Hornets and Hornet Nest

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Andrew Lamberson

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hornets are a BIG problem this time of year in southern Minnesota. They can be aggressive little buggers! I had a big nest on the north side of my house, under the eves and I asked my next-door neighbor to spray it because I've was in the hospital all last week with a knee injury that led to an infection in my leg. Luckily, I came home Friday night with everything still attached.

He knocked it down off the house, and since I am under Doctor's order to move around as much a possible it was the perfect opportunity to capture some images that most of us never see.

A Hornet taking a drink on my deck rail.
eye 2 eye-9138.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The outer skin of the nest. It was a HUGE nest!

Hornet Nest-1.jpg

Some impressive construction on the inside.

Hornet Nest inside-1.jpg

Closeup of the Larve inside the nest. A few were still alive like this one.

Hornet Larve closeup-1.jpg

Thanks,
My daughter came down to help nurse me and was nice enough to put it on the back porch so I could get some shots.

Last edited:
Thanks,
My daughter came down to help nurse me and was nice enough to put in on the back porch so I could get some shots.
I had an upper tibial stress fracture in April, took about 7 weeks to resolve.
I was pretty well limited to shooting inn the backyard.
It was surprising how much steadier I was shooting with a straight knee immobilizer.

Excellent photographs. Hope you didn't get stung, but a macro of the stinger in skin would be an interesting photograph. I took one of a common house mosquito having a meal at my expense, but getting stung would be at another level of taking one for the team.

Back