How to get this type of photo with flash?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

BPOTY-Birds-in-Flight-Gold.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
dd7d9c98-05ae-4f1a-ac6e-e232ff2882d5.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Saw these types of shots win photo contests and I'm wondering what is the technique with flash used here? How can I replicate it?

Mod edit:
source is in the public domain, and image has the photographer’s copyright

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is the shooting data for the large bird in flight from the 2020 contest. Flash settings were not shown in Nikon NX Studio. I agree with other posters that Rear curtain flash (Nikon term) was used; Second curtain for Canon shooters. Nikon D5, 300mm, 1/8 sec, f 11, ISO 160. Jpeg image downloaded from 2020 BPOY website.

See
Screenshot (800).png
attached scree shot for shooting data.

Last edited:
It's a little unclear what is allowed as far as copyright goes. Just because a photo is on a website does not make it public domain. Especially since those photos had a copyright in the metadata wouldn't one need the owners permission to duplicate them? I know there is fair use exception for certain things like critique and instruction, but even so posting a link would be better than copying the photo without permission. I am still unsure what is fair use or not. Maybe some legal experts can clarify?

Back