How does extreme cold effect camera?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Not sure we read the same article. Thought so but your comments don't mesh up with what I read.

But, no, your expectations are not reasonable. It's not reasonable for Nikon or anybody else to subvert the laws of physics. When batteries get cold they stop working. When LCDs get cold, they stop working. When my hands get cold, they stop working.

NOT just an opinion.
Bigger batteries are less effected by cold...🦘

Reactions: O
Although I've only experienced cold weather overseas - The battery suffers the most in very cold weather.
Keep spare in you warm pocket and swap them over occasionally.
My old F3 had a battery extension that powered the camera from your pocket - maybe someone should bring that back... 🦘
Wouldn’t using an external power supply (like an Anker Power Bank) in your pocket connected to camera via USB power deliver accomplish this?

Reactions: O
Not sure we read the same article. Thought so but your comments don't mesh up with what I read.

But, no, your expectations are not reasonable. It's not reasonable for Nikon or anybody else to subvert the laws of physics. When batteries get cold they stop working. When LCDs get cold, they stop working. When my hands get cold, they stop working.

NOT just an opinion.
Your Point is taken, I thank you, its not about batteries necessarily, its about dealing with humidity, moisture, condensation, and yes cold, Thom refers to the OM system that worked well hence he used it.

Reactions: Roy

NOT just an opinion.
Please see amendment in the previous post re the missing element for some reason didn't copy.

Is that 10 degbelow freezing ???
Much, much colder than 10 degrees below freezing. Freezing occurs at 0 deg C or 32 deg F. When I was in the Wapusk National Park, they also said it was -40 deg though it was never clear to me whether they meant C or F or with or without the windchill factor or how they even knew the temperature (never saw a thermometer). All I knew was that some people had gotten frostbite on this trip so one had to be super careful. At the time I went, I had a D7100. I was amazed how well it did. The first day I did tape some hand warmers to the back of the camera which sat outside in the cold waiting for the polar bears to come out of their den for about 6 hours (the front of my lens hood was completely frosted up by the end of the day). However realized I didn't need these hand warmers and they blocked my view of the LCD. So stopped using them and if the battery got low, replaced with a spare that I had inside my inner layer. Not sure how well my Z9 would do but probably better than me these days. Glad I went but not sure I would go back. One of the many photos I took there:
[ ]
[
]

Last edited:
Much, much colder than 10 degrees below freezing. Freezing occurs at 0 deg C or 32 deg F. When I was in the Wapusk National Park, they also said it was -40 deg though it was never clear to me whether they meant C or F or with or without the windchill factor or how they even knew the temperature (never saw a thermometer). All I knew was that some people had gotten frostbite on this trip so one had to be super careful. At the time I went, I had a D7100. I was amazed how well it did. The first day I did tape some hand warmers to the back of the camera which sat outside in the cold waiting for the polar bears to come out of their den for about 6 hours (the front of my lens hood was completely frosted up by the end of the day). However realized I didn't need these hand warmers and they blocked my view of the LCD. So stopped using them and if the battery got low, replaced with a spare that I had inside my inner layer. Not sure how well my Z9 would do but probably better than me these days. Glad I went but not sure I would go back. One of the many photos I took there:
[ ]
[
]
Stunning, what a great experience. A beauitiflly telling story to watch, loved it.
You took the video ? may i ask what camera and lens ?

Stunning, what a great experience. A beauitiflly telling story to watch, loved it.
You took the video ? may i ask what camera and lens ?
Thanks for your kind comments. Yes I took all the video. This was almost 9 years ago, and was using a Nikon D7100 and 500mm f/4 lens for all the polar bear shots. I also used a Tokina 11-16mm lens on this camera for closer subjects as well as the aurora plus sometimes used the Sony RX100 in some of the close video (on the dog sled and for the train portions). The Wat'chee Lodge is run by the Spencer brothers and is an amazing place where one can see the polar bear moms and their cubs leave the den for the first time. Definitely a place worth going to if you don't mind "roughing" it (no running water, bunk beds, etc).
[ ]

Thanks for your kind comments. Yes I took all the video. This was almost 9 years ago, and was using a Nikon D7100 and 500mm f/4 lens for all the polar bear shots. I also used a Tokina 11-16mm lens on this camera for closer subjects as well as the aurora plus sometimes used the Sony RX100 in some of the close video (on the dog sled and for the train portions). The Wat'chee Lodge is run by the Spencer brothers and is an amazing place where one can see the polar bear moms and their cubs leave the den for the first time. Definitely a place worth going to if you don't mind "roughing" it (no running water, bunk beds, etc).
[ ]
Excellent, the photos clearly are wonderful and interestingly enough to make you not even think about the gear LOL, you don't need high end gear to make wonderful memories.

Such great enjoyment had and shared.

Thank you.

Back