How to remove branch in front of the Kingfisher with out touching the fish

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Venkatesh VT

Supporting Member
Marketplace
DSC07777__Sakrabel.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
I have number of shots (nearly thirty of them ) where the branch is a spoil sport.Any easy method to remove the branch with Photoshop beta with out affecting the fish?

Unfortunately the fish is obscured by the branch....leaving very little details of the fish. Removing the branch is fairly easy....but re-building the fish will be difficult. Do you have other images showing the beak/fish in different positions relative to the branch? Perhaps you could make a composite using "good parts" of the beak/fish from other images to cover the distorted parts in this image.

I guess I would give the automated tools a try but go for a small section at a time. Then clean up with the more standard tools. The ai generative fill is pretty good, as is the remove tool. If those need cleaning up the Patch tool set to content aware would be my go to. Select a small area and move the mouse to the area you want to draw content from, then use the color and structure sliders to get closer. I suspect it will also take some hand work with the clone tool or the healing brush (set to replace if it is near an edge, or regular if not near an edge. Not going to be easy. Work in a new layer for each part to save having to re-do. You'll have to invent parts drawing on pixels most similar to what is missing. The clone tool has a sophisticated source ability. Enable it in Window/clone source (or similar name). I believe it can source even other open images or specific layers.

Last edited:
Don't try to fix the fish (at least initially). Mask/avoid removing the fish, heal/remove/whatever the blurred line. Decide if it is worth trying to fix the fish.

I didn’t watch the video but color masking would work although your tones seem closer than the dog and grass. Also over the fish it seems there is a complete blockage of the fish in a few spots near the tail so you would need to refill those. Hope you give it a try.

Back