HOT card reader concern

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Charles Loy

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Last December B-H ran a Delkin promotion, including a 325gig card and reader kit. I bought two.

The reader is perfect on my PC, but get HOT - seriously hot, when used on my laptop unit. I switched them and same happened. In the past, the other readers did not and still do not get hot.

I guess I am just sharing this, but it is a concern as I have not had a reader get more than slight hot. Thanks for reading, chime in if you have a suggestion. Will using it for long periods kill reader or the card?

The reader is a 3.2 gen 2 reader, I’m wondering if the port speed is different on the laptop and desktop. You might compare read write speeds using something like Crystal Disk Mark.

Last December B-H ran a Delkin promotion, including a 325gig card and reader kit. I bought two.

The reader is perfect on my PC, but get HOT - seriously hot, when used on my laptop unit. I switched them and same happened. In the past, the other readers did not and still do not get hot.

I guess I am just sharing this, but it is a concern as I have not had a reader get more than slight hot. Thanks for reading, chime in if you have a suggestion. Will using it for long periods kill reader or the card?

Charles, I have the same reader, it gets HOT, however I have not seen any problems so far; also, I would leave the reader on laptop cooling pads.

Oliver

I have the same reader so I tested it with my Windows desktop PC and laptop. I copied about 100GB onto the card and then back off the card, the temperature of the reader got to about 90 degrees Fahrenheit, so it was warm but not hot. I have had card readers that get hot but the Delkin Devices reader does not for me. I don't leave a card in the reader and connected to my computer for very long, my process is to copy the images onto a scratch drive on my PC and then cull and import from the scratch drive. I might try culling directly off the card next time to see if that makes a difference.

I don't leave a card in the reader and connected to my computer for very long, my process is to copy the images onto a scratch drive on my PC and then cull and import from the scratch drive. I might try culling directly off the card next time to see if that makes a difference.
Good point, thanks. I cull and clean in NXStudio from the reader and only place the keepers on my computer. Your way the reader is not used near as long as mine. Odd that the Delkin gets hot only when used on my laptop, as I have a couple other readers that don't.

Last edited:
Back