How to carry camera with super telephoto lens attached & Peak Design slide strap use with this setup

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Looking for advice on best way to carry a camera with attached super telephoto lens. I have a Nikon Z7 with 24-70 and use the Peak Design Slide strap. I've recently purchased the Nikon 100-400 mirrorless lens. Should I be attaching my strap to the lens foot? (I'm currently waiting for the RRS LCF-21 arca swiss lens foot which is temporarily out of stock). Can I still use the Peak Design strap with this setup (is it secure enough)? Has anyone attached a RRS QD strap swivel to their Peak Design Slide strap? What are you using?

The best way to weaken your lens mounts is to carry a long, heavy lens and camera on a strap attached to the camera body itself. Believe me, I speak from experience 🥴 What I use is the wider Peak Design strap attached to a QD gizmo, which is popped into the lens foot, along with a safety strap and another QD gizmo attached to the camera itself. Maybe belt and suspenders, but the extra assurance of the safety strap gives me peace of mind.

The best way to weaken your lens mounts is to carry a long, heavy lens and camera on a strap attached to the camera body itself. Believe me, I speak from experience 🥴 What I use is the wider Peak Design strap attached to a QD gizmo, which is popped into the lens foot, along with a safety strap and another QD gizmo attached to the camera itself. Maybe belt and suspenders, but the extra assurance of the safety strap gives me peace of mind.
Ok, I also have the wider Peak Design strap. So your using the Peak Design anchor (QD gizmo) attached to the camera on one side and lens foot on the other side, right? Do you think this is strong enough for the 100-400? Technically, the PD anchor is suppose to support 400 lbs. :)->). What are you using for the safety strap?

Ok, I also have the wider Peak Design strap. So your using the Peak Design anchor (QD gizmo) attached to the camera on one side and lens foot on the other side, right? Do you think this is strong enough for the 100-400? Technically, the PD anchor is suppose to support 400 lbs. :)->). What are you using for the safety strap?
Here’s my setup - two RRS QD strap swivels, and a Black Rapid safety tether. The extra PD strap attachment you see in the photo is for when I’m not carrying the larger lens on the camera. If this isn’t strong enough to haul my rig, then I don’t know what is.

1682718323833.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I carry my 600mm f4 like this. This makes it easy to switch from handheld to a tripod without removing anything. Keep the arca plate on lens foot.
IMG_0314.jpeg

I have a lens plate with lugs on the front and back, and attach that to the lens foot. Been doing it for years and it’s the most comfortable method for me. The PD strap is nice for this because you can cinch it quickly to raise the lens up your back when you’re hiking.

Here’s my setup - two RRS QD strap swivels, and a Black Rapid safety tether. The extra PD strap attachment you see in the photo is for when I’m not carrying the larger lens on the camera. If this isn’t strong enough to haul my rig, then I don’t know what is.

View attachment 60055
I would get rid of the tether to the camera. If the QD fails so will the connection to the camera... that mount is not intended to hold that weight, especially torqued from a fall. Attach the tether to the plate if able, or a secondary safety strap to the lens itself.

I would get rid of the tether to the camera. If the QD fails so will the connection to the camera... that mount is not intended to hold that weight, especially torqued from a fall. Attach the tether to the plate if able, or a secondary safety strap to the lens itself.
Actually, that’s not at all true. I’ve tested it out and it works just fine in an emergency situation. That’s exactly what the safety strap and mount are designed to do. The alternative is to let the camera and lens fall to the ground - not what anyone wants.

I examined that Peak Design set and passed. I connect a Black Rapid strap to the lens foot on all lenses that have the foot. I.ve never had a concern, 15 years and counting

I wear the Lite Peak Design strap cross body and attached to camera and lens foot. I still hold the lens by the foot during long walks, especially if moving through brush. But if shooting another camera set up I don't mind the Z9+100-400 hanging on my side.

Actually, that’s not at all true. I’ve tested it out and it works just fine in an emergency situation. That’s exactly what the safety strap and mount are designed to do. The alternative is to let the camera and lens fall to the ground - not what anyone wants.
I am just suggesting that the safety strap be attached to the sling, not the camera. A falling lens will generate significant torque to the lens mount of the camera. It is better to have the sling take that weight rather than the camera. As an example, though it is not apples to apples, the FTZ is rated for 1300g, or about 2.75 pounds. The other rule of thumb is if the lens weighs more than the camera, use the lens foot to bear weight. For the Z9. it weighs 1340g with battery and media. Yes. there is some margin built in. And yes, your test may have worked, but even with normal lens removal, over time the lens mount can get bent...it is a normal repair for pro bodies. Significant torque can be cause by a falling lens as you, say, trip over a root in the woods, much more than a lens just hanging down. And the longer the lens, the greater the torque created. I use OpTech slings/straps. Their quick release snaps are rated to 100 lbs, and the strap itself several times that. My safety tether goes to the sling, carried cross shoulder, such that if the lens plate loosens, or the snaps give way, the lens does not fall to the ground but is caught by the tether attached to the sling.
Even the Z 70-200 and 100-400 weigh more than the Z9, so should be supported by the lens foot. For longer , heavier lenses, I would not rely on the camera lens mount as my backup.

View attachment 60055
I use virtually the same set-up, but with the safety tether attached to the Peak Design anchor on the strap mount

View attachment 60055
Hi Abinoone:
I have a Wimberley arcs Swiss plate on my lens foot, could I just buy that RRS QD gizmo & attach it straight to the Wimberley foot?
Is there a hole for it on the Wimberley?

One note about the QR socket setup. In the firearms world (where I believe they originated), these things ideally attach into steel vs aluminum sockets for wear resistance. People found out the hard way.

The QR male part itself is steel and the little ball bearings that pop in/out of the shaft are stainless steel.

Through walking about, the QR’s system’s part that actually holds the system together, the tiny hard stainless ball bearings, will eventually spin around enough in an aluminum socket to wear it out.

And then BOOM💥 goes your setup onto the rocks.

SOOO make sure your lens foot/plate has a stainless steel QR insert in the aluminum.

Some will mock me about this, but it’s a well-known problem. If you carry your setup this way a lot, it’s a no-brainer to use what I suggest. With a heavy setup, stainless steel wears right through aluminum.

Edit: here’s a Kirk foot with a stainless insert. I have no affiliation with them or anyone else. I think ProMedia Gear also uses this setup, as do others, I’m sure.
53A87ECD-F9F5-41EE-8A46-F0CA6F6E7C30.jpeg

Last edited:
Abinoone. Did you ever consider attaching the Peak Design anchor directly to the lens foot? I'm still waiting for the RRS LCF21 foot (temporarily out of stock) so I'm not sure if there is a way to directly attach the PD anchor. Seems like there is two points of failure, the PD anchor and RRS QD gizmo. Don't get me wrong. I love my PD slide strap and I'm looking for any option to continue to use it with the new larger lens. Your photo was very helpful.

Abinoone. Did you ever consider attaching the Peak Design anchor directly to the lens foot? I'm still waiting for the RRS LCF21 foot (temporarily out of stock) so I'm not sure if there is a way to directly attach the PD anchor. Seems like there is two points of failure, the PD anchor and RRS QD gizmo. Don't get me wrong. I love my PD slide strap and I'm looking for any option to continue to use it with the new larger lens. Your photo was very helpful.
Hello again. I did look at attaching the PD anchor to the lens foot, but didn’t really like that it couldn’t easily be detached, or the way the camera/lens hung. Using the QD anchors, my whole rig is well balanced, and is easy to detach whenever I mount the camera to a tripod. I’ve never had an issue since I switched to the QD system. Good luck!

Hi Abinoone:
I have a Wimberley arcs Swiss plate on my lens foot, could I just buy that RRS QD gizmo & attach it straight to the Wimberley foot?
Is there a hole for it on the Wimberley?
Hi,
Not familiar with this foot but from the photos of it in the Internet, there doesn’t appear to be a QD socket. I know that I needed to buy a new plate with a QD socket when I decided to switch to using the QD releases.

Check out this thread too

I have QD foot for long lens and QD foot for camera.
if the lens has no foot, my neck strap to camera takes the weight.
if the lens has a foot, I use a strap to that so the lens takes the weight and the other strap to the camera is backup

Would you have a photo of this setup? It's not clear to me ... safety tether attached to Peak Design anchor on the strap mount.
Here's a photo of my set-up. The safety tether is a Peak design loop that I found in my "extras" box at home, but I don't see it on their website now.
IMG_4209.jpg

Back