Hungry turtle

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

IMG_0052.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Beautiful and colorful. I would tone down the orange as it takes your eye to the bright orange - and not the turtle. With editing you could make the turtle stand out more and the background to be less prominent Mr Fish to the right is gorgeous

Maybe it is the water, but to my eye everything is highly śaṭurated, which makes nothing stand out because everything stands out. Maybe check out keeping saturation up on the turtle but lowering it on some of the less important things?

Underwater photography is extremely difficult. Been there - done that! LOL!

Nice composition and subject matter. The lighting is nice although in capture you might dial back the lighting just a wee bit. Is this natural light or do you have underwater strobes? The water is clear with no back scatter visible - nice job. Since the fish don't take direction well at all and the marine life and plants are in constant motion, you did a very nice job!

Maybe it is the water, but to my eye everything is highly śaṭurated, which makes nothing stand out because everything stands out. Maybe check out keeping saturation up on the turtle but lowering it on some of the less important things?
Actually many of the colors underwater are very saturated. HERE are some underwater images I took years ago as an example of the colorful world that is under the surface.

Why does Colour disappear in water?

Water absorbs different wavelengths of light to different degrees. The longest wavelengths, with the lowest energy, are absorbed first. Red is the first to be absorbed, followed by orange & yellow. The colors disappear underwater in the same order as they appear in the color spectrum.

It depends at what depth images are taken - and how clear the water is. It also depends on if you used a profile or shooting style or picture style - and how you processed those image. But the long and the short is - colour disappears the deeper you go

Why does Colour disappear in water?

Water absorbs different wavelengths of light to different degrees. The longest wavelengths, with the lowest energy, are absorbed first. Red is the first to be absorbed, followed by orange & yellow. The colors disappear underwater in the same order as they appear in the color spectrum.

It depends at what depth images are taken - and how clear the water is. It also depends on if you used a profile or shooting style or picture style - and how you processed those image. But the long and the short is - colour disappears the deeper you go
It is true that light and depth have a lot to do with how the colors appear. However, if you use a flashlight or strobes underwater, you will see the true colors. That is the reason that colors in very shallow water are more colorful. Most underwater photographers use dual strobes to reveal the true colors of fish and marine life at depth.

Back