How much should one invoke "Murphy's Law" when planning travel?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Ivan Rothman wrote

"I had a brand new Nikon DSLR with EN-EL18 battery and a new charger which was found to be broken on my trip (I shook the charger and could hear loose wires rattling inside) - and I was the only Nikon shooter in the group, so I was done when my batteries ran out of juice."

This is where a power bank can come to the rescue as long as you can charge the battery in camera .
Of course phones, iPads earbuds etc. can also be charged if you are away from wall power.

Just make sure that it is OK for the airline you are on as some of them have limits on the capacity of power banks.
I believe that the 20,000 models are pretty well OK with most carriers but some seem to restrict starting at the 26,000 capacities.
I have a couple small power banks that I carry with me on most trips. They can put a couple charges in a cell phone or charge a battery for my camera.

Another thing I bring is my MacBook Pro laptop. I can charge my camera from that too and then recharge the laptop battery when it starts going south.

Jeff

I agree with this.. Safety should always be the top priority when driving, and it's natural for your focus to be on the road rather than on an audiobook... Perhaps you could explore other ways to enjoy books together with your wife..:)
If this were taken to heart no one could engage in a conversation while driving, nor listen to the radio for anything except perhaps background music. I do think that for most of us driving is the kind of activity where a person with any reasonable amount of experience and in situations where road conditions are not hazardous can go on semi-automatic and can use part of the brain to converse, listen to talk/news radio, and yes, listen to audiobooks. That said, when I listen to audiobooks there is the constant problem of my "zoning out" for short periods of time and ending up having to back the recording up and play it again.

But as for the original subject of this thread, I think we all choose a spot on the continuum of paranoia re things going wrong and we plan accordingly. I take two camera bodies on every trip, and I now plan for an extra day at the front end of very long international trips (but not shorter trips--live dangerously!) I pack my medications in my carry-on. But I pack my tripod and tripod head(s), plus some of my electronic "helpers" like power cords and adapters in my checked luggage. No regrets so far.

Most of my travels within the USA I will drive. I always schedule to be there 1 day early (as a minimum). If I'm going to a workshop I will usually arrive 3 or 4 days early so I can do some solo work and just see what's happening. When I attend a workshop in Cody, WY, to photograph Bighorn Sheep I always go 4 days early. Three days I spend searching for the wild mustangs , pronghorns, and bison. If the weather doesn't co-operate there is always the museum and other points of interest. It is not possible to do this during the workshop.

If I'm flying I usually try to arrive 1-2 days early depending where I'm going. When I did a safari in Kenya, I arrived 2 days early, do a little local stuff and just wind-down from 17 hrs. of air travel.

Most of my travels within the USA I will drive. I always schedule to be there 1 day early (as a minimum). If I'm going to a workshop I will usually arrive 3 or 4 days early so I can do some solo work and just see what's happening. When I attend a workshop in Cody, WY, to photograph Bighorn Sheep I always go 4 days early. Three days I spend searching for the wild mustangs , pronghorns, and bison. If the weather doesn't co-operate there is always the museum and other points of interest. It is not possible to do this during the workshop.

If I'm flying I usually try to arrive 1-2 days early depending where I'm going. When I did a safari in Kenya, I arrived 2 days early, do a little local stuff and just wind-down from 17 hrs. of air travel.
I, too, tend to arrive early when I travel internationally. Extra time helps with the jet lag. As far as arriving early to explore, I like to extend the trip so I can take advantage of information provided by the tour leader. I learn a lot about locations and opportunities on a tour ..

In my previous post (#45), I mentioned that my last Europe trip I missed a day going there due to cancelled connecting flight in London (and almost missed getting home due to train strike). Since that trip I have gone back (Spain one month ago) and had problems this time as well. Every flight was delayed, though I still made it the same night going to Madrid (just later). Coming home, however, the delay from Madrid to London meant I just missed my connecting flight from London to Phoenix and after waiting in line four hours with British Air to get rebooked the next day, had to spend a night at the overpriced hotel in terminal 3.

So yes, always make plans to get there a day early and be able to get home a day late. Thankfully I still had a few days vacation at the end of my trip so I did not have to miss work. (I eventually got reimbursed for the hotel from British Air).

Another incident on the Spain trip is that I severely scratched the side of the rental car in a tight parking garage. I rented it through Expedia and bought the optional insurance through them. When I picked up the car, Budget offered their insurance which means if the car is damaged you drop it off and go. I have done this often in the past in USA. Since I had the optional insurance through Expedia (via AIG) I declined, but that meant I had to pay over a thousand bucks on my credit card when returning the car and file a claim with AIG to get reimbursed. I eventually was (just last week), but it was stressful (plus what if the damage was more severe and they charged me five or ten thousand?). In the future I will always buy the insurance (collision damage waiver) directly at the rental car counter, even if it's more expensive, because it is worth it for the peace of mind. Same thing if your own insurance or credit card covers rental damage (which I believe mine does), you will still have to pay up front and seek to get reimbursed.

I spent my entire career in the airline business and I can tell you Murphy was an optimist. If it can possibly go wrong it will, look at it this way and do not try get clever and do a just in time connection. Also carry documentary evidence in hard copy of all entry requirements visa etc. check in staff are not always correctly informed or knowledgable.

I agree with this.. Safety should always be the top priority when driving, and it's natural for your focus to be on the road rather than on an audiobook... Perhaps you could explore other ways to enjoy books together with your wife..:)
Does her throwing them at me count? ;)

Back