How fast can Nikon Z8 repair be?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I tell you the situation to see if someone can help me?
I own a Nikon Z8. Of the first batch! Thanks to the folks at Pictureline (SLC).
My Z8 is affected by the 2 Nikon recalls.
I am not a US resident. I live in a small country in South America, Uruguay. It is not feasible to ship my camera from my country to USA for repair.
Next year I will be in Los Angeles for a few days, coming back from Alaska. My itinerary only allows me to coincide 1 working day (Friday) with the working hours of Signal Hill Nikon Service.
What do you guys think... Is it possible for Nikon to repair my Z8 mount and lug on the day?
Thanks in advance for your input!
Be well!

They might be persuaded to expedite the work for an extra charge, but in and out in one day is asking for a lot. And, if they don't have the parts on hand forget about it.
The only repairs I need done are the two recalls.... Supposedly, there are no parts involved? Some bolt and some Loctite.
That's why I was asking if anyone had gotten the adjustments on those two recalls done on the day.

If you contact the shop directly and explain your situation they may be willing to work it out with you. No question that it's possible to do the work that quickly. The question is whether the office/shop can coordinate getting it done. Based on all of the dealings I've had with Nikon I'd be very surprised if you pull it off. But it's certainly worth a try.

La pregunta más importante es si es una cámara vendida por Nikon USA. Creo que podrían rechazar la reparación de la retirada y remitirlo a la subsidiaria de la que obtuvo la cámara.
It is a NIKON USA camera, purchased from an official dealer in the USA, with USA warranty. Pictureline, Salt Lake City. It is not gray market.

The work can be done quickly according to Thom Hogan's comments. Also in my experience. I had to send my Z8 in 2 times. Once for the lens mount and once for the lugs. In each case, the camera was received by Nikon on day one and shipped back to me on day two (for example, received on Monday and shipped back to me on Tuesday). The longer wait was shipping in both directions (which you would not have) and waiting to get the email from Nikon to authorize sending the camera in. So as Dan suggests above, it would be good to contact Nikon ahead of time to arrange for the repairs.

OP, I understand that you will be in Alaska. How long? Of course you want to use your Z8 while there. Think about Plan B, since more than unlikely that Nikon will do what you want in 1 day. And, even if they say they 'can', there is no guaranty. Stuff happens and you can be sure something will prevent them from being able to turnaround the repair in 1 day.
Plan B...rent a camera for Alaska and have Nikon do the service for your pickup in LA. Arrange to ship the camera to Nikon when you arrive US. Do this with Nikon for expedited service. While not your preference..it is your solution since you will be in the US.

Contact the Signal Hill service center, and make sure it's with a manager. Tell them what you want and if they agree to do so, have them e-mail you a confirmation. Print the message and take it with you on your trip. Does Nikon have a repair center anywhere in South America? Or regional offices, you might contact them to provide assistance in your quest.

If they don't agree to do this, ask why they won't. If they say it's anything other than just not possible to physically do it in such a short time, ask to speak to a higher level manager about it and plead your case to them.

Your guaranteed outcome if you don't ask is that they won't do it.

OP, I understand that you will be in Alaska. How long? Of course you want to use your Z8 while there. Think about Plan B, since more than unlikely that Nikon will do what you want in 1 day. And, even if they say they 'can', there is no guaranty. Stuff happens and you can be sure something will prevent them from being able to turnaround the repair in 1 day.
Plan B...rent a camera for Alaska and have Nikon do the service for your pickup in LA. Arrange to ship the camera to Nikon when you arrive US. Do this with Nikon for expedited service. While not your preference..it is your solution since you will be in the US.
This is a possible solution. Though it wouldn't be innexpensive. Here's a link to the local camera shop in Anchorage, Stewart's Photo . They rent the Z8 for $42/day.

I am not a US resident. I live in a small country in South America, Uruguay. It is not feasible to ship my camera from my country to USA for repair.
Next year I will be in Los Angeles for a few days, coming back from Alaska. My itinerary only allows me to coincide 1 working day (Friday) with the working hours of Signal Hill Nikon Service.
What do you guys think... Is it possible for Nikon to repair my Z8 mount and lug on the day?
Be well!
Okie dokie…..I read about the Z8 recall online several months ago just like other worried owners. I went to Nikon’s site and entered the ser# of my camera. A message came back that I needed to send it to a Nikon repair facility. I was also directed to get the authorization number and follow additional online instructions. I did some further online research and found the recall affected ser#’s 2002516-2009146….6630 units..🤔. All of these Z8s were assembled on one known assembly line. This was below my serial number so why is my Z8 being recalled??? I called my primary dealer in Warrenton, Virginia and asked her ”what the heck is going on?” . She talked to her Nikon rep. He said he got the notice also but wasn’t going to send it back because he wasn’t having any issues. I wasn’t having any issues with my Z8 either so why am I being told to send it back…… In short, Nikon wanted to cover their 🫏…..! Okay, I get that.. So I asked her to nail down the reason for the recall… Turns out some longer lenses would not lock properly in the Z8’s mount… therefore the communication between the Z8 and lens malfunctioned… that’s two issues..🤔 the Nikon rep was not having problem’s with his…..I’m not having any issues with mine (knock on wood)… I did not send in back

More for thought...
I am located 30 minutes from Nikon's USA headquarters and service center in Melville, NY. I brought my Z8 in for the 1st recall and dropped it off for pick up when completed. A Nikon NPS member had arrived earlier and was waiting for their Z8 to be completed. I did not ask if I could wait.
When I brought it in for the 2nd recall, the same person was picking up their Z8--he didn't wait for this one.
Nikon Melville has service teams in the building so nothing needs to be sent out for service or requests for parts.
Check with Nikon-Signal Hill only, if they will allow you to wait for your camera. And ask them if they have all the parts that could be required for both fixes.
This is the only way I would attempt to do this in one day.

Contact the Signal Hill service center, and make sure it's with a manager. Tell them what you want and if they agree to do so, have them e-mail you a confirmation. Print the message and take it with you on your trip. Does Nikon have a repair center anywhere in South America? Or regional offices, you might contact them to provide assistance in your quest.

If they don't agree to do this, ask why they won't. If they say it's anything other than just not possible to physically do it in such a short time, ask to speak to a higher level manager about it and plead your case to them.

Your guaranteed outcome if you don't ask is that they won't do it.
Yes. I will do that.

Okie dokie…..I read about the Z8 recall online several months ago just like other worried owners. I went to Nikon’s site and entered the ser# of my camera. A message came back that I needed to send it to a Nikon repair facility. I was also directed to get the authorization number and follow additional online instructions. I did some further online research and found the recall affected ser#’s 2002516-2009146….6630 units... All of these Z8s were assembled on one known assembly line. This was below my serial number so why is my Z8 being recalled??? I called my primary dealer in Warrenton, Virginia and asked her ”what the heck is going on?” . She talked to her Nikon rep. He said he got the notice also but wasn’t going to send it back because he wasn’t having any issues. I wasn’t having any issues with my Z8 either so why am I being told to send it back…… In short, Nikon wanted to cover their 🫏…..! Okay, I get that.. So I asked her to nail down the reason for the recall… Turns out some longer lenses would not lock properly in the Z8’s mount… therefore the communication between the Z8 and lens malfunctioned… that’s two issues.. the Nikon rep was not having problem’s with his…..I’m not having any issues with mine (knock on wood)… I did not send in back🤔🤔
I have not had any problems with any lens. I don't have many Z's, yet. I use a SmallRig cage, so I'm not worried about my lug coming loose either.
I just want to take advantage of being in the USA to get the repairs done. I love that country, have been at least 9 times in the last ten years, but my wife wants our travels to go to other destinations. So it's likely to be the last trip there for at least the next few years.
If I ever want to sell the camera I would be interested in having these issues resolved.

Be well!
If your camera has no tangible current issues related to the cause for recalls, then its likely it will be a quick look over check the serial number and your on your way, for this i would call Nikon and explain your position and ask if you can drop in and wait for it, given that, their customer service should work in with you easily, i mean its not a big ask, most likely you will need to get past the front desk, ask for the customer service coordinator and make a special request before hand. What will dictate the outcome will be their current work load and position.
If your camera is a suspect unit and parts are needed the consequences and decisions will play out from there.

Again if you are not experiencing issues currently its highly likely its all doable, give it a shot.

OR if the worst happens DHL operates a service USA to Uruguay, $25 USD is a rough shipping cost, if the goods are marked personal item second hand for repair duty issues shouldn't apply, DHL usually handles it all anyway, and if you live in a remote area in Uruguay you can arrange to collect the camera from DHL or its agent, I ship stuff all around the world and some very challenging places even to some Arab gulf regions, DHL just makes it happen for me.

Hope it helps

Only an opinion

If your camera has no tangible current issues related to the cause for recalls, then its likely it will be a quick look over check the serial number and your on your way, for this i would call Nikon and explain your position and ask if you can drop in and wait for it, given that, their customer service should work in with you easily, i mean its not a big ask, most likely you will need to get past the front desk, ask for the customer service coordinator and make a special request before hand. What will dictate the outcome will be their current work load and position.
If your camera is a suspect unit and parts are needed the consequences and decisions will play out from there.

Again if you are not experiencing issues currently its highly likely its all doable, give it a shot.

OR if the worst happens DHL operates a service USA to Uruguay, $25 USD is a rough shipping cost, if the goods are marked personal item second hand for repair duty issues shouldn't apply, DHL usually handles it all anyway, and if you live in a remote area in Uruguay you can arrange to collect the camera from DHL or its agent, I ship stuff all around the world and some very challenging places even to some Arab gulf regions, DHL just makes it happen for me.

Hope it helps

Only an opinion
I have finally adjusted the itinerary to spend 2 full days in LA.
A few weeks before I will contact Nikon, explain my situation and hopefully they will be receptive.
I have seen on Google Maps reviews from Nikon Signal Hill users that they have solved the Z8 recalls issue for him within the day.
I hope to have that same luck.
The possibility of dropping it off and then receiving it via DHL, I'm ruling it out. DHL is excellent, I have dealt with them several times, but the bureaucracy of customs in my country is unbearably unpredictable, and they can hold my camera for any reason.

A few weeks before I will contact Nikon, explain my situation and hopefully they will be receptive.
I have seen on Google Maps reviews from Nikon Signal Hill users that they have solved the Z8 recalls issue for him within the day.
The possibility of dropping it off and then receiving it via DHL, I'm ruling it out. DHL is excellent, I have dealt with them several times, but the bureaucracy of customs in my country is unbearably unpredictable, and they can hold my camera for any reason.
As suspected i completely understand, yes given early communication i am certain Nikon will accommodate you happily, i find here in OZ Nikon is brilliant with their service and support.

Only an opinion

Call them as soon as possible. Get your camera booked in. If you wait until a few weeks to go, you might not get a repair slot!

Back