How many images do you take in a normal outing?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

How many images do you normally take in a single outing?

• 0-100

Votes: 9 10.1%
  • 100-250

Votes: 10 11.2%
  • 250-500

Votes: 23 25.8%
  • 500-1000

Votes: 26 29.2%
  • 1000 and above

Votes: 21 23.6%

• Total voters
My daily count wildly varies. When I visit a nearby wildlife refuge I typically come back with around 700 to 1200 images. Nobody's mentioned using Photo Mechanic to very quickly go thru images, and assign a star value to the possible keepers. I then drag the possibles over to Lightroom and cull, and treat them Photoshop gets used too. Photo Mechanic takes a lot of the hassle out of going thru lots of exposures. If you find that you need to go thru a high number of shots, consider getting Photo Mechanic.

I am pretty conservative with how many images I take most of the time. Usually I will go out for 2-3 hours early morning and most of the time come home with 200-600 images that I normally cull thru roughly right away after loading into Lightroom. I think the most I’ve ever taken in a single outing was a little over 2000 and that was mostly due to doing numerous photo stacking shots for macro. To me it’s just overwhelming coming home with so many images to cull. I normally delete everything I don’t edit but keep the raw file for the edit and the edited tiff so I am definitely heavy handed with deleting. I’m just curious if most folks are in the same boat or shoot far more images when out.
If i do an event such as a game of soccer or surfing, athletics i may go 250-1000, street or model 100-250, wild life 100-250, i have always relied on skill sets of knowing my subject with anticipation so i don't become a wild spray and shoot person, on occasions if its a critical fast erratic subject then its a little different, i may go up in numbers a little but i do have a real emphasis of thinking of the subject first in many but not all cases, if its a unique moment of a real money shot action of course i keep the hammerer down.
I have learnt less is more.

I have the camera set at 5 fps with a Fn button set to 20 fps for instant access.

Back