How much should one invoke "Murphy's Law" when planning travel?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

GrandNagus50

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I ran across this article in today's New York Times:

Since I don't know whether the piece is locked behind a paywall, I will very quickly summarize: a woman was leaving for a long-planned and expensive ($17,000) Antarctic cruise, but when she went to check in with American Airlines (of course it was American) in Nashville, the rookie gate agent told her she needed travel documents that she did not, in fact, need to enter Chile. She missed the flight, she missed the cruise, and both American and AuroraExpeditions refused to compensate her. Yikes. She finally wrote to the Times, and the paper's "Travel Dispatch" columnist intervened on her behalf.
She got compensated.

The one thing the columnist told the woman she had done wrong was not to arrange such a short turnaround (less than a day) between her arrival in Chile and the departure of the cruise ship. This recommendation resonates with me at this very moment, as I am scheduled to leave Monday evening for Medellin, where I will join Glenn Bartley's two-week Colombia bird photography workshop. Meanwhile, I am smack dab in the middle of California's "atmospheric river," and another great big atmospheric river storm is headed our way on Monday, where it will last into the evening. As it stands, my flight (on American!) will depart for the first leg, SFO to Miami, at 10:30 pm or so. I am scheduled to arrive in Medellin around 2 pm on Monday.

But what if the flight is delayed or even canceled? Ok, I contacted Glenn, and he says that if I come in a day, or even two days late, he will arrange for a car to take me from Medellin to Jardin, where the group will spend the first three days of the trip. I will be out a couple of days of photography, but I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me.

In light of this, it occurs to me that perhaps for this kind of trip I should plan to fly to my destination a day early, just to be sure. I know lots of people do this, especially when traveling across time zones where there is a danger of jet lag. In fact, there is another member of this forum who is participating on this very same photo workshop and she will be arriving a day early. Kudos to her.

So my question (finally): how and how much do you plan for possible delays in your travel when you partake in long-distance photo workshops or heck, other types of vacation trips? Any stories to share? Tips?

Doug Greenberg

Well, I guess trip postponements or cancellations is a non-issue for forum members. That in itself tells me something.

Edit a few hours later: I guess I spoke too soon; there are some thoughtful answers that follow.

Last edited:
I always add an extra day to my trips, especially when there's an inflexible timetable involved or if I'm expected to be on-location for running a workshop / photo guiding. With the way air travel has been on teh last few years, I think it's more important than ever. I'd rather hang around at the hotel for an extra day than worry about a canceled flight.

On the other hand, if it's a driving trip here in the US and no one else is involved, I'm not too worried about anything.

Well, I guess trip postponements or cancelations is a non-issue for forum members. That in itself tells me something.
It is an issue for me. I think about it when planning my travel for each trip.

I try to arrive a day full early for trips if it would be difficult (and sometimes it is impossible) to catch up with the group if you are late at the beginning. I also try to avoid short connections if I have, as is often the case, a connecting flight or flights. So far I’ve been pretty fortunate, knock on wood.

I had a trip to Antarctica that had a built-in extra day with the group in Punta Arenas. But I went a day earlier than that anyway. I was able to find a number of interesting places for wildlife photography in and near Punta Arenas.

I read the story in the NYT. When I can, I avoid American. I prefer Delta or United. But I suspect this could happen with any airline.

Since I don't know whether the piece is locked behind a paywall, I will very quickly summarize: a woman was leaving for a long-planned and expensive ($17,000) Antarctic cruise, but when she went to check in with American Airlines (of course it was American) in Nashville, the rookie gate agent told her she needed travel documents that she did not, in fact, need to enter Chile. She missed the flight, she missed the cruise, and both American and AuroraExpeditions refused to compensate her. Yikes. She finally wrote to the Times, and the paper's "Travel Dispatch" columnist intervened on her behalf.
She got compensated.

The one thing the columnist told the woman she had done wrong was not to arrange such a short turnaround (less than a day) between her arrival in Chile and the departure of the cruise ship. This recommendation resonates with me at this very moment, as I am scheduled to leave Monday evening for Medellin, where I will join Glenn Bartley's two-week Colombia bird photography workshop. Meanwhile, I am smack dab in the middle of California's "atmospheric river," and another great big atmospheric river storm is headed our way on Monday, where it will last into the evening. As it stands, my flight (on American!) will depart for the first leg, SFO to Miami, at 10:30 pm or so. I am scheduled to arrive in Medellin around 2 pm on Monday.

But what if the flight is delayed or even canceled? Ok, I contacted Glenn, and he says that if I come in a day, or even two days late, he will arrange for a car to take me from Medellin to Jardin, where the group will spend the first three days of the trip. I will be out a couple of days of photography, but I don't expect anyone to feel sorry for me.

In light of this, it occurs to me that perhaps for this kind of trip I should plan to fly to my destination a day early, just to be sure. I know lots of people do this, especially when traveling across time zones where there is a danger of jet lag. In fact, there is another member of this forum who is participating on this very same photo workshop and she will be arriving a day early. Kudos to her.

So my question (finally): how and how much do you plan for possible delays in your travel when you partake in long-distance photo workshops or heck, other types of vacation trips? Any stories to share? Tips?

Doug Greenberg
I always try to leave at least 24 hours between travel legs for important connections. Catching a cruise is a good example. I too am going to Antarctica, and the cruise line is providing the charter flight from Buenos Aires to Ushuaia, where one boards the ship. I am getting to Buenos Aires in the morning 2 full days ahead of the flight farther south. This means the risk that I can "lose" 2 nights of hotel reservations is mitigated by I still have time to recover from a weather or mechanical delay and make the ship. Up side is that if flights go as planned, I have 2 days to explore a vibrant city and do street photography that will be totally different than icebergs and hopefully leopard seals.

jim

I recall the case. There were at least eight, non related passengers on the airline….tourists, business people Etc. they were under police custody at the airport in Santiago until they were frog marched to a plane to take them home. The issue was Chile needed a form for proof of covid vaccination … this was summer 2022, we were there. Now many certificates, like ours in the UK, are basically one pdf with proof of all inoculations. So people uploaded it just the once. Obvious right. Nope. Tne Chilean authorities demanded one upload for each individual inoculation. Ridiculous yes, but for those travellers, not funny. Some I recall had the paper certificates, but the authority wanted them on line!
That stuff you can’t plan for

... But I suspect this could happen with any airline.
It certainly can, and does. I used to fly all of the time, and of the US carriers I flew on, there wasn't one that didn't come with problems along the way. I always considered it a probability that I would be delayed or that luggage would be lost or delayed.

Small potatoes since a co-worker of mine was killed on Delta 191 at Dallas in August of 1985. (I hardly knew him as I'd started the job in mid-July, but still...)

Get me to my destination safely and we're good. Get me and my luggage to my destination on time and I'm very pleased. But I hardly ever fly any more, avoiding it if I can at all.

As far as the OP's question, I didn't invoke Murphy's when I flew, but I always expected to have Murphy onboard in one way or another! And I had a plan to keep him belted into his seat for the whole excursion, and worked hard to keep him there or get him back into his seat if he managed to get out of it at any time!

I think tours and cruises that have a specific start date and require air travel should have a day or two cushion at the beginning of the tour. The investment in a day or two of extra lodging/meals isn't that significant when you have a lot invested in the tour. If travel goes smoothly you have extra time to explore a city or just recover and acclimate.

I think it is prudent to build some contingency into any travel plan where there is a fixed time/date involved. Even by car, unforeseen traffic, accidents, road closures & re-routing or even flat tyres can cause significant delays

I always add an extra day to my trips, especially when there's an inflexible timetable involved or if I'm expected to be on-location for running a workshop / photo guiding. With the way air travel has been on teh last few years, I think it's more important than ever. I'd rather hang around at the hotel for an extra day than worry about a canceled flight.

On the other hand, if it's a driving trip here in the US and no one else is involved, I'm not too worried about anything.
I applaud you for that stance. I have seen tour leaders late for their own tour. Over booked or don't want to spend an extra day on site (cost, time, ...)

I try to arrive a day early in case of airline delays, luggage SNAFUs, and time to relax (and if necessary recover from jetlag). when I travel with my wife we cross pack so at least some of the clothing will be with us (if only 1 suitcase arrives). I avoid tight connections when I can.

Also I plan extra equipment, backup chargers, ... just in case

I try to arrive a day early in case of airline delays, luggage SNAFUs, and time to relax (and if necessary recover from jetlag). when I travel with my wife we cross pack so at least some of the clothing will be with us (if only 1 suitcase arrives). I avoid tight connections when I can.

Also I plan extra equipment, backup chargers, ... just in case
The cross packing when flying is a very good tip. Can be interesting during bag searches....bra and knickers in with you stuff lol

Four years ago my flight from Punta Arenas to Antarctica was brought forward from 8:00 am to 5 pm the day before. Our return flight was delayed nine hours - any longer and we would not have been able to fly that day and would have missed our main flight home.

She got compensated.

Doug Greenberg
I like to add at least a day to both ends of a trip, and often will add a week or more, just to wander on my own (depending on destination). For expensive and exotic trips, it’s always wise to purchase travel insurance, just in case.

Last edited:
My trips usually involve me flying in somewhere and renting a car and doing my own thing, but the one time I went on a more involved trip to Katmai, I scheduled the Katmai flight for three days into my trip and left a couple days on the other side as well.

I definitely am a big proponent of building in extra time for two reasons - 1) guarantee you arrive on time and 2) less stress.

My second trip to Africa we didn't book any extra time and our outbound flight from the US was cancelled due to smoke in the cockpit on the inbound flight and it delayed our departure by 15 hours which meant we lost a full day in Vic Falls. We were compensated by travel insurance and we saw the falls on our first trip so not a huge loss. However for our 3rd trip to Africa (which we just returned from 20 hours ago) we built in so many back-up plans that we knew we were OK - turns out everything went smoothly getting to Africa this time. (Return trip we were not so lucky ... thank you Ebola!) So while we wasted time in a hotel near JFK and another hotel in Entebbe Uganda, we didn't miss out on gorilla trekking (which you have to buy permits for a specific day eons in advance).

Murphy was an optimist. Murphy thought if anything can go wrong it will. The truth is if anything can go wrong, it already has, you just don't know it yet.

Yes, I spent my career as a project manager. :)
Jeff

I always try to arrive a full day in advance of any connection or onward departure. I never used to until a few years ago but the airlines have had such a poor record recently that I feel I need to spend the extra hotel night/car just for peace of mind.

Whether traveling via air or auto I always schedule to arrive 1 to 2 days early just in case there are delays of any kind. Once I arrive I use the extra days to check out the area for photo ops. I even schedule extra days for the return. Fortunately for me, I'm retired so these extra days don't affect me.

I'll be going on a two-week trip to Kenya in June with family and friends. We'll be flying from Edmonton to Amsterdam by KLM and stay there for two days. Then we will fly to Nairobi from Amsterdam and stay in Nairobi for two days before we head out on a 12-day trip to various parks. One of the reasons for adding these extra days is what's going on with various airlines and flights. Of course, staying in Amsterdam will give us opportunity to visit Amsterdam again and also to reduce some jet lag. We'll also get some time to see Nairobi that will include David Sheldrick Elephant Orphanage and Karen Blixen Museum.

I always plan to arrive one day early, sometimes 2 or 3 days early for especially long trips. This allows me to be well rested for significant time changes and also gives me a chance to explore the destination city I have flown to. It also gives me time to get delayed luggage or to go shopping if luggage is lost. On a trip to Chile's Patagonia a few years ago, my checked luggage arrived 24 hours late, but I had it by the time I met up with the group and travelled on. Last August on a trip to South Africa, we flew to Johannesburg and then to Durban where we were to meet the group, but were there 2 days early and had a delightful and relaxing time visiting the beach and eating in some great restaurants and by the time we met up with the group we were well rested and used to the time zone change.
The other contingency I plan for is having backup for photo gear that could be damaged. Not only do I have at least two camera bodies, but also lenses that will cover my needs if one lens is damaged or becomes inoperable. But I also consider other equipment, such as camera battery chargers. At one time, I had a brand new Nikon DSLR with EN-EL18 battery and a new charger which was found to be broken on my trip (I shook the charger and could hear loose wires rattling inside) - and I was the only Nikon shooter in the group, so I was done when my batteries ran out of juice.

I have traveled professionally for 28 years now and yes things have sure changed! I used to be able to fly out the morning of an appointment and do my meeting and catch a flight home. Now I have a lunch or dinner with a client I fly in the day before. I might still try and get out same day but likely wait until the morning. It’s added a lot of extra time away from home which sucks but the airlines are the worst I’ve ever seen.

If it’s less than a 6 hour drive I just drive rather than fly. If for personal unless it’s across country and I don’t have the time I’ll drive rather than fly.

We went out of town for Christmas 6 hours away and then for NYE we spent 5 days in Chicago visiting friends and drove the 10 hours vs flying. With the cancelations and weather in the Midwest I’m sure glad we drove! Made for a longer week for me but was cheaper and on my own schedule to just drive.

So yes if I was making a trip like that I’d come in a day or two early, get a hotel room and have the buffer. On the way home I wouldn’t as you can typically get a room last minute or sleep in the airport worse case.

I have traveled professionally for 28 years now and yes things have sure changed! I used to be able to fly out the morning of an appointment and do my meeting and catch a flight home. Now I have a lunch or dinner with a client I fly in the day before. I might still try and get out same day but likely wait until the morning. It’s added a lot of extra time away from home which sucks but the airlines are the worst I’ve ever seen.

If it’s less than a 6 hour drive I just drive rather than fly. If for personal unless it’s across country and I don’t have the time I’ll drive rather than fly.

We went out of town for Christmas 6 hours away and then for NYE we spent 5 days in Chicago visiting friends and drove the 10 hours vs flying. With the cancelations and weather in the Midwest I’m sure glad we drove! Made for a longer week for me but was cheaper and on my own schedule to just drive.

So yes if I was making a trip like that I’d come in a day or two early, get a hotel room and have the buffer. On the way home I wouldn’t as you can typically get a room last minute or sleep in the airport worse case.
I agree. I only fly when absolutely necessary. I find audiobooks make the time in the car "fly" by :)

Back