How To Nail The Shot - Costa Rica Edition!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After Arbitrage shared some of his setup on the forum, I assigned "tracking on" to the AF_ON button and AF w/shutter ON. Still trying to figure out what works best but kinda liking it so far, no Osprey yet.
That's similar to what I use, but I use it with BBAF, so AF-On is Tracking, AEL is normal AF and shutter release, is just well, shutter release. I've been using it that way since mid-summer and I really like it.

It's another "How To Nail The Shot" video!

The last "Nail The Shot" video was received incredibly well so I decided to do another, this time focusing on Costa Rica (although the tips apply to wildlife anywhere). In this video, we'll look at eight different images from Costa Rica and talk about the challenges each presented, how I handled them, and what settings I used (I went into more detail this time as requested).

I think you'll really enjoy this one - it's packed with a TON of practical, field-tested advice that's sure to help on your next outing (even if that outing isn't in Costa Rica).

Wonderful video Steve. What is the noise reduction software and the workflow you use for that ?

Wonderful video Steve. What is the noise reduction software and the workflow you use for that ?

I use several (on1, and Topaz, and some just using my Lightroom & Photoshop techniques). I try to do noise reduction after I get the basic adjustments done. I don't want to add things like clarity or texture to an image before NR since that kind of thing increases the noise and makes it harder to fix. Color, some exposure, even white and black points are usually OK before noise reduction (although if the white and black points are extreme I might wait until I'm done with noise reduction since that will increase the apparent noise). While I'm in Photoshop dealing with noise, I also that that opportunity to clone out / clean up any items that require it.

Once NR is done, I usually send the image back to Lightroom to finish it.

Great video, Steve, thanks! Makes me want to hang out with you and Rose in Costa Rica sometime soon. And I do mean soon - I could use a nice break from 4-degree Buffalo about now! 🥶

I use several (on1, and Topaz, and some just using my Lightroom & Photoshop techniques). I try to do noise reduction after I get the basic adjustments done. I don't want to add things like clarity or texture to an image before NR since that kind of thing increases the noise and makes it harder to fix. Color, some exposure, even white and black points are usually OK before noise reduction (although if the white and black points are extreme I might wait until I'm done with noise reduction since that will increase the apparent noise). While I'm in Photoshop dealing with noise, I also that that opportunity to clone out / clean up any items that require it.

Once NR is done, I usually send the image back to Lightroom to finish it.
Thank you 👍

Back