Humpback Whale and Iceberg

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I too put on a sweater when it is below 20 C above freezing. So, bring a sweater! You can buy a lovely hand knit wool sweater here :)

I would love to get to South Africa - and no, I will not find it too hot - I love the heat!
A good day in the Kalahari in summer runs up to 45C but it is dry heat. Kruger on the other hand when 40C is humid and it feels as if you are in a sauna. But I concur, you have wonderful critters up north!

A good day in the Kalahari in summer runs up to 45C but it is dry heat. Kruger on the other hand when 40C is humid and it feels as if you are in a sauna. But I concur, you have wonderful critters up north!
Well, maybe that is a bit hot. Our critters don't compare to your critters!

Kathy,
Great Shot ! I love Newfoundland. Been there 3 times in my younger years. All camping trips. Hope to get back there some day. I’ll have to post an iceberg shot. Will have to sort through my Kodachrome 64 slides. :unsure:

Kathy,
Great Shot ! I love Newfoundland. Been there 3 times in my younger years. All camping trips. Hope to get back there some day. I’ll have to post an iceberg shot. Will have to sort through my Kodachrome 64 slides. :unsure:
Thanks Ralph. I would love to see your iceberg photos. Hopefully you can return again - tourist services are probably a lot better than they were back in Kodachrome days (lots of places now have Zodiac tours for whales, icebergs and puffins and these tours are awesome).

Thanks Ralph. I would love to see your iceberg photos. Hopefully you can return again - tourist services are probably a lot better than they were back in Kodachrome days (lots of places now have Zodiac tours for whales, icebergs and puffins and these tours are awesome).
Kathy,
Here are a few photos from almost 40 years ago. Two of the icebergs were located at the mouth of St. John’s inlet.
I can’t remember the locations of the other two.
5DE4BB7C-A969-4920-B9CE-EEC09C94DBE1.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
D1B55373-DA1D-4663-863B-66E869F4F5D5.jpeg
756C730F-2C96-4EDA-BBEA-A82C50EB862F.jpeg

The top three are at the inlet of St.John’s

458A5611-B80E-491E-9041-A77209DD7691.jpeg
156AEB4F-B7AA-485F-B8AE-01B6CE6CBDEA.jpeg

Not sure which bay these top two are located in. I think one is Conception Bay.

Great photos Ralph. I love the old film colours. Some of those bergs look really big. I know someone who has recently taken a photo of an iceberg that has become somewhat famous. The photo was made into a postal stamp! Google Ferryland Iceberg and you should come across the photo. Then google the photographer, he has some awesome photos of Newfoundland. Recently he photographed a humpback breaching - the best breach photo I have ever seen.

Great photos Ralph. I love the old film colours. Some of those bergs look really big. I know someone who has recently taken a photo of an iceberg that has become somewhat famous. The photo was made into a postal stamp! Google Ferryland Iceberg and you should come across the photo. Then google the photographer, he has some awesome photos of Newfoundland. Recently he photographed a humpback breaching - the best breach photo I have ever seen.
I’ll check it out. When we arrived on the island we never expected to see icebergs. It was a real treat.

Back