I am hoping that the Nikon Z8 will be the Nikon D850 that I never owned - Update: preorder placed - will be shipped to me May 25 - shipped - delivered

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It is always great to go to Churton Street and hand over a small deposit.
Photo London is one of the better creative exhibitions to try to understand what is popular these days. My summary is there was a lot of impressionistic work and comping. As well as a fair bit of heritage work and heritiate looking styles. I wonder about seeing what catches my eye -- I look for photo realism and clear sharp images rather than misty blurs -- the same is true when I go to the NHM to see the wildlife photographer of the year.
As to the Nikon event -- I did not get to the launch -- I was placing an order -- I hope to be invited to the roadshow - Rob McN used my kingfisher shot for the Z9 -- I hope to have a Z8 in my hands so I can try to get some great action shots but all depends.

If by they you mean the Wildlife photographer of the year - then yes the presentation of "abuse" and "impressionism" has grown and grown to the level of virtue signaling.
There was a time when WPY was dominated by great images and work -- now ........ well who is to say. I am firmly in the natural traditional photography -- so no drones, no comping and no tempting, training or abuse of the subjects -- very much along and in congruence with the FIAP guidelines for both wildlife and traditional photography.

I am pleased and excited to say that I got an email today from B&H.

My Nikon Z8 camera will be shipped to me tomorrow.

Yay for me!!!

It looks like a lot of photographers are going to be really happy very soon.

I checked to see if my Z8 got shipped today. Delivery is scheduled for Saturday.

Screenshot 2023-05-25 at 5.35.28 PM.png

Last edited:
Well ... I have been lusting after a new camera for a number of years, saving money, watching the changes from DSLR to mirrorless, saving more money, almost buying a Z9 but deciding to wait for the Z8, placing an order with B&H at 8:10 AM on May 25 for my Z8, waiting patiently, OK impatiently, and then a little while ago FedEx stopped at my door and delivered this package.

I wonder what it is?
Z8-1.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Well ... if you guessed my Z8, you are correct (how could you miss that one?). The battery is charging. The camera feels perfect in my partially disabled right hand. I will do some preliminary setup and then attach my new 70-200 Z lens and play a while. This is a great day.

Would I be pushing it too far to say the Nikon Z8 is a thing of beauty?
Z8-2.jpg
Z8-3.jpg
Z8-4.jpg
Z8-5.jpg
Z8-6.jpg
Z8-7.jpg

Last edited:
Back