expectations and limitations. I understand the convenience/stability trade-off (e.g. avoid center columns if at all possible), but macro shooters may look at the calculus of it differently than landscape shooters. They have techniques that allow them to get past the equipment, or they may be more willing to put up with inconveniences when out shooting.

--Ken

Two quick updates. First the Feisol VH60-HA kit arrived last night. I only had a few minutes to try and load it up with gear and see how it felt. All of the Feisol parts dwarf their Leofoto counterparts. Everything feels solid, heavy and moves slowly. It feels like what beef ribs are to baby back ribs - overly large, if not massive. The arm is shorter than the Leofoto, but not by enough to be an issue unless you really needed that extra reach. I probably will not have time to try it out until this weekend, but I wanted to give a brief update.

And, Amazon got the better of me and I ordered a Vanguard tripod with the MACC column. It was selling for half of what it was being sold for everywhere else, so it was quite hard to pass up, especially since the price dropped again while I was deciding to buy it or not. I may end up keeping it for other uses depending on how it feels. It arrives tomorrow. And, Amazon raised the price back to the full amount after I ordered it, so I am not sure why I got lucky, but I am not going to complain.

--Ken

Two quick updates. First the Feisol VH60-HA kit arrived last night. I only had a few minutes to try and load it up with gear and see how it felt. All of the Feisol parts dwarf their Leofoto counterparts. Everything feels solid, heavy and moves slowly. It feels like what beef ribs are to baby back ribs - overly large, if not massive. The arm is shorter than the Leofoto, but not by enough to be an issue unless you really needed that extra reach. I probably will not have time to try it out until this weekend, but I wanted to give a brief update.

And, Amazon got the better of me and I ordered a Vanguard tripod with the MACC column. It was selling for half of what it was being sold for everywhere else, so it was quite hard to pass up, especially since the price dropped again while I was deciding to buy it or not. I may end up keeping it for other uses depending on how it feels. It arrives tomorrow. And, Amazon raised the price back to the full amount after I ordered it, so I am not sure why I got lucky, but I am not going to complain.

--Ken
Very much looking forward to your comparisons Ken. Your luck was certainly in re Amazon and the Vanguards price.👍

The Vanguard arrived today. I'll give them a 9 for OOBE (Out of box experience). The box had pictures on all sides, as opposed to the Feisol which came in a brown box with a sticker on one side. The tripod comes with a bag and several accessories, but there appears to be some assembly of the head controls required (hence the 1 point deduction). It seems reasonably well constructed and the parts all move smoothly, but I did not get a chance to fully load it up and see how it felt. Sitting next to my Gitzo, it looks like a "mini me". It is not as compact as my Sirui travel tripod which I use with my m4/3rd's gear, and it is a bit heavy as it has aluminum legs, but despite the weight, it is somewhat compact. The unweighted arm slides nicely, but is nowhere as large as the Feisol. I am not really sure it will be up to the job of holding a full compliment of gear without a counter weight, but I'll know more in a few days.

--Ken

The Vanguard arrived today. I'll give them a 9 for OOBE (Out of box experience). The box had pictures on all sides, as opposed to the Feisol which came in a brown box with a sticker on one side. The tripod comes with a bag and several accessories, but there appears to be some assembly of the head controls required (hence the 1 point deduction). It seems reasonably well constructed and the parts all move smoothly, but I did not get a chance to fully load it up and see how it felt. Sitting next to my Gitzo, it looks like a "mini me". It is not as compact as my Sirui travel tripod which I use with my m4/3rd's gear, and it is a bit heavy as it has aluminum legs, but despite the weight, it is somewhat compact. The unweighted arm slides nicely, but is nowhere as large as the Feisol. I am not really sure it will be up to the job of holding a full compliment of gear without a counter weight, but I'll know more in a few days.

--Ken
OK Ken, you have me hanging by my (fill in your version here) waiting for your comparisons. I have therefore booked a flight from Sydney to the States (and to your place) on Monday to be present at your comparo. Just kidding of course: look forward to your findings. Cheers Paul.

OK Ken, you have me hanging by my (fill in your version here) waiting for your comparisons. I have therefore booked a flight from Sydney to the States (and to your place) on Monday to be present at your comparo. Just kidding of course: look forward to your findings. Cheers Paul.
You would probably have faster results if you did. I had a huge, hot mess on my hands at work yesterday and some of it may spill into today, so I ask for patience. I am hoping between today and tomorrow to actually try and make a few images with the various pieces of equipment. I suspect that the Feisol will be the preferred gear for a full DSLR and large macro lens and the Vanguard may be acceptable for a lighter load or one where the arm is not extended much at all. And I am suspecting that a counter weight is going to be needed in most circumstances. If the Gitzo was low to the ground with the legs spread, then that might not be necessary.

Thanks for your patience,

--Ken

Okay, I made some time this afternoon to try and actually set up the equipment and make a photograph. What a novel concept! ;)

From the time I just spent, which I'll describe in more detail below, my tl;dr is that the Feisol VH60-HA is my preferred choice, and possibly the only one I would consider with a heavy payload.

Now to the details. I used my D500 w/o grip along with Nikon's 105 AF macro combined with a 2.0TC. The total weight of this set-up was 5lb. 13 oz. The camera plate was placed in a short nodal rail so I could adjust it better for balance and that rail sat in a NiSi macro rail for fine adjustments. All of this was mounted on my Markins Q20 ballhead. The arms were mounted on my Gitzo 3541LS tripod and the Vanguard had the Markins head added to its arm. Short of close-up lenses or extension tubes, this fills the frame with a pretty small area. I am not really sure I would use this set-up for most of my work, but it seemed like it would be close to maximum payload. I had a couple of fresh flowers in a bowl and worked indoors since some of this gear will be returned. Not the same as being in the garden, but it was good enough for a casual comparison. I also had a 4 lb. counter weight on the end of each arm.

The Feisol is big and heavy and that counts for a lot. It allows for smoother movement, and the duel lever that controls the raising and lowering of the arm was quite nice. The friction can easily be adjusted, and there were no teeth to contend with. It was just pure friction. The arm, while short, was not too hard to adjust with full payload. In all, I felt this was the best arrangement for this test.

The Leofoto arm, did not really cut it for me. It is not badly constructed, but it has two design flaws that I do not care for. First, the arm has a channel that sits atop a notch, which I presume it to stop rotation. I do not find that helpful, and it is quite "sticky" so the arm does not slide easily. Second, the teeth that control the raising and lowering of the arm are a hinderance when you need to make a fine adjustment. You adjust the arm and then go to lock it and the teeth pull it down so they are aligned. Huge issue when you need to make fine adjustments. It might be fine for casual use, but I did not care to deal with these flaws. It seemed to hold the payload just fine, like the Feisol, but that may be saying more about the Gitzo then the arm.

Lastly, there is the Vanguard. I removed the pan/tilt head that came with the legs and mounted the Markins head. This is a smaller tripod than my Gitzo, and made of aluminum, so it felt a bit like getting out of a four-door full size sedan and into a compact car. The arm slides easily, but the raising and lowering mechanism is somewhat akin to the Leofoto. Under load, there is a click sound, and you almost need to remove the load from the arm before raising or lowering it. I do not know if this is a safety feature, or if there are teeth like the Leofoto, but it is a bit annoying. And despite having the counter weight, I did not find the legs to be solid with the load. Is is not a setup that I would walk away from without worrying. I would like to try this setup with a lighter load to see how it functions and if it worth keeping for light duty general use. But it would not be my first choice just for macro work with a DSLR body and lens. The Vanguard, which is made in Myanmar, requires a small amount of assembly as the pan/tilt controls need to be inserted. No big deal, but there were so many parts wrapped in foam and plastic that repackaging it if I do return it is going to require a bit of creativity.

I am sure there were flaws in my trying out these arms today, but actually shooting with them with counter weights on the arms did not feel that much different than my initial impressions when I initially unboxed them, other than the whole rig felt more stable. I am sure there are circumstances where any of them might appear better or worse, but I just don't have the time to do that kind of testing. And I am sure that there are folks who can use any of these setups and get different results. Macro work is not something I do on any regular basis, so I am evaluating this equipment with limited experience in this type of shooting.

I hope this helps others who are looking at macro arm options.

--Ken

Okay, I made some time this afternoon to try and actually set up the equipment and make a photograph. What a novel concept! ;)

From the time I just spent, which I'll describe in more detail below, my tl;dr is that the Feisol VH60-HA is my preferred choice, and possibly the only one I would consider with a heavy payload.

Now to the details. I used my D500 w/o grip along with Nikon's 105 AF macro combined with a 2.0TC. The total weight of this set-up was 5lb. 13 oz. The camera plate was placed in a short nodal rail so I could adjust it better for balance and that rail sat in a NiSi macro rail for fine adjustments. All of this was mounted on my Markins Q20 ballhead. The arms were mounted on my Gitzo 3541LS tripod and the Vanguard had the Markins head added to its arm. Short of close-up lenses or extension tubes, this fills the frame with a pretty small area. I am not really sure I would use this set-up for most of my work, but it seemed like it would be close to maximum payload. I had a couple of fresh flowers in a bowl and worked indoors since some of this gear will be returned. Not the same as being in the garden, but it was good enough for a casual comparison. I also had a 4 lb. counter weight on the end of each arm.

The Feisol is big and heavy and that counts for a lot. It allows for smoother movement, and the duel lever that controls the raising and lowering of the arm was quite nice. The friction can easily be adjusted, and there were no teeth to contend with. It was just pure friction. The arm, while short, was not too hard to adjust with full payload. In all, I felt this was the best arrangement for this test.

The Leofoto arm, did not really cut it for me. It is not badly constructed, but it has two design flaws that I do not care for. First, the arm has a channel that sits atop a notch, which I presume it to stop rotation. I do not find that helpful, and it is quite "sticky" so the arm does not slide easily. Second, the teeth that control the raising and lowering of the arm are a hinderance when you need to make a fine adjustment. You adjust the arm and then go to lock it and the teeth pull it down so they are aligned. Huge issue when you need to make fine adjustments. It might be fine for casual use, but I did not care to deal with these flaws. It seemed to hold the payload just fine, like the Feisol, but that may be saying more about the Gitzo then the arm.

Lastly, there is the Vanguard. I removed the pan/tilt head that came with the legs and mounted the Markins head. This is a smaller tripod than my Gitzo, and made of aluminum, so it felt a bit like getting out of a four-door full size sedan and into a compact car. The arm slides easily, but the raising and lowering mechanism is somewhat akin to the Leofoto. Under load, there is a click sound, and you almost need to remove the load from the arm before raising or lowering it. I do not know if this is a safety feature, or if there are teeth like the Leofoto, but it is a bit annoying. And despite having the counter weight, I did not find the legs to be solid with the load. Is is not a setup that I would walk away from without worrying. I would like to try this setup with a lighter load to see how it functions and if it worth keeping for light duty general use. But it would not be my first choice just for macro work with a DSLR body and lens. The Vanguard, which is made in Myanmar, requires a small amount of assembly as the pan/tilt controls need to be inserted. No big deal, but there were so many parts wrapped in foam and plastic that repackaging it if I do return it is going to require a bit of creativity.

I am sure there were flaws in my trying out these arms today, but actually shooting with them with counter weights on the arms did not feel that much different than my initial impressions when I initially unboxed them, other than the whole rig felt more stable. I am sure there are circumstances where any of them might appear better or worse, but I just don't have the time to do that kind of testing. And I am sure that there are folks who can use any of these setups and get different results. Macro work is not something I do on any regular basis, so I am evaluating this equipment with limited experience in this type of shooting.

I hope this helps others who are looking at macro arm options.

--Ken
Muchas Gracias Ken. Very helpful review and insight to the three options. I have an acquaintance who if memory serves me correctly has the Feisol set up so I will get in touch with him and ask if he is happy to loan it to me for a weekend try out.

I have also found a Vanguard outlet in Sydney so will also contact them and see what I can arrange re a try out of the pod.

Like you macro photography is a very small part of what I photograph so I am a little hesitant to purchase gear that might find its way into my storage cupboard for most of its life. Still: I also suffer from that terrible photographers illness “GAS” much to my wife’s chagrin.

Will keep you informed.

Thanks again Paul.

Muchas Gracias Ken. Very helpful review and insight to the three options. I have an acquaintance who if memory serves me correctly has the Feisol set up so I will get in touch with him and ask if he is happy to loan it to me for a weekend try out.

I have also found a Vanguard outlet in Sydney so will also contact them and see what I can arrange re a try out of the pod.

Like you macro photography is a very small part of what I photograph so I am a little hesitant to purchase gear that might find its way into my storage cupboard for most of its life. Still: I also suffer from that terrible photographers illness “GAS” much to my wife’s chagrin.

Will keep you informed.

Thanks again Paul.
Your welcome, Paul. It is not often that I go down the gear rabbit hole and actually buy more than one item, but that's just how this evolved, so we might as well as learn from it. Two quick updates. I played around again with the Vanguard and my Olympus body w/macro last night for a few. I need to contact Vanguard, but I believe that their arm has the same issue as the Leofoto. I had it loaded up (with a light load of just the rail, body and lens) and had challenges when I tried to adjust the arm height. Like the Leofoto, it feels like there are teeth that need to mesh before the arm will lock into place. This means that the arm may move up or down from the desired position when trying to lock it into place. Not something I could put up with, so it is not a setup I would use unless Vanguard can help me resolve this issue.

Today we had some reasonable weather so I took my Gitzo and Feisol arm outside to do some actual shooting in my wife's garden with the Olympus. It pretty much worked as expected, and I like how it operates. I am still adjusting from handlheld closeup shots to working closer to 1:1 on a tripod and both visualizing and setting up shots requires a bit of "seeing what the camera sees". Handheld I can quickly move around to frame the shot. Not so easy with the tripod, but the Feisol arm makes it much easier. I can loosen the tension just enough at all of the movement points so I can guide the arm/camera to what I want to photograph. Then I can use the rail and focus on the lens to fine tune. I really like this approach since I can scan an area for possible shots. The one thing that I did not count on needing was a good stool. I have a bad back and this work required a lot of bending over for long periods.

Even if I end up using the Oly body/lens more than the Nikon, I will still keep the Feisol for the ability to easily adjust the tension at all control points. I do not know if the smaller 28mm arm functions as well as the 37mm one, offering a $50USD savings, but I am happy. Now I need to start learning how to find and set up shots just a bit faster. I do not mind slowing down from shooting handheld, but I would like to be a bit more efficient. But, I do have to say that slowing down and having to set up everything did get my mind off of a lot of things, so that may be an added bonus for me.

Good luck,

--Ken

The weather was nice today and my wife encouraged me to get out in the garden and enjoy a bit of sunshine. so, out went the new Feisol arm on my Gitzo with an E-M1 MKii and a 60mm macro lens. I am still having to relearn how to compose on the tripod and at such small scale, but I thought I would share the following. There are not my best work, but considering I have only been able to get out a few times, I am happy with them. It is still so tempting to just take the camera off of the ballhead and shoot handheld like I have always done in the past, but I am hoping this new approach will pay off when I get more comfortable. So, one dried rose hip that looked like a jellyfish, two crocus blooms and a daffodil.

--Ken

P3060255_DER.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

P3060258_DER.jpg

P3060259_DER.jpg

P3060275_DER.jpg

Last edited:
Nice shots Ken. I don’t think it will take you long to get the hang of your new setup.
It is so different than photographing BIF or even handheld flower shots. I like it because it fully engages my brain, and I hate it because it is so much slower than working handheld. But, I am trying to see things differently to take advantage of what it offers, and I really like how easy it is to move the arm around while I look at the rear screen on the camera. Ironically, I will probably shoot more with the Olympus than the Nikon bodies because of the tilt out screen, at least until I get better at seeing shots. The Feisol was not cheap, but so far I am happy with it.

--Ken

I hate it because it is so much slower than working handheld.

Some people will see that as a real advantage. One of the respected tutors here in the UK will find the shot hand held and explore many different angles, viewpoints and camera heights but will often bring the tripod in to take the shot He says that is easier when waiting for the right light. Composition is the most important thing in some genres and many just don't take the time to get the composition and angle or take more that one shot of what is in front of them.

Some people will see that as a real advantage. One of the respected tutors here in the UK will find the shot hand held and explore many different angles, viewpoints and camera heights but will often bring the tripod in to take the shot He says that is easier when waiting for the right light. Composition is the most important thing in some genres and many just don't take the time to get the composition and angle or take more that one shot of what is in front of them.
I can see advantages to both methods. If I am shooting hand held, then I can easily take a variety of shots depending on what I see. With a tripod, I spend more time evaluating what I see and know that I have the ability to better control the light, and can take images with slow shutter speeds, two things that are not as easy to do hand held. I did a lot of "grip 'n grin" shots for years, as well as college football for a few years, so I am used to working quickly and waiting for the next thing to happen. It is different to move slowly and look for opportunities on a small scale, but I do enjoy the slower pace and the time in the garden while my wife is out there working. I am not sure I would fully trade one for the other, but it is good to push myself to try out new techniques, and I do like photographing flowers.

--Ken

Back