Humpback Whale and Iceberg

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Kathy G

Taken a few years ago in Trinity, Newfoundland. Nikon D600 with Nikon 70-200 F4 lens. I used 70 mm and only did a bit of cropping for composition. Feel free to offer suggestions for improvement.
TrinityCamClub17_273-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Very well done, I like the block of black opposing the block of white and the lighting is very nice.
Thanks Warren. I never thought about the contrast between the whale and iceberg in terms of contrast - so thanks for pointing that out. I always liked the fact that I captured 2 iconic images of Newfoundland in one photo. The icebergs are usually gone before the whales show up. This photo was taken in the middle of June which is usually a bit early for whales.

Wow! That's really great. I love this perspective. The tail shots have been overdone, but this shot of an open mouth is amazing.
Thanks Marmotguy. Whales that are eating are always fun. This whale was using a bubble net. The whale blows bubbles which catches fish and then the whale rises above the water to get the fish.

The only improvement would be if I took it...hehe. that’s a fabulous shot Kathy!
Thanks Gordon

Awesome shot Kathy...great composition.
Thanks Yezdi

VERY nice image! Like the open mouth! Since you asked, if possible, open the shadows inside the mouth a bit so show more detail.
Thanks Callie. I have already opened up the shadows in the mouth. But I will try opening them up a bit more. When I was fiddling with the mouth I had trouble getting it right - it seemed either too little or too much. But I will try again. Thanks, I appreciate the constructive comments.

Nice picture but way too cold for me to even contemplate going there...
You speak MY language!

Lol, Newfoundland may be north, but it has a maritime climate so the winters are relatively mild (usually -4 C during the day which is nothing like Alberta's -30 C) and the summers are in the high teens and low 20s - C. Having said that, no one comes to Newfoundland for the weather. It tends to be wet, windy and foggy and we can have an immense amount of snow in the winter. But for nature photographers the place is awesome - whales, icebergs, puffins, gannets, moose, caribou, incredible scenery, rough North Atlantic waves, etc. Honestly, not a bad place to visit from June to October.

Lol, Newfoundland may be north, but it has a maritime climate so the winters are relatively mild (usually -4 C during the day which is nothing like Alberta's -30 C) and the summers are in the high teens and low 20s - C. Having said that, no one comes to Newfoundland for the weather. It tends to be wet, windy and foggy and we can have an immense amount of snow in the winter. But for nature photographers the place is awesome - whales, icebergs, puffins, gannets, moose, caribou, incredible scenery, rough North Atlantic waves, etc. Honestly, not a bad place to visit from June to October.
I am sure that it is stunningly wild and beautiful but us folk in Africa put on a jumper at anything below 20 degrees.... above freezing

I am sure that it is stunningly wild and beautiful but us folk in Africa put on a jumper at anything below 20 degrees.... above freezing
I too put on a sweater when it is below 20 C above freezing. So, bring a sweater! You can buy a lovely hand knit wool sweater here :)

I would love to get to South Africa - and no, I will not find it too hot - I love the heat!

Amazing! What a cool shot. Tail shots are a dime a dozen. More than one subject is rarely successful. Great work. I don't really do the cold, but I would love to visit that part of the world.

Back