How do I submit photos here?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

CharlieR

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I want to submit some wildlife photos with my new R5--but I keep getting the message the files are too large for the server. They're anywhere from 4-5 MP jpeg images.

I want to submit some wildlife photos with my new R5--but I keep getting the message the files are too large for the server. They're anywhere from 4-5 MP jpeg images.
Files have to be downsized in pixel dimensions, ideally no larger than 1200x800 pixels and the total file size of the saved jpegs must be no larger than 1 MB.

Lot's of software out there that can do that resizing. Do you use Photoshop, Lightroom or some other photo processing software? If so, folks can walk you through the steps of resizing for web posts here. If you don't use a photo post processing tool there are free tools out there that can be used for resizing.

Here's a couple of posts on photo sizing for the forum that might help:

Files have to be downsized in pixel dimensions, ideally no larger than 1200x800 pixels and the total file size of the saved jpegs must be no larger than 1 MB.

Lot's of software out there that can do that resizing. Do you use Photoshop, Lightroom or some other photo processing software? If so, folks can walk you through the steps of resizing for web posts here. If you don't use a photo post processing tool there are free tools out there that can be used for resizing.

Here's a couple of posts on photo sizing for the forum that might help:

Thank you very much--I do use LrC, but I'll take a look at the two posts you gave me!

Thank you very much--I do use LrC, but I'll take a look at the two posts you gave me!
That second post offers a nice preset @Steve put together for resizing images but in a nutshell:

- Use the Export dialog to export images you want to post and save them somewhere like in a BCG Postings folder
- Make sure the image is saved as a jpeg
- Click on the resize option in the Export dialog and enter 1200 pixels for maximum horizontal dimension and 800 pixels for maximum vertical height (FWIW I often resize to no larger than 700 vertically which helps folks on laptops see images without a lot of scrolling or having to zoom out their browsers)
- Make sure save as sRGB is set in the Export dialog box

Those are the basic steps to getting an image saved that the forum can accept. There's also a box you can check to limit the maximum file size to less than 1MB but realistically if you limit your images to a 1200x800 (or 1200x700) jpeg they should be well under the 1MB limit.

Once you have the images saved somewhere you can find them you can use CTRL-P (Cmd-P on a Mac) to insert them into any forum post you're writing and then just browse to the saved location and include the image in your post. You can also copy and paste images into your posts. One note, after getting the image in you'll see option buttons below your posting edit window to include a Thumbnail or Full Size Image. No need to click those as it will just include a second image into your post.

Last edited:
Back