Hybrid log–gamma for stills (HLG)

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

so it looks like the z8 is going to support HLG for stills and this also impacts the recordings of RAW files.

we had some discussion going on in the z8 thread, but i figured this is enough of a detour that maybe it was worth it's own thread.

so, i have a very incomplete idea about how this works, but it seems very interesting.

after reading around, i get the impression that (and folks can jump in here and correct me) that one of the following curves are used to control the distribution of the data in the raw image, then the inverse of the curve is applied at decode time. so basically it allows to organize the data in the file differently to be able to cover more dynamic range with the same data.

if i'm reading that true, it seems like this could be useful, even if we are not attempting HDR photos, but it seems like HDR is indeed something this can make possible.

it also seems that adobe picked up support back in 2022, so perhaps if the inverse curve is applied to the raw for viewing, maybe that explains @Steve 's observation that the SDR and HLG images seemed to have the same histogram 🤔

thoughts?

some links

so it looks like the z8 is going to support HLG for stills and this also impacts the recordings of RAW files.

we had some discussion going on in the z8 thread, but i figured this is enough of a detour that maybe it was worth it's own thread.

so, i have a very incomplete idea about how this works, but it seems very interesting.

after reading around, i get the impression that (and folks can jump in here and correct me) that one of the following curves are used to control the distribution of the data in the raw image, then the inverse of the curve is applied at decode time. so basically it allows to organize the data in the file differently to be able to cover more dynamic range with the same data.

if i'm reading that true, it seems like this could be useful, even if we are not attempting HDR photos, but it seems like HDR is indeed something this can make possible.

it also seems that adobe picked up support back in 2022, so perhaps if the inverse curve is applied to the raw for viewing, maybe that explains @Steve 's observation that the SDR and HLG images seemed to have the same histogram 🤔

thoughts?

some links

It does - these are the HEIF alternative to JPG — select in Quality - JPED/HEIF then [in ????Thom Hogan mentioned it ] select HIGH QUALITY selects HEIF (NORMAL selects JPG). The 10-bit HEIF files so more data that 8-bit jpg but better compression - I have not seen size comparisons yet. But the images I looked appear to have better tones/colours

Last edited:
Back