How many images do you take in a normal outing?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

How many images do you normally take in a single outing?

• 0-100

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • 100-250

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 250-500

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • 1000 and above

Votes: 21 23.6%

• Total voters

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I am pretty conservative with how many images I take most of the time. Usually I will go out for 2-3 hours early morning and most of the time come home with 200-600 images that I normally cull thru roughly right away after loading into Lightroom. I think the most I’ve ever taken in a single outing was a little over 2000 and that was mostly due to doing numerous photo stacking shots for macro. To me it’s just overwhelming coming home with so many images to cull. I normally delete everything I don’t edit but keep the raw file for the edit and the edited tiff so I am definitely heavy handed with deleting. I’m just curious if most folks are in the same boat or shoot far more images when out.

I don't seek out birds, but I imagine they are the card-fillers. For other scenes of nature, if the light isn't changing much then one "scene" might have a hundred shots. Different amounts of zoom, different angles, different distance from subject. I'm confident enough in exposure I don't need bracketing unless I'm going for an hdr. Shooting panorama would have more. But then I walk 100 feet down a trail and something else catches my eye, so another 100. So a 2-3 hour hike could have 1000 shots, of which ten might be seriously edited and one or two might make it to show others.
Do you normally cull pretty heavy or keep lots of extras? I normally just keep the ones I edit as well as their raw original file.

With my D850 / D500 combination I was fairly consistent between 500 and 700 an outing. Then I got a Z9, up'd the frame rate and got closer to 1000 / outing. I've landed at 12fps most of the time, but will up it in certain situations. Now I'm back to 500 to 700 during an outing.

I'm usually between 700-800 is seems for a typical outing. If I'm in a really great location on a good morning or evening, just pop a "1" or "2" (or sometimes even a "3") in front of those numbers. Usually, only a handful of shots that I want to keep though - often, I'm shooting a scene and there are multiple poses and I just pick the one I like best.

Do you normally cull pretty heavy or keep lots of extras? I normally just keep the ones I edit as well as their raw original file.
With WL, usually do a three stage cull. First pass includes deleting all of the oof, obstructed, and poor shots. Next pass, I delete based most on best shot though I sometimes keep adjacent or similar images in case I need to clone wingtips, eyes, etc. Third cull occurs after edits.

I'm very bad at keeping organized and often don't want to bother throwing stuff away, rather I just cherry pick those few that spark my imagination and end up eventual archiving a bunch of stuff I'll never look at again. But I know where to find it, maybe, if I did have a use.

With my D850 / D500 combination I was fairly consistent between 500 and 700 an outing. Then I got a Z9, up'd the frame rate and got closer to 1000 / outing. I've landed at 12fps most of the time, but will up it in certain situations. Now I'm back to 500 to 700 during an outing.
Yeah for me 12-15FPS is about perfect

With WL, usually do a three stage cull. First pass includes deleting all of the oof, obstructed, and poor shots. Next pass, I delete based most on best shot though I sometimes keep adjacent or similar images in case I need to clone wingtips, eyes, etc. Third cull occurs after edits.
Thats pretty much the same as I do.

It depends on the situation and on the camera. If a subject is not in motion then I do not see much to be gained by shooting a burst of shots at 20 fps. As cameras' autofocus capabilities have improved over the years my need to take "insurance" shots has decreased proportionately. This is a key difference with the Z9 where I do not need to use Group AF and then sort through all the images where the camera focused on something other than the primary subject.

I don't do a lot of fps shooting and when I do I'm pretty conservative as I don't like a lot of culling of nearly identical photos. I also try to conserve memory on the computer and external hard drives. I know I miss many good shot opportunities this way but I guess I still kind of a miser regarding more than money.

As a majority wildlife shooter, I'm surprised if I ever come back from an outing with less than 2,500 photos.

20FPS adds up quickly, and I rarely bother bringing a camera out unless I'm going to be there 2+ hours.

As a majority wildlife shooter, I'm surprised if I ever come back from an outing with less than 2,500 photos.

20FPS adds up quickly, and I rarely bother bringing a camera out unless I'm going to be there 2+ hours.
Just a little over 2k is the most I’ve ever shot tbh. I do a fair amount of video as well which certainly fills the cards quickly whenever doing 4K 60 or 120 but for stills I am pretty conservative.

I am unsteady and tend to shake a bit. So, when not using a tripod or monopod, I will shoot at 6-8 fps. Even with the camera mounted I will shoot 4-5fpsbecause I still shake. Also same range when shooting flowers because a little bit of wind can move things around and change the shots.
When in Kearney, Nebraska for the Sandhill Cranes, I shot 9400 photos over one morning, one evening and one half-day driving around. In the morning you shoot from first available light to the last bird leaves which could be one hour or over 2 hours. In the evening you shoot from the first bird arrival until the guide makes you shut down. During the day, you chase birds in the fields and keep shooting.
I am a bit over the top but I am happy with the shots I kept and don't regret the time spent culling. I will typically cull 85-90% and process the rest. The keeper rate goes up if shooting focus shift stacks of flowers.

Last edited:
I have been following the recommendations of Mentor Steve and I am quick to shoot bursts at 20fps in various situations. On one occasion I nearly filled a 165 GB card in one trip.

Lately I have been a little less heavy with shorter bursts and exercising some editorial judgment. I still can generate several hundred images in a three or four hour field trip.

I am pretty conservative with how many images I take most of the time. Usually I will go out for 2-3 hours early morning and most of the time come home with 200-600 images that I normally cull thru roughly right away after loading into Lightroom. I think the most I’ve ever taken in a single outing was a little over 2000 and that was mostly due to doing numerous photo stacking shots for macro. To me it’s just overwhelming coming home with so many images to cull. I normally delete everything I don’t edit but keep the raw file for the edit and the edited tiff so I am definitely heavy handed with deleting. I’m just curious if most folks are in the same boat or shoot far more images when out.
lol I can do that in 3 seconds now lol :)

Just a little over 2k is the most I’ve ever shot tbh. I do a fair amount of video as well which certainly fills the cards quickly whenever doing 4K 60 or 120 but for stills I am pretty conservative.

A lot of my stuff is right at sunrise or sunset, so I'm handholding a 400TC and trying to get sharp images at 1/25 or slower. Spray and pray is the name of the game.

I've never really done anything with video, but I tried for the first time the other day and got like 100GB of footage and burned through a battery faster than ever... so I can definitely understand how video helps cut down on shots taken

Usually in a 3-4 hour outing I will average between 250-600. There have been times where I’ve shot less than 50 but not often. Sometimes , but not often I’ll get closer to 800-900. Of course when the opportunity presents itself it may be more. I normally will shoot in 4-5 frame burst unless BIF are involved . Then of course the burst will be larger. I shoot at 10 frames/sec

When shooting birds I am always in burst mode at 7/sec, to guard against inaccurate focus, closed eyes, movement, etc. My bursts are very short but frequent. On a good outing of a couple/few hours I will come home with 400 shots. With flash (studio shooting or macro), I shoot about half that. I hate culling sequences of similar shots but do it anyway because it ensures getting a better end result.

When shooting birds I am always in burst mode at 7/sec, to guard against inaccurate focus, closed eyes, movement, etc. My bursts are very short but frequent. On a good outing of a couple/few hours I will come home with 400 shots. With flash (studio shooting or macro), I shoot about half that. I hate culling sequences of similar shots but do it anyway because it ensures getting a better end result.
Yeah I hear ya with the culling, that's not something I want to spend hours doing. I like to be more methodical with what I photograph most of the time.

For the purposes of this forum, I am a lower volume shooter as for insects and wild flowers 80 to 90% of the time is finding a specimen in pristine condition against a good background. I can be as low as 100 unless focus stacking.
For active birds my number goes up.
For cycle circuit racing my number can go well beyond 1000

Back