How to reset a Nikon Z7ii when no access to screen

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

jhallettbc

Supporting Member
Marketplace
I have been playing around with my new camera and experimenting with settings. I have found the settings for viewfinder and/or screen a little confusing. I have inadvertently made the screen go blank and I cannot even access the menu although I can see through the viewfinder and take photos. I have tried to find if there is 2 button reset like on a DSLR but have found nothing. There are no green buttons like on a DSLR.

Any ideas anyone?

Any ideas anyone?
You should be able to turn the rear LCD back on by toggling through the display settings using the button the side of the viewfinder housing.

If you can't activate the rear panel LCD via the monitor selector on the side of the viewfinder housing then I'd look through the EVF and use the menu to navigate to Limit Monitor Mode Selection in the Setup menu (wrench icon) as you may have deselected the ability to toggle through to enable the rear panel LCD.

You should be able to turn the rear LCD back on by toggling through the display settings using the button the side of the viewfinder housing.
I wish it was that easy. Using that button does nothing and I didn't set the viewfinder to 'only' so there is no menu to see in the viewfinder.r Literally the only button that works is the shutter (well, maybe the others do but I can't see anything) .

That's why I'm wondering about a button reset. I know there is one in the menu if I could see it.
Unfortunately the Nikon Z7 II does not include a two button reset the way the DSLRs did. There may be some unadvertised combo of buttons that Nikon Service could help you with but unlike their DSLRs there isn't a simple two button reset.

Using that button does nothing and I didn't set the viewfinder to 'only' so there is no menu to see in the viewfinder
That's very odd, I've never set any of my Nikon mirrorless cameras to Viewfinder Only but have no problem viewing the menus through the viewfinder. Something is very strange if the menus can't be viewed through the EVF as that's something I do all the time. So if you're viewing the scene through the EVF and while continuing to hold the camera up to your eye you hit the Menu button everything goes dark?

One other possibility, if the eyecup shifts or something blocks the EVF sensor near the eyecup the camera will stay in EVF mode so it's probably worth double checking that the EVF sensor isn't blocked by anything.

Unfortunately the Nikon Z7 II does not include a two button reset the way the DSLRs did. There may be some unadvertised combo of buttons that Nikon Service could help you with but unlike their DSLRs there isn't a simple two button reset.

That's very odd, I've never set any of my Nikon mirrorless cameras to Viewfinder Only but have no problem viewing the menus through the viewfinder. Something is very strange if the menus can't be viewed through the EVF as that's something I do all the time. So if you're viewing the scene through the EVF and while continuing to hold the camera up to your eye you hit the Menu button everything goes dark?

One other possibility, if the eyecup shifts or something blocks the EVF sensor near the eyecup the camera will stay in EVF mode so it's probably worth double checking that the EVF sensor isn't blocked by anything.
All is solved. When I had my eye to the viewfinder and pushed Menu, then lo and behold the menu appeared in the viewfinder. The problem was in experimenting, I had selected viewfinder only, and didn't realize the menu appeared there. Well I certainly know what viewfinder only does now, lol.
Thanks for your help.

Back