How do you handle weight limit for carry-on on commercial flights within Africa

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was thinking since the bag would not be much larger than a large beverage, which is allowed to be carried on, it may not be considered a "bag" or "personal item." It doesn't seem much different than putting in the pocket of a vest, which some have reported works. Another possibility would be to attach it to the outside of the carry-on camera bag. In that case it might not be counted toward the size restriction, although it would be counted toward the weight restriction.
It depends on the person at the gate, but in general the answer is No. I once had a United person tell me my small fanny pack around my waist was a 3rd item and I would have to remove it and put it and the contents into either my backpack or the computer bag! She turned her back to continue checking tickets during loading. I walked onto the plane.

Sometimes you can carry a camera and lens around your neck.....but then you have the camera swinging around as you juggle the other pieces of carry on.

Less risk by following the rules. They typically do not weigh carry ons. One carryon should go in the overhead and the other under the seat in front of you.

Wasn’t it Hudson Henry that said he contacted the airlines ahead of travel to pay extra for his heavier carry on? I didn’t know you could do that, nor have I tried.

I am going on a 3 week photo safari in October. I've got all my equipment and just bought the Gura Gear Kiboko 30L that Steve raved about. Loaded it weighs close to 30 #s. I have one flight on FastJet from Victoria Falls to Johannesburg. Carry-on is limited to 1 bag weighing no more than 7kg or 15.4 pounds. How do you handle that? I've taken everything out of my bag except lenses, cameras and iPad without the case. I'll put batteries, wallet, memory cards, etc, in my pockets and everything else in checked bag. It still weighs over 20 pounds. Any suggestions other than eliminating a camera and lens?
I split my gear between two carry-on bags, one for my wife, one for me. Think Tank glass limo for 400f2.8 & d850, and Think Tank Street walker pro for everything else. This satisfies weight and dimensional limitations. Many things not subject to damage are in my checked bag. Used this method first on India trip due to restrictive Indian airlines, worked so well, used it ever since.

I am leaving soon for an international trip. I use a Think Tank Airport Accelerator backpack and a large computer bag.

Between the two carryon bags and a photo vest, I carry :

600mm f4 + hood
z100-400 + hood
105 macro + hood
1.4 and 2x teles
2 large camera bodies
computer
2 portable SSD HDs
Camera charger, spare batteries
USB hub
Numerous cards
Meds

Tripod, gimbal, and lots of other stuff goes in the checked bag. I will do laundry during the trip......not much room for clothes and they are not as important as gear! LOL!

After encountering unexpected problems I have learned to investigate before booking a trip, what airline problems I may encounter. For example I had to use PennAir in Allaska which was one of the worst airlines anywhere, to fly to Kodiak island. I learned that American flew to Kodiak from Anchorage but not on the day for my arrival before getting on a boat I chartered. I should have flown with American and arrived a day earlier and avoided the problem. On aother flight with PennAir returning from King Salmon to Anchorage our checked luggage was taken off the plane to allow more crates of salmon to be loaded. We had to spend the night in Anchorage and make a special trip to the airport the next day to pickup our luggage.

I have only been weighed along with my carryon bags three times, once flying from Guam to Fiji, flying from King Salmon to Brooks, and flying from Fiji's main island to an outlying one. Most of the time I have had no issues with the gear I carry onto an airplane. I put my 32L backpack on my back when boarding and carry a 18L backpack in one hand and my tripod in the other hand. My 18L fits under the seat in front of me and qualifies as a "personal item". The 32L and a folding cart go inside the overhead bin and my tripod goes in as well and fits crosswise. The 18L holds my heavy items, including my batteries, which makes the 32L about 12 lbs lighter and there is a good deal of difference hauling a 37 lb backpack as compared to a 25 lb one on a trip.

When I knew I was having gear closely scrutinize I have used a Domke photographer's jacket and I have put two cameras, two lense, a speedlight, magazines, and snacks in the jacket's pockets. When I get on the plane the jacket with its contents fits in places in the overhead bin where a rigid bag would not.

Second best option with a primary bag is to gate check it so it does not get mangled or gear stolen by TSA personnel or by baggage handlers.

It still pays overall to arrive 2-3 days before a departure on a tour or guided trip to allow for airline problems. This can also provide more options as to which airline you can use and which airports are options. I also check the ontime departures as certain flights are notorious for being late by hours (and miss a tranfer at a hub airport) or for cancelling flights. It also pays to get at least a premium coach ticket that provides for earlier boarding of the plane while there is still overhead bin space available.

Joe43 is right. I have three of the Scottevests. They're like a wearable briefcase. At airline check-in I've just put the vest in one of the bins to go through the line. Good luck to Windy on the safari, and Merry Christmas!

Don't forget that the weight limits are not arbitrary but rather relate to the total weight limit of the airplane in order for it to take-off and fly safely. Whether you have 30 lbs in a carry-on or split between a coat and carry-on doesn't matter. It still adds weight to the plane and, if enough people do it, could affect safety.
Weight limits are absolutely a safety issue with airplanes. But until they start weighing passengers individually I have to believe that they build in a decent safety margin so as not to be too seriously impacted by the odd 5 or 10 kg overweight of the occasional passenger.

I am going on a 3 week photo safari in October. I've got all my equipment and just bought the Gura Gear Kiboko 30L that Steve raved about. Loaded it weighs close to 30 #s. I have one flight on FastJet from Victoria Falls to Johannesburg. Carry-on is limited to 1 bag weighing no more than 7kg or 15.4 pounds. How do you handle that? I've taken everything out of my bag except lenses, cameras and iPad without the case. I'll put batteries, wallet, memory cards, etc, in my pockets and everything else in checked bag. It still weighs over 20 pounds. Any suggestions other than eliminating a camera and lens?
buy an extra seat. That will give you an extra 80 KG or so. Split the extra weight and cost with travel companions. Or better yet as @Butlerkid suggests, have the tour organizer do it.

Back